Question re Sixto-Clementine Vulgate

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pseu
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pseu

Guest
I’ve searched the board and read many of the posts regarding selecting a bible, the latin versions, et c. I have settled on the Sixto-Clementine Vulgate.

I’ve searched online and I have a couple of problems/questions.

One, I would like to buy a copy. I did find a gorgeous antique, rare edition but the $2,000+ they wanted is way out of my price range. I just want a decent hard-bound copy and printed in this century is just fine with me. Do you know where to buy such a thing?

Two, I have seen a few online versions and I’m wondering about editors. It’s the Sixto-Clementine Vulgata edited by . . . and then a list of names. Is one editor (or group of editors) more prefered than another?

If anyone can point me in the direction of a Sixto-Clementine Vulgata for sale, I’d be grateful!
 
Thanks, Tee! Looking at that I see it’s the Nova Editio. Do you know of one that is the previous (15??) edition?

Gratefully . . .
 
Thanks, Tee! Looking at that I see it’s the Nova Editio. Do you know of one that is the previous (15??) edition?

Gratefully . . .
I hope you are not confusing that designation with the *Nova Vulgata *of 1979/1986? Rather, I believe *NOVA EDITIO *refers to the typesetting, notes, and other materials (and maybe the Psalms, which are two parallel translations: The *Psalterium Gallicanum *and *Psalterium Pianum *?)

The ordinal designation further down the page refers to printings and/or other typographical corrections. For instance, in my *QUARTA EDITIO *(MCMLXV), Luke 1:28 renders the angelic salutation as *Ave, gratia ple
Code:
t
a*, an error that I understand was left uncorrected for a number of *editiones *(but I believe is correct in the UNDECIMA EDITIO)

If you really want a 15?? edition, I expect you will need return to the $2000+ hand-copied-by-monks market.

tee
 
The Tweedale edition is good I hear. You can get it from Lulu.com.

Also, www.churchlatin.com has a two-volume Vercellone edition.

Both of these are the Clementina Vulgata.

If you are willing to pay more, you can get Leonard’s Books in Indiana (you can mail them) to rebind your Bible in various styles of leather. Another, more expensive option, is from a company called Old Leather Books. Leonard’s focuses more on making a book sturdier, while the other focuses on making it more beautiful.
 
Au contraire, Friend! That is exactly what I thought! I specifically didn’t want the the Nova Vulgata of 1979/1986. I think what you linked is just what I want.

Thanks for the link and the great info!
 
The Tweedale edition is good I hear. You can get it from Lulu.com.

Also, www.churchlatin.com has a two-volume Vercellone edition.

Both of these are the Clementina Vulgata.

If you are willing to pay more, you can get Leonard’s Books in Indiana (you can mail them) to rebind your Bible in various styles of leather. Another, more expensive option, is from a company called Old Leather Books. Leonard’s focuses more on making a book sturdier, while the other focuses on making it more beautiful.
Ohh, very cool. Thanks!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top