Question: Peter and lists of apostles

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lisa_Lavadores
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lisa_Lavadores

Guest
I’ve heard some people say that Peter’s name is always listed first in any passage which names the apostles. However, in Catholicism and Fundamentalism, Karl Keating says something like “almost always”.

Can anyone point me to a passage in which Peter isn’t listed first? It doesn’t even have to be a passage with a lengthy list – it can even be something like “Paul and Peter went…”.

If anyone happens to have at his fingertips a full list of passages in which Peter is not listed first, that would be awesome!

Btw, this is for debates in which I defend the papal line, not attack it, lol. I just want to be sure I don’t make any false statements. Personally, I don’t think I’ve ever run across a passage in which Peter wasn’t listed first, and I would think I would notice such a rarity right away, but because of Keating’s “almost”, I figure I must be overlooking something.

Thanks!
Lisa
 
I don’t recall seeing Peter not listed first either in the Bible. Maybe he was referring to some other writings???
 
I’ve heard some people say that Peter’s name is always listed first in any passage which names the apostles. However, in Catholicism and Fundamentalism, Karl Keating says something like “almost always”.

Can anyone point me to a passage in which Peter isn’t listed first? It doesn’t even have to be a passage with a lengthy list – it can even be something like “Paul and Peter went…”.

If anyone happens to have at his fingertips a full list of passages in which Peter is not listed first, that would be awesome!

Btw, this is for debates in which I defend the papal line, not attack it, lol. I just want to be sure I don’t make any false statements. Personally, I don’t think I’ve ever run across a passage in which Peter wasn’t listed first, and I would think I would notice such a rarity right away, but because of Keating’s “almost”, I figure I must be overlooking something.

Thanks!
Lisa
Whatever. Fact is that Peter and Paul are THE apostles. Everyone else gets lowe3r billing.
 
In support of Peter as leader, one notes in Acts 2:14 Peter is listed separately.
14 But Peter, standing with the eleven, lifted up his voice and addressed them, "Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and give ear to my words. 15 For these men are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day; 16 but this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: 17* 'And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams; 18 yea, and on my menservants and my maidservants in those days I will pour out my Spirit; and they shall prophesy…
 
Thanks, Joe. Trust me, I see nothing but support for Peter (and find the recent arguments for James as leader to be perplexing – talk about making mountains out of molehills!).

However, I would like to be able to make the statement that Peter is always listed first without being wrong, lol (or give up the idea or know what the exceptions are, etc.). It’s easy to find numerous examples of Peter being set apart and being the leader, but it’s not as easy to read through the entire New Testament in order to find a listing in which he is not named first (if one exists).

Lisa
 
and when they perceived the grace that was given to me, James and Cephas and John, who were reputed to be pillars, gave to me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised; (Galatians 2:9)
The Cephas listed above after James may be Peter. (See John 1:42) However, the identification of this Cephas with Peter is not entirely certain because in the two preceding verses (Galatians 2:7, 8) Paul refers to Peter as Peter and an early Christian tradition (mentioned in Eusebius, Church History, Book 1, Chapter 12) identified this Cephas, as one of the Seventy disciples who bore the same name as the Apostle Peter.
 
Thank you, Todd!

What’s cool is that your citations also help me with an argument someone is setting forth that Paul thinks Peter and Cephas are two different people. The Eusebius reference will be very helpful.

Lisa
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top