Question for DWs about SI swimsuit issue

  • Thread starter Thread starter CuriousInIL
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do their husbands not see the bra ads for Macy’s advertised almost daily in the newspapers (which can be equally as visually stimulating as the swimsuit pictures)? How about billboards, magazines at the checkout at the grocery store, and tv commercials? Thoughts, ladies?
My thought is that this isn’t really very logical. Just because husbands might encounter such images in the outside world. (which they undoubtedly will) doesn’t mean we sit back and let it come into our homes. There might not be much you can do about magazines at the grocery store ( although if enough people complained I bet it could change), but as spouses we have a responsibility to keep our husbands spiritually safe, and our homes where we share intimate moments and raise children ,as free (as possible) from corrupting images and ideas.
I think it’s a sign that my husband is a normal male.
Finding women attractive IS indeed a normal feeling of men. Being hungry is also a normal feeling/urge. If your husband satisfied his hunger for food by eating an entire pepperoni pizza for 3 meals a day, surely you would say this is not a healthy way to satisfy his hunger and need for food. This is turning a normal thing into a physical and spiritual pitfall. It becomes degrading rather than edifying as it should be. When men sit and ‘digest’ images of women purely for their physical attractiveness, this is the same thing.
 
My thought is that this isn’t really very logical. Just because husbands might encounter such images in the outside world. (which they undoubtedly will) doesn’t mean we sit back and let it come into our homes. There might not be much you can do about magazines at the grocery store ( although if enough people complained I bet it could change), but as spouses we have a responsibility to keep our husbands spiritually safe, and our homes where we share intimate moments and raise children ,as free (as possible) from corrupting images and ideas.

Finding women attractive IS indeed a normal feeling of men. Being hungry is also a normal feeling/urge. If your husband satisfied his hunger for food by eating an entire pepperoni pizza for 3 meals a day, surely you would say this is not a healthy way to satisfy his hunger and need for food. This is turning a normal thing into a physical and spiritual pitfall. It becomes degrading rather than edifying as it should be. When men sit and ‘digest’ images of women purely for their physical attractiveness, this is the same thing.
I agree with your sentiments…but the SI Swimsuit issue isn’t just pages of women…there are articles like in any other issue, and often, it’s just part of the entire set that you order. (But, maybe some buy it just for that? I don’t know) My husband doesn’t stay glued to it…he often hasn’t even looked at it, and I look at it. But, I think that turning one’s attention to such images on a regular basis, can be harmful to a marriage–on both sides. But, your point is an important one. Eating pizza on occasion is not a bad thing, but excessively eating it, can turn into a major health issue…same is true when it comes to our spiritual health. I am not my husband’s mom, though…If we were still subscribing to SI, which we are not, I would not stand over his shoulder making sure he wasn’t looking at women in swimsuit ads. I mean, I think at some point, you have to hope that your husband could think for himself of what is good and what is not good to bring into his thinking. Just my thoughts.
 
My thought is that this isn’t really very logical. Just because husbands might encounter such images in the outside world. (which they undoubtedly will) doesn’t mean we sit back and let it come into our homes. There might not be much you can do about magazines at the grocery store ( although if enough people complained I bet it could change), but as spouses we have a responsibility to keep our husbands spiritually safe, and our homes where we share intimate moments and raise children ,as free (as possible) from corrupting images and ideas.
Shannyk,
Believe me, I understand your points completely. It is very important that we instill values in our homes and put in the effort to maintain them. However, what I am hearing from women who throw away the swimsuit magazine even before it reaches the husband’s hands is something a little different. Sure, they are interested in marital chastity and protecting their husbands. But that argument is also a veil for the wives’ insecurity. By refusing to let her husband see the magazine, she is essentially saying, "My husband will not look at any other women who are more beautiful, attractive, sexy, have better bodies,etc. than I do.

If keeping our husbands “spiritually safe” were the only objective, then we would have to get rid of our tv’s as they are bombarded with sexual images, not let him read the newspaper because of the lingerie ads, and basically not go outside, esp. in the summer when women tend to wear more revealing clothing. Tossing the magazine into the trash is these women’s only outlet for control. Whatevergirl made a good point that at some point we have to trust our husbands to make the right decisions. If he were bringing Playboy into the house, now that is a discussion for a different thread. And yes, there is a difference between Playboy and SI swimsuit issue.

How do I come up with this argument? I used to be like that. I would feel inferior, insecure, etc. if my husband, heck, even if my brother or dad made a comment about a pretty model. I’ve changed since then. I’ve looked at several issues of the swimsuit magazine and have found the women to be totally gorgeous without feeling jealous, insecure, etc. If these wives can acknowledge that throwing away the magazine is really more about themselves than the husband, they are making a step in the right direction.

Just some thoughts to consider.
 
My thought is that this isn’t really very logical. Just because husbands might encounter such images in the outside world. (which they undoubtedly will) doesn’t mean we sit back and let it come into our homes. There might not be much you can do about magazines at the grocery store ( although if enough people complained I bet it could change), but as spouses we have a responsibility to keep our husbands spiritually safe, and our homes where we share intimate moments and raise children ,as free (as possible) from corrupting images and ideas.
Shannyk,
Believe me, I understand your points completely. It is very important that we instill values in our homes and put in the effort to maintain them. However, what I am hearing from women who throw away the swimsuit magazine even before it reaches the husband’s hands is something a little different. Sure, they are interested in marital chastity and protecting their husbands. But that argument is also a veil for the wives’ insecurity. By refusing to let her husband see the magazine, she is essentially saying, "My husband will not look at any other women who are more beautiful, attractive, sexy, have better bodies,etc. than I do.

If keeping our husbands “spiritually safe” were the only objective, then we would have to get rid of our tv’s as they are bombarded with sexual images, not let him read the newspaper because of the lingerie ads, and basically not go outside, esp. in the summer when women tend to wear more revealing clothing. Tossing the magazine into the trash is these women’s only outlet for control. Whatevergirl made a good point that at some point we have to trust our husbands to make the right decisions. If he were bringing Playboy into the house, now that is a discussion for a different thread. And yes, there is a difference between Playboy and SI swimsuit issue.

How do I come up with this argument? I used to be like that. I would feel inferior, insecure, etc. if my husband, heck, even if my brother or dad made a comment about a pretty model. I’ve changed since then. I’ve looked at several issues of the swimsuit magazine and have found the women to be totally gorgeous without feeling jealous, insecure, etc. If these wives can acknowledge that throwing away the magazine is really more about themselves than the husband, they are making a step in the right direction.

Just some thoughts to consider.
excellent post. I have known many women…friends, family…who have had struggles within themselves, of their own insecurities…perhaps of how they look…or past experiences that have left them untrusting. But, it’s important to have trust in a marriage. Without it, you have nothing. I actually bought my husband the SI subscription when the Steelers won the SB a few years back…he hardly read any of the issues…come to think of it. He just wanted the SB ball and DVD.:rolleyes:

Yes–we should help our husbands and they should help us wives, to be spiritually safe and reverent…but, I’m not going to be a gestapo…I have seen marriages end when absolutely nothing was going on on the husband’s part, but the wife ruined a good thing, because of her own lack of trust. Men are not the only ones who can be controlling in a relationship–women just display it differently.
 
A question to the wives who throw away their husband’s swimsuit issue of SI–

How would you feel if your husband threw away your property (magazines or otherwise) without even asking you?
 
It’s not just “considered a form of pornography”, it IS pornography.
Think about it…what do women in swimsuits have to do with baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer, tennis, or any of the other sports that SI covers? I would guess that almost all readers of SI are men, and men aren’t the ones who are buying and wearing women’s swimsuits!

isn’t swimming a sport?:rotfl:
 
A question to the wives who throw away their husband’s swimsuit issue of SI–

How would you feel if your husband threw away your property (magazines or otherwise) without even asking you?
Well, first off, I would not throw it away without my DH’s consent FIRST. If he didn’t want to throw it away and wanted to spend time looking at it, well then that would be another matter entirely but I wouldn’t throw it away without his knowledge and consent.

Secondly, if I had stuff that would lead me to sin, or if my DH felt it was necessary for my soul’s well-being, I would more than likely be okay with it…but it goes back to my first thought of discussing it first. 🙂

So, maybe I’m not one of those who you’re talking to anyway… 🙂
 
excellent post. I have known many women…friends, family…who have had struggles within themselves, of their own insecurities…perhaps of how they look…or past experiences that have left them untrusting. But, it’s important to have trust in a marriage. Without it, you have nothing. I actually bought my husband the SI subscription when the Steelers won the SB a few years back…he hardly read any of the issues…come to think of it. He just wanted the SB ball and DVD.:rolleyes:

Yes–we should help our husbands and they should help us wives, to be spiritually safe and reverent…but, I’m not going to be a gestapo…I have seen marriages end when absolutely nothing was going on on the husband’s part, but the wife ruined a good thing, because of her own lack of trust. Men are not the only ones who can be controlling in a relationship–women just display it differently.
Thanks for this (name removed by moderator)ut, whatevergirl.
 
Think about it…what do women in swimsuits have to do with baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer, tennis, or any of the other sports that SI covers? I would guess that almost all readers of SI are men, and men aren’t the ones who are buying and wearing women’s swimsuits!

isn’t swimming a sport?:rotfl:
Sorry, whatevergirl, I am not getting your point here. What is your opinion about SI swimsuit being pornography? I posed the question earlier and people were adament that it is. I think that is debatable. Your thoughts?
 
Sorry, whatevergirl, I am not getting your point here. What is your opinion about SI swimsuit being pornography? I posed the question earlier and people were adament that it is. I think that is debatable. Your thoughts?
Joya–I only quoted “isn’t swimming a sport?” not the above quote…ha It didn’t post properly. I posted some else’s quote, sorry…it all ran together looking like I said the whole thing.😊

I don’t think that it’s porn, no. Not even close. Now, this is my opinion…someone else might think differently. I don’t judge another’s thoughts on it–I do think that depending on the poses, of course it could be looked at as soft porn. It’s been a long while since I’ve read an issue of SI, honestly…but in the past, the pics of Kathy Ireland, and Elle McPherson, for example–were really beautiful pics. I actually didn’t view that as anything like porn. I would imagine that if a man is looking at SI for sexual stimulation, perhaps it could be borderline porn. Maybe it depends on who is reading it. It is not marketed as porn, though.
 
I’ve never read the SI swimsuit issue, but I have a hunch that the “models” being photographed aren’t Olympic winning swimmers. 😉
lol i know.😉 i was trying to be funny.😊
 
I don’t think that it’s porn, no. Not even close. Now, this is my opinion…someone else might think differently. I don’t judge another’s thoughts on it–I do think that depending on the poses, of course it could be looked at as soft porn. It’s been a long while since I’ve read an issue of SI, honestly…but in the past, the pics of Kathy Ireland, and Elle McPherson, for example–were really beautiful pics. I actually didn’t view that as anything like porn. I would imagine that if a man is looking at SI for sexual stimulation, perhaps it could be borderline porn. Maybe it depends on who is reading it. It is not marketed as porn, though.
But here’s my point: If SI was publishing these pictures because they were “beautiful”, then why isn’t SI publishing Rembrandt paintings and pictures of puppies, snowflakes, sunsets, jewels, and other “beautiful” things?

Out of all the beautiful things they could be printing pictures of…why did they choose half-naked women?

Remember, SI is marketed to men, not women. Why do you think men read the SI swimsuit issue? Is it because they ran out of puppy, snowflake, and sunset pictures?
 
Joya–I only quoted “isn’t swimming a sport?” not the above quote…ha It didn’t post properly. I posted some else’s quote, sorry…it all ran together looking like I said the whole thing.😊
Joya’s post didn’t post properly either. It made me look like I had said “Isn’t swimming a sport?”, but that’s not what I said.

I think something’s wrong here.
 
But here’s my point: If SI was publishing these pictures because they were “beautiful”, then why isn’t SI publishing Rembrandt paintings and pictures of puppies, snowflakes, sunsets, jewels, and other “beautiful” things?

Out of all the beautiful things they could be printing pictures of…why did they choose half-naked women?

Remember, SI is marketed to men, not women. Why do you think men read the SI swimsuit issue? Is it because they ran out of puppy, snowflake, and sunset pictures?
Oh, I’m not saying that I advocate men reading this particular issue cover to back. I personally though, do not wish to stand over my husband and make sure he does not read it…it is ultimately his choice, and free will. And through a trusting marriage…and loving marriage…and spritual marriage, he does not want to hurt or defile me, by ogling other women. I would rather have it be my husband’s choice…than me badgering him not to look at it. That is more of what I’m saying. You have to come to that point in your marriage, where perhaps those feelings need to be brought out on the table, but without trust, you have nothing.
 
Joya’s post didn’t post properly either. It made me look like I had said “Isn’t swimming a sport?”, but that’s not what I said.

I think something’s wrong here.
😃 lol

That’s weird…I wonder why the quotes print like that sometimes?
 
I’ve never read the SI swimsuit issue, but I have a hunch that the “models” being photographed aren’t Olympic winning swimmers. 😉
Yeah, and I’d like to see any serious swimmer try to do even 25 yards of butterfly wearing one of those bikinis! If it were truly a sports-swimsuit edition, we’d see the latest from Speedo, TYR, and the others, not foo-foo designers. Anyone for a triathalon suit here? 😉

As far as caring if my (now ex)DH looked at it, I would just laugh and remind him that he’s old enough to be the father of those models and even the grandpa of the younger ones! And then I’d throw the magazine into the recycling bin.
 
I can see, sadly, that this thread has died, but I just wanted to say that I’m surprised and saddened that more women haven’t spoken up here, out of what I think is a fear of being seen as prudish or overbearing. It’s even more sad that I haven’t seen many men posting on the subject.

One of the most depressing thread outcome’s I’ve seen:(
 
I am a man I will say the the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition is why I do not subscribe to that particular rag.

It is porn. Plain and simple. While many are free to disagree with that, the photos are not intended to portray an athletic event. No, they present womens bodies as object of lust.

Ladies, if your husband is looking at those ladies, do you really think he is thinking about you? And later that evening, when he wants to be close, what images do you think he has in his mind?

The Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition is specifically intended to draw young men into the pit of the porn industry. Like all porn, it is altogether evil.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top