Z
ZDHayden
Guest
Hello all. I have recently discovered the Biblia Sacra ex Sebastiani Castellionis, which is distinct in that it uses more of a Classical rather than Ecclesiastical vocabulary. I read somewhere that it was placed on an Index in the 1700s, and was criticized greatly by both Protestants and Catholics for “placing Christian thought in the idiom of the Pagans”.
Does anyone know of any information other than this about this particular translation? I’ve heard from Classicists that the translation is wonderful in its beauty - but what of its orthodoxy? From what I’ve seen, the criticism is merely about the usage of a more Classical vocabulary and style.
Any information is greatly appreciated!
Does anyone know of any information other than this about this particular translation? I’ve heard from Classicists that the translation is wonderful in its beauty - but what of its orthodoxy? From what I’ve seen, the criticism is merely about the usage of a more Classical vocabulary and style.
Any information is greatly appreciated!