Question for cradle Catholics and converts to Catholicism

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tommy999
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Tommy…I made a mistake and called you a different name…sorry…good question that provides one heart felt answers instead of more questions…
No problem, KathleenGee. Our names are fairly close (Tommy and Tomyris) so I understand why you might have done that. By the way, I took it as a compliment. While I don’t know Tomyris, I’ve read some of her posts and she impresses me with her knowledge. I think she is a Presbyterian and I was born and raised one until my college years.

I like it when you comment on any of the posts I start. When you do, I know it will be a thoughtful and insightful reply.
 
Convert here…

I’ve been realizing lately that being a participating member of the Church is a choice, more so than in the past. Cradle Catholics seem to know more of the answers to all the “how do you know that” or “what is that all about” and “how do things get done at the parish” questions and just seem to know everyone at the parish. They have the “inside scoop”.

So, I’d say tradition, longevity.

It’s also really hard to tell who is a convert and who is a cradle Catholic, which is nice. I have a friend who I thought was a cradle Catholic, but it turns out that she’s a convert (I didn’t know her when she wasn’t Catholic). You just never know who you are going to run into because the Church is so diverse.
 
Hello all,
In my time on CAF, I’ve run across lots of cradle Catholics and Catholic converts, many from protestant faith traditions. I enjoy interacting with each. I tend to relate a little more to converts because I am a protestant and many of the converts can relate to my background and where I am at in my faith journey.

I have a couple of questions of curiosity:

Questions:
Question for Cradle Catholics:
In general, what traits and characteristics do Catholic converts have that helps strengthen you, your parish and the Catholic Church in general?
They have a more *studied *faith-they converted of their own accord, obviously, so their witness is often quite powerful.
Question for Catholic Converts:
In general, what traits and characteristics do cradle Catholics have that helps strengthen you, your parish and the Catholic Church in general?
Since I’m a “revert”, a cradle Catholic who left the Church for over 25 years and later returned, I’ll take a stab at this one too. I came to appreciate the steadfast faith of many Catholics, a faith I doubted at the time I left. Even though they might not have questioned or struggled with it much, there is often great value in their faith as it serves as the backbone of the Church.
 
They have a more *studied *faith-they converted of their own accord, obviously, so their witness is often quite powerful.

Since I’m a “revert”, a cradle Catholic who left the Church for over 25 years and later returned, I’ll take a stab at this one too. I came to appreciate the steadfast faith of many Catholics, a faith I doubted at the time I left. Even though they might not have questioned or struggled with it much, there is often great value in their faith as it serves as the backbone of the Church.
Thanks for the reply, fhansen. I’ve always been interested in knowing whether leaving and coming back helps the person’s faith, like the story of the prodigal son, or whether it is not like that at all.
 
Thanks for the reply, fhansen. I’ve always been interested in knowing whether leaving and coming back helps the person’s faith, like the story of the prodigal son, or whether it is not like that at all.
Well, it was for me. I left, honestly not knowing if I believed the essential message of Christianity that the CC had taught me, and then returned to a basic, personal faith several years later- only after much time spent looking seriously into various religions and belief systems and then beginning to fall in love with the bible, to my own surprise. Much later, after a fairly long stint with conservative Protestantism, I returned to the Catholic Church, which was even more surprising to me. God works in mysterious ways and all. 🙂
 
I’m an upcoming convert to the church. My heart and soul are already with the church, I’m just waiting for confirmation this May. One side of my family is Catholic, and I was baptized as a baby but not raised in the church.

I appreciate cradle Catholics for a few reasons. Primarily, they tend to know the ins and outs of how things are done and the differences I can expect at different kinds of parishes. They also have often experienced the growing pains of the church and can tell me how things have changed over the decades, and help me understand divisions such as the SSPX. I am well studied in religion, history and especially the history of Christianity, but some of the Catholic specific history I am not as versed in. They also tend to know the saints well. When they talk about their experiences with their Catholic family, it also gives me something to relate to and some grounding for the spiritual experience of joining the church.
 
When Bishop Braum was our bishop (San Diego), he prohibited referring to people coming into the faith as “converts”. The rationale was that “conversion” is to turn away from sin and to turn toward God, and thus, all Catholics, whether born into the faith, or coming from other faith traditions later in life are converts, and our entire life should be one of continued conversion.

I always like that thought, in that it upholds our profession that we are all part of “ONE holy catholic and apostolic church”.

Peace and all good!
 
When Bishop Braum was our bishop (San Diego), he prohibited referring to people coming into the faith as “converts”. The rationale was that “conversion” is to turn away from sin and to turn toward God, and thus, all Catholics, whether born into the faith, or coming from other faith traditions later in life are converts, and our entire life should be one of continued conversion.

I always like that thought, in that it upholds our profession that we are all part of “ONE holy catholic and apostolic church”.

Peace and all good!
True. I like that.
 
Well, it was for me. I left, honestly not knowing if I believed the essential message of Christianity that the CC had taught me, and then returned to a basic, personal faith several years later- only after much time spent looking seriously into various religions and belief systems and then beginning to fall in love with the bible, to my own surprise. Much later, after a fairly long stint with conservative Protestantism, I returned to the Catholic Church, which was even more surprising to me. God works in mysterious ways and all. 🙂
Thanks for sharing part of your personal experience with us, fhansen. Like the old Joni Mitchell song, ‘I’ve Looked at Love from Both Sides Now’, it sounds like you’ve looked at Christianity from both sides during your lifetime, like a lot of converts have.

Follow up question:
Do you consider yourself more well-rounded in your faith from having experienced both Catholicism and conservative Protestantism (all things work for good approach) or do you regret your time as a Protestant? No need to answer if you don’t want. I was just curious.
 
I’m an upcoming convert to the church. My heart and soul are already with the church, I’m just waiting for confirmation this May. One side of my family is Catholic, and I was baptized as a baby but not raised in the church.

I appreciate cradle Catholics for a few reasons. Primarily, they tend to know the ins and outs of how things are done and the differences I can expect at different kinds of parishes. They also have often experienced the growing pains of the church and can tell me how things have changed over the decades, and help me understand divisions such as the SSPX. I am well studied in religion, history and especially the history of Christianity, but some of the Catholic specific history I am not as versed in. They also tend to know the saints well. When they talk about their experiences with their Catholic family, it also gives me something to relate to and some grounding for the spiritual experience of joining the church.
Thanks for the insights, newcalling. Your answer makes a lot of sense and is the kind of thing I was looking for when I started the thread.

SSPX? I am not familiar with that term within Catholicism.
 
When Bishop Braum was our bishop (San Diego), he prohibited referring to people coming into the faith as “converts”. The rationale was that “conversion” is to turn away from sin and to turn toward God, and thus, all Catholics, whether born into the faith, or coming from other faith traditions later in life are converts, and our entire life should be one of continued conversion.

I always like that thought, in that it upholds our profession that we are all part of “ONE holy catholic and apostolic church”.

Peace and all good!
Yes, I agree, Neofight. Sorry for using the term *convert *in my post. I didn’t know of any other term to distinguish between Catholics who grew up Catholic and those who came from other Christian faith traditions and I had heard the term ‘convert’ mentioned a lot of CAF so I thought it was ok to use since it was a commonly used term and understood by everyone.

I agree with you and the statement from the bishop that Catholics throughout the world are united in their faith and should live a life of continued conversion.

I was a little reluctant to start this topic for this reason, but as a potential convert myself I wanted to get a better idea as to the interaction between cradle Catholics and those who joined Catholicism later in life from other Christian faith traditions.

Sometimes I get annoyed when I hear people say stuff like, "I’m a Mexican-American, Irish-American, German-American, African-American, etc’.

We’re all Americans who live in the U.S, so I understand where you are coming from when we distinguish between types of Catholics, but for the sake of my topic I thought it was appropriate in this case.
 
Thanks for sharing part of your personal experience with us, fhansen. Like the old Joni Mitchell song, ‘I’ve Looked at Love from Both Sides Now’, it sounds like you’ve looked at Christianity from both sides during your lifetime, like a lot of converts have.

Follow up question:
Do you consider yourself more well-rounded in your faith from having experienced both Catholicism and conservative Protestantism (all things work for good approach) or do you regret your time as a Protestant? No need to answer if you don’t want. I was just curious.
I value every step of the way. Without them I wouldn’t be where I am. And that includes the dead ends and wrong turns. But Protestantism, to me, is an arm of the church; the expressions of faith there are valid and often personally profitable and productive.for God’s kingdom. But God wants unity in his Church, and I know now that this means physical, visible unity as well. My main objections to Catholism in the past (I had become quite anti-Catholic at one point), really had little basis when I began to look more deeply into it-and those objections began to melt away. And I came to appreciate, more and more, the wisdom of the Church, the legacy of thought and the resulting knowledge of God that was first inspired by Christ at her beginning, and has continued to mature to this day. Protestsnts have contributed here as well at times And that’s really the point. There’s only one Church, always has been, and there’s no need for more.
 
I value every step of the way. Without them I wouldn’t be where I am. And that includes the dead ends and wrong turns. But Protestantism, to me, is an arm of the church; the expressions of faith there are valid and often personally profitable and productive.for God’s kingdom. But God wants unity in his Church, and I know now that this means physical, visible unity as well. My main objections to Catholism in the past (I had become quite anti-Catholic at one point), really had little basis when I began to look more deeply into it-and those objections began to melt away. And I came to appreciate, more and more, the wisdom of the Church, the legacy of thought and the resulting knowledge of God that was first inspired by Christ at her beginning, and has continued to mature to this day. Protestsnts have contributed here as well at times And that’s really the point. There’s only one Church, always has been, and there’s no need for more.
I appreciate you elaborating. 👍
 
Yes, I agree, Neofight. Sorry for using the term *convert *in my post. I didn’t know of any other term to distinguish between Catholics who grew up Catholic and those who came from other Christian faith traditions and I had heard the term ‘convert’ mentioned a lot of CAF so I thought it was ok to use since it was a commonly used term and understood by everyone.

I agree with you and the statement from the bishop that Catholics throughout the world are united in their faith and should live a life of continued conversion.

I was a little reluctant to start this topic for this reason, but as a potential convert myself I wanted to get a better idea as to the interaction between cradle Catholics and those who joined Catholicism later in life from other Christian faith traditions.

Sometimes I get annoyed when I hear people say stuff like, "I’m a Mexican-American, Irish-American, German-American, African-American, etc’.

We’re all Americans who live in the U.S, so I understand where you are coming from when we distinguish between types of Catholics, but for the sake of my topic I thought it was appropriate in this case.
Yes we are all now ultimately children of G-d. The conversion is a continuing one of the heart and never stops. That fact is also one that drew and keeps drawing me to this day.
Just my :twocents:
 
Thanks for the insights, newcalling. Your answer makes a lot of sense and is the kind of thing I was looking for when I started the thread.

SSPX? I am not familiar with that term within Catholicism.
I believe that it stands for "Society of Saint Pius the Tenth (X in Roman numerals. ) As I understand it, they’re one of the groups who believe that there hasn’t been a valid pope since Pius X. I love Pope Francis and Pope Saint John Paul II, and I respect Pope Emeritus Benedict, so I obviously disagree with the SSPX. I didn’t know the popes before them, except by name and reputation, but what I do know of them I love. I think SSPX Is one of the banned topics here, and I don’t want to derail your thread anyway, so that is all I will say about them.
 
Yes, I agree, Neofight. Sorry for using the term *convert *in my post. I didn’t know of any other term to distinguish between Catholics who grew up Catholic and those who came from other Christian faith traditions and I had heard the term ‘convert’ mentioned a lot of CAF so I thought it was ok to use since it was a commonly used term and understood by everyone.

I agree with you and the statement from the bishop that Catholics throughout the world are united in their faith and should live a life of continued conversion.

I was a little reluctant to start this topic for this reason, but as a potential convert myself I wanted to get a better idea as to the interaction between cradle Catholics and those who joined Catholicism later in life from other Christian faith traditions.

Sometimes I get annoyed when I hear people say stuff like, "I’m a Mexican-American, Irish-American, German-American, African-American, etc’.

We’re all Americans who live in the U.S, so I understand where you are coming from when we distinguish between types of Catholics, but for the sake of my topic I thought it was appropriate in this case.
The proper terms for those entering the Church are catechumens or candidates. Catechumens are those who have not been baptized. They are the true “converts” especially if they come from non-Christian backgrounds (some are psuedo-Christian, so they fall into the same category). Candidates are those who have been baptized and are being reconciled to the Church. All the baptized are joined to the Church because of their baptism, but not all the baptized are in full union with the Church. 🙂 So, the baptized who came from other Christian bodies are not converts in the formal sense of the word.

As to what I got from cradle Catholics having come from a Protestant background, I found Catholics to be blessed free from anxiety about their status before God. I’d heard that Catholics can never be sure of their salvation and so live in constant fear of death and dying, but I found just the opposite. Their faith in Christ was such that they knew they were one with him in the sacraments–which effect what they signify and are not “dead rituals”, as some Protestants had insisted. I found that Catholics were open, non-judgmental, merry, and unattached from themselves. They were as they ought to be–children at home in their Father’s house.

As for what I received and kept from my Protestant days, I learned my way around the Bible, for which I will always be grateful. I learned to make prayer personal. I got my basic Christian education in both the Episcopal Church and the Assemblies of God. I first awoke to faith as an Episcopalian and am so thankful my parents had me baptized a mere month after my birth. I knew a lot of people of deep faith who loved Jesus and lived for him in both ecclesial bodies. I gained so much by being reconciled to the Church, but I took a lot with me into the Church for which I cannot be anything other than indebted to all the good people, both Catholic and non-Catholic, and what they’ve given to me.
 
Yes we are all now ultimately children of G-d. The conversion is a continuing one of the heart and never stops. That fact is also one that drew and keeps drawing me to this day.
Just my :twocents:
My two cents is that I like your perspective, Hmgbrd.
 
I believe that it stands for "Society of Saint Pius the Tenth (X in Roman numerals. ) As I understand it, they’re one of the groups who believe that there hasn’t been a valid pope since Pius X. I love Pope Francis and Pope Saint John Paul II, and I respect Pope Emeritus Benedict, so I obviously disagree with the SSPX. I didn’t know the popes before them, except by name and reputation, but what I do know of them I love. I think SSPX Is one of the banned topics here, and I don’t want to derail your thread anyway, so that is all I will say about them.
Thanks, newcalling. I had no idea there was such a group. I really liked Pope John Paul II, as I saw him in Rome at a Midnight Mass in 1978 while I was in college and was in Rome with some Catholic friends from college and witnessed my first and only Midnight Mass. It was quite an experience that I will never forget. it was an awesome experience. 🙂

I also like Pope Francis’ honesty and pastoral nature. He seems very approachable and human, yet the Vicar of Christ at the same time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top