Question on Additions to Esther (Esther 10:4-16:24)

  • Thread starter Thread starter BlueRain
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BlueRain

Guest
Hello,
I was trying to look for a passage Esther14:3, but it was not in any of my Bibles. Not even the Catholic one. Then I saw that Esther 10:4-16:24 are considered additions.

I’m wondering why are they additions? Does the Catholic Church accept them? Is there a Catholic version of the that has these passages if they are accepted?
 
It might be in a different place in the “Catholic” Bible.

The Esther “additions” have always been in the Septuagint and have been in the Bible ever since it was a Bible. bibleresources.americanbible.org/%20bible-resources/bible-resource-center/about-the-bible/bible-history/what-are-apocrypha-and-deuterocanonical-books
Sorry to tell you, even the original King James Bible included them, though in a seperate section labled “Apocrypha”. Even the Gutenburg Bible has them.

They were only recently removed by Protestants who wanted to seperate themselves from Catholicism. There are many threads on here considering the Deuterocannon and the Septuagint. This has a good summary fisheaters.com/septuagint.html

Recent archeological evidence confirms the presence of so called “Apocryphal” books from the time of Jesus.

I found this factoid thread interesting forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=533655

If you take out sections of Esther due to inconsistancy, you must apply this rule to the whole Bible. You will quickly find that great swaths of the Bible need to be removed as thay have been patched together from many sources. This is very obvious in Genesis.

I found this to be interesting regarding the “Esther additions” in the Jewish encyclopedia. Basically, they did not include things in their “scripture” post-temple-distruction (70 AD) if they could not absolutely trace the original to Hebrew. jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=484&letter=E
Clearly the Catholic version Esther was there during Jesus’ time … Honestly the more I research, the less I understand why the Protestants deny themselves access to these sacred works. Maccabes is amazing; Sirach wise… Esther, well … whatever. If you still can’t find what you want in your Bible, try this site.
st-takla.org/pub_Deuterocanon/Deuterocanon-Apocrypha_El-Asfar_El-Kanoneya_El-Tanya__3-Esther.html
Ah well.

More good info: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Esther

Oh and BTW; it’s not overly accurate, but both my husband and I found the movie “One Night With the King” to be very enjoyable. It is a fictionalized version of Esther with very good actors and excellent dialog. allmovie.com/work/one-night-with-the-king-342307
 
Hello,
I was trying to look for a passage Esther14:3, but it was not in any of my Bibles. Not even the Catholic one. Then I saw that Esther 10:4-16:24 are considered additions.

I’m wondering why are they additions? Does the Catholic Church accept them? Is there a Catholic version of the that has these passages if they are accepted?
This introduction might help: usccb.org/nab/bible/esther/intro.htm
 
Thank you for clarifying that. I’m going to go back and search again. It could be in a different section. I hope I get a chance to see the movie. I wish many times they would make a movie of other parts in the Bible.

I want to try and understand the Bible, but I have to take baby steps, because it can get overwhelming.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top