Question on Genesis 18:20-32

  • Thread starter Thread starter CatholicZ09
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CatholicZ09

Guest
In those days, the LORD said: “The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great, and their sin so grave, that I must go down and see whether or not their actions fully correspond to the cry against them that comes to me. I mean to find out.”
While Abraham’s visitors walked on farther toward Sodom, the LORD remained standing before Abraham. Then Abraham drew nearer and said: “Will you sweep away the innocent with the guilty? Suppose their were fifty innocent people in the city; would you wipe out the place, rather than spare it for the sake of the fifty innocent people within it? Far be it from you to do such a thing, to make the innocent die with the guilty so that the innocent and the guilty would be treated alike! Should not the judge of all the world act with justice?” The LORD replied, “If I find fifty innocent people in the city of Sodom, I will spare the whole place for their sake.” Abraham spoke up again: “See how I am presuming to speak to my Lord, though I am but dust and ashes! What if there are five less than fifty innocent people? Will you destroy the whole city because of those five?” He answered, “I will not destroy it, if I find forty-five there.” But Abraham persisted, saying, “What if only forty are found there?” He replied, “I will forbear doing it for the sake of the forty.” Then Abraham said, “Let not my Lord grow impatient if I go on. What if only thirty are found there?” He replied, “I will forbear doing it if I can find but thirty there.” Still Abraham went on, "Since I have thus answered, “I will not destroy it, for the sake of the twenty.” But he still persisted: “Please, let not my Lord grow angry if I speak up this last time. What if there are at least ten there?” He replied, “For the sake of those ten, I will not destroy it.”
What does this question and answer between Abraham and God prove? Does this prove that God is loving merciful and just? Does it mean that God isn’t distant and angry and ready to wipe out everyone even the innocent?
 
What does this question and answer between Abraham and God prove? Does this prove that God is loving merciful and just? Does it mean that God isn’t distant and angry and ready to wipe out everyone even the innocent?
It means that God is willing to bargain. Those ten people were Lot and his family.
 
A slightly different spin to answer this question is to remember that the Old Testament was written by Jews for Jews and this is a very Jewish story. Middle easterners, not just Jews have a custom of barganing or haggling over the price of something in the marketplace. The price something is marked is only paid by the dumb tourist who doesn’t understand this custom and pays way to much for something.
The scene in Monty Python’s “Life of Brian” where Brian is haggling over a fake beard to disguise himself from the Romans that he’s fleeing is a perfect example.
Also the reason Lot stops at 10 is because of another Jewish custom, the minion, in order to pray for the dead and have formal mourning prayers for them requires a minimum of 10 adult males or minion to back the mourner up that way the mourner isn’t alone but is supported by other men of his community any less and mourning prayers (kaddish) cannot be held.
There was a great story I read ages ago called the 10th Jew. The story happened during World War II when a Jewish soldier was killed and his friends gathered to pray for their fallen comrade in a bombed out church. The seargent was counting for minion and only came up with 9 men not enough. Then he noticed a large statue of Jesus with his arms outstretched. They all gathered around the statue of Jesus who became their tenth Jew.
Hopefully that answers your question.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top