Question from my 9 year old

  • Thread starter Thread starter PoorKnight
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PoorKnight

Guest
Ok, I didn’t know how to answer this one. My 9 year old son wants to know is it Ok to hate Satan, or should we love Satan but hate his deeds?

Me: Duuuuuuuuuh I have no clue… Let me ask CAF… 😃
 
Love and hate is not the right framework for the question. As our baptismal promises state:

We should reject Satan, all his works and all his empty promises.
 
My impression is that it is fine, and probably necessary, taking into consideration that Satan’s choice is irrevocable and that his rebellion is personification of sin itself.

How much better, however, for any moment in which we ponder how much we hate Satan, to instead think about how much we love God!!!
 
Ok, I didn’t know how to answer this one. My 9 year old son wants to know is it Ok to hate Satan, or should we love Satan but hate his deeds?

Me: Duuuuuuuuuh I have no clue… Let me ask CAF… 😃
I believe it was Saint Martin of Tours who, upon being visited and tempted by Satan himself, demanded to him that “If you yourself would even now repent of your misdeeds, I have such trust in the Lord Jesus Christ that I would promise you mercy.”

As another poster said, we are to reject Satan. Personally, I despise him.
 
He is the total opposite of God.So,yes,it is okay.Good question by the way.A very speculative mind indeed the young master has.
 
Here’s a prayer I learned about his age that I still say frequently nearly 60 years later:

**Holy Michael, the Arcangel, **
defend us in battle.

**Be our protection against **
the wickedness and snares of the Devil.

May God rebuke him we humbly pray.

And do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts,
cast into Hell Satan and all the evil spirits
who wander the world seeking the ruin of Souls.

AMEN.


It is proper to REBUKE Satan and pray that he be cast in Hell because he does seek the ruin of souls.
 
There is this interesting passage from the Letter of St. Jude

usccb.org/bible/jude/1
8 Similarly, these dreamers nevertheless also defile the flesh, scorn lordship, and revile glorious beings.
9 Yet the archangel Michael, when he argued with the devil in a dispute over the body of Moses, did not venture to pronounce a reviling judgment upon him but said, “May the Lord rebuke you!”
10 But these people revile what they do not understand and are destroyed by what they know by nature like irrational animals.i

The explanatory footnote:
Apparently not even St. Michael the Archangel,
the leader of all the angels in Heaven, and guardian of the Catholic Church and of all humanity,
wasted time hating the devil but left him to God.

This should be what we do. Leave the matter to God and ask God to defend us from temptation.


As a sidenote.
Tony Liota, a former moderator on the
catholic.org forums said we shouldn’t feel sorry for the devils.
They fully understood what they were doing and deliberately chose to become evil.
[/quote]
 
Thank you, empther.

Let me revise my editorial comment:

It is proper to ASK GOD TO REBUKE Satan and pray that he be cast in Hell because he does seek the ruin of souls.

Your explanation showed me that it is much better to leave such business to God Himself while asking Michael to help defend us.
 
I believe it was Saint Martin of Tours who, upon being visited and tempted by Satan himself, demanded to him that “If you yourself would even now repent of your misdeeds, I have such trust in the Lord Jesus Christ that I would promise you mercy.”

As another poster said, we are to reject Satan. Personally, I despise him.
That quote gave me goosebumps, sorry don’t have much to say on the subject seems the above posters have it covered :).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top