Question RE: Trinity, Church History

  • Thread starter Thread starter kardon777
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kardon777

Guest
A poster on my other board said that millions died because they refused to accept the doctrine of the Trinity. Although I know about the Arianism heresy, I’m *no *history buff, so could someone inform me what he could be referring to and if the figure even comes close?

Thank you.
 
A poster on my other board said that millions died because they refused to accept the doctrine of the Trinity. Although I know about the Arianism heresy, I’m *no *history buff, so could someone inform me what he could be referring to and if the figure even comes close?

Thank you.
I would ask him for a reference or documentation of that fact. It goes against everything I’ve read on the subject.

Most of the Aristocracy of the Roman Empire as well as the all important Roman Army believed Arianism. Even some in the Church supported it. Many of those who spoke out against Arianism were persecuted and exiled. The Church had to fight for its life against Arianism.

A good review of the history of Arianism can be found in Hilaire Belloc’s The Great Heresies.
 
Thank you, Verita. I haven’t found any evidence of it either.

PS - in my original post I meant to ask was the “millions” figure grossly exaggerated NOT “comes close.” lol Got the flu today and can’t think straight.
 
“Millions” never died as the result of any theological controversy, nor even in any major wars before the 20th century. It was only in the 20th century that *non-religious *despots such as Stalin and Pol-Pot and Mao and Hitler developed the means and determination to kill millions.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top