M
ms83
Guest
I hope this is the correct location for this topic if not please relocate.
After reading this article I agree with the sentiment behind it, especially with the current story of the Pope’s talk with a remarried catholic (still not sure if there is really a reliable source yet). I am one of those Catholics that feeling that it would be devistating to the Church if the remarried are allowed to take Holy Communion. I do not feel I need to worry about this though because I believe the Holy Spirit will guide the Pope and all involved in their decission on the matter.
On to my concern. Maybe I misunderstood or maybe I am incorrect in my understanding of the Church’s teaching on receving the Eucharist, but I have great concern with the following quote from the article.
“In one case, a friend is anxiously waiting for the expected episcopal Synod on the Family this October, wondering if he can remain Catholic if there are changes in the Church’s eucharistic discipline for divorced and remarried Catholics.”
Now I understand there are certain things that can be changed and certain things that cannot. Typically things that can be changed are called “disciplines”. The way I read this is that it is only a disciple of the Church to not allow remarried to take communion (I disregard the statement about the divorced because if they are alone and not in a relationship they are technically only seperated and divorced civily). I was under the impression and still am that the Church has issue with people receving Holy Communion when in a state of mortal sin. By remarrying they are putting them selves in a perpetual state of adultery there by a perpetual state of mortal sin. In my understanding for the Church to allow the remarried to recieve communion they would have to alter the teaching on divorce which cannot be done since it comes from Jesus himeself.
If this comes across uncharitable or harsh in anyway please forgive me. I do not intend to insult or anger anyone. I made certain assumtions which can be clarified if need be, but I did this to keep it short.
After reading this article I agree with the sentiment behind it, especially with the current story of the Pope’s talk with a remarried catholic (still not sure if there is really a reliable source yet). I am one of those Catholics that feeling that it would be devistating to the Church if the remarried are allowed to take Holy Communion. I do not feel I need to worry about this though because I believe the Holy Spirit will guide the Pope and all involved in their decission on the matter.
On to my concern. Maybe I misunderstood or maybe I am incorrect in my understanding of the Church’s teaching on receving the Eucharist, but I have great concern with the following quote from the article.
“In one case, a friend is anxiously waiting for the expected episcopal Synod on the Family this October, wondering if he can remain Catholic if there are changes in the Church’s eucharistic discipline for divorced and remarried Catholics.”
Now I understand there are certain things that can be changed and certain things that cannot. Typically things that can be changed are called “disciplines”. The way I read this is that it is only a disciple of the Church to not allow remarried to take communion (I disregard the statement about the divorced because if they are alone and not in a relationship they are technically only seperated and divorced civily). I was under the impression and still am that the Church has issue with people receving Holy Communion when in a state of mortal sin. By remarrying they are putting them selves in a perpetual state of adultery there by a perpetual state of mortal sin. In my understanding for the Church to allow the remarried to recieve communion they would have to alter the teaching on divorce which cannot be done since it comes from Jesus himeself.
If this comes across uncharitable or harsh in anyway please forgive me. I do not intend to insult or anger anyone. I made certain assumtions which can be clarified if need be, but I did this to keep it short.