Question regarding the rosary

  • Thread starter Thread starter cassopher
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cassopher

Guest
My family has just begun to pray the rosary on a nightly basis. I have been told that when starting this practice to begin with one decade for a week or two and then work up to 5 decades. I like the idea of covering all 5 mysteries however, but in an effort to shorten it because our daughter gets a little antsy and tunes out, we have said 3 Hail Marys instead of 10. There is 3 of us so we each say a Hail Mary in between mysteries. Is this an appropriate way to pray the rosary or should we be saying all 10?
 
I would go with all 10. Saying one decade is fine - a great way to start with the family. Go on to two decades when your daughter is ready. After all, one decade really does not take a long time and it is a great building block to proceed further.
 
Hey its better then no Rosary and at the same time your teaching your daughter how to do the rosary.
 
Good for you.

But you can experiment to see what works best.

May God smile on you and your family.
 
The Rosary is meant to be prayed in total so I would suggest praying all 5 decades even if your daughter becomes antsy. Young children have a problem paying attention through the entire Mass as well and I wouldn’t advocate leaving Mass before the dismissal either. Perhaps you can engage her by giving her a lead role in prayer: for example, let her say the first half of the Hail Mary then the family complete it. How old is your daughter?
 
it is better to pray just one Hail Mary with intent than to pray 150 of them without honor.

How old are the children?
 
it is better to pray just one Hail Mary with intent than to pray 150 of them without honor.

How old are the children?
She is 9 years old. She loves doing it because it’s someth she can do with both her parents but she just gets distracted very easily and has trouble being still for long periods of time.
 
My family has just begun to pray the rosary on a nightly basis. I have been told that when starting this practice to begin with one decade for a week or two and then work up to 5 decades. I like the idea of covering all 5 mysteries however, but in an effort to shorten it because our daughter gets a little antsy and tunes out, we have said 3 Hail Marys instead of 10. There is 3 of us so we each say a Hail Mary in between mysteries. Is this an appropriate way to pray the rosary or should we be saying all 10?
Can you have something there to keep your daughter busy while you and your wife finish the Rosary. After she learns to say the Hail Mary, let her lead as much as she is able. My little ones learn fast and loved leading. We said the evening Rosary after baths and the little ones even sometimes fell asleep. It was relaxing for everyone just before bedtime. Sometimes we would get in a good conversation about a Mystery, (I let them ask questions etc. ) and it would be so long that I would end the Rosary there as I always thought that was a great lesson on the Mystery. God Bless, Memaw
 
My Oldest has ADD; thus, I understand the focus issues very well…

I have to side a bit with MeMaw’s last post here… let your daughter lead the Rosary each night. Letting her lead will help with the focus issues!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top