Question related to pirated software

  • Thread starter Thread starter black_sun
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

black_sun

Guest
(I also asked this in ask an apologist but am afraid it might not get answered so I reposted it here)
In the past I have worked in a company using pirated software and even though they did have licensed software it was only registered for one computer and still we used it in many.

I no longer work there, but I have done many artworks using those pirated software and right now I need sample works so I can get hired in another company, would it still be a sin if I use those sample works that I created using pirated software???

I have also mentioned using pirated software in confession but most of the time the priest just ignores it and offers tips on my other sins, does this mean it is not a sin at all???

Hope you can help
 
(I also asked this in ask an apologist but am afraid it might not get answered so I reposted it here)
In the past I have worked in a company using pirated software and even though they did have licensed software it was only registered for one computer and still we used it in many.

I no longer work there, but I have done many artworks using those pirated software and right now I need sample works so I can get hired in another company, would it still be a sin if I use those sample works that I created using pirated software???

I have also mentioned using pirated software in confession but most of the time the priest just ignores it and offers tips on my other sins, does this mean it is not a sin at all???

Hope you can help
Pirating software is a venial sin. Continuing to use it or using artwork created by it is not sinful.
 
First off, no, it is not a sin to use your former artwork as samples.

As far as confession goes, the priest may assume you were referring to pirating music, movies, etc. for entertainment. When you go to confession you are admitting your guilt and willingness to change. The logical consequence of this is that you delete your pirating software, etc.

The priest was probably addressing sins that he thought were more pressing as far as your soul. For example, if you confessed drinking and driving, that should be addressed first as it is much more serious.

If you were referring to the pirated software from work it is debatable about how sinful it was. Perhaps you could ask the priest to discuss this particular topic with you.
 
Pirating software is a venial sin. Continuing to use it or using artwork created by it is not sinful.
😦

I think stealing that which isn’t yours can very much be mortal. Software piracy can certainly be a grave matter in eyes of our Lord…

I also disagree that it would be permissable for a Catholic to continue to benefit from the fruits of past wrongs after having gone to confession. One of the elements that are necessary for a confession to be valid is to have a firm purpose of amendment. One would have to reject all aspects of the sin committed (including any benefits that were derived from the illicit acts) in order for forgiveness to be obtained.

black_sun, I sympathize with your situation. Clearly, your past employer behaved in a manner that was incredibly unfair to both the software company that they purchased licenses from as well as the employee’s to whom they gave illicit access. It was right for you to have left that dangerous situation. That said, I would contact the owners of the software and (in addition to notifying them about the illegal activities of this company) ask whether you could permissably retain rights to the work that you created while you were at this company. Perhaps, if you were to purchase a “personal” license of this software, it would be sufficient for you to continue to use your previously completed works or perhaps they would be fine with you continuing to use your works as it is right now. Either way, I think you should contact the creators of this software program and follow the legal advice that they give you.

God bless, my payers are with you!
 
😦

I think stealing that which isn’t yours can very much be mortal. Software piracy can certainly be a grave matter in eyes of our Lord…

I also disagree that it would be permissable for a Catholic to continue to benefit from the fruits of past wrongs after having gone to confession. One of the elements that are necessary for a confession to be valid is to have a firm purpose of amendment. One would have to reject all aspects of the sin committed (including any benefits that were derived from the illicit acts) in order for forgiveness to be obtained.

black_sun, I sympathize with your situation. Clearly, your past employer behaved in a manner that was incredibly unfair to both the software company that they purchased licenses from as well as the employee’s to whom they gave illicit access. It was right for you to have left that dangerous situation. That said, I would contact the owners of the software and (in addition to notifying them about the illegal activities of this company) ask whether you could permissably retain rights to the work that you created while you were at this company. Perhaps, if you were to purchase a “personal” license of this software, it would be sufficient for you to continue to use your previously completed works or perhaps they would be fine with you continuing to use your works as it is right now. Either way, I think you should contact the creators of this software program and follow the legal advice that they give you.

God bless, my payers are with you!
Penance and acts of reparation should be reasonable
 
thank you for all your answers, they are very very appreciated

I am very sad to say though that I am still troubled, I have already mentioned that I have discussed this in confession, but even priests have different opinions, one ignores it, another one when i confessed that i downloaded a tutorial without paying for it and even made copies of it for my friends(i no longer do this) the priest even said it was fine and that he thinks I am some sort of robin hood or something…

please pray for me, I do believe that God’s mercy can fix this being almighty and all
 
Hello,
I think you might benefit from checking out some information on being scrupulous. It’s a rather common problem. It also sounds like you may be having feelings of guilt and depression that are unhealthy, which the priests are trying to deter.

I will pray for you
 
Talk to another priest or your own priest outside of the Confessional. Get the right answer. If you prefer, you can call a priest, and if he is not available at the time, arrange for a time to call back.

Peace,
Ed
 
😦

I think stealing that which isn’t yours can very much be mortal. Software piracy can certainly be a grave matter in eyes of our Lord…

I also disagree that it would be permissable for a Catholic to continue to benefit from the fruits of past wrongs after having gone to confession. One of the elements that are necessary for a confession to be valid is to have a firm purpose of amendment. One would have to reject all aspects of the sin committed (including any benefits that were derived from the illicit acts) in order for forgiveness to be obtained.

black_sun, I sympathize with your situation. Clearly, your past employer behaved in a manner that was incredibly unfair to both the software company that they purchased licenses from as well as the employee’s to whom they gave illicit access. It was right for you to have left that dangerous situation. That said, I would contact the owners of the software and (in addition to notifying them about the illegal activities of this company) ask whether you could permissably retain rights to the work that you created while you were at this company. Perhaps, if you were to purchase a “personal” license of this software, it would be sufficient for you to continue to use your previously completed works or perhaps they would be fine with you continuing to use your works as it is right now. Either way, I think you should contact the creators of this software program and follow the legal advice that they give you.

God bless, my payers are with you!
Really, it depends what you steal. If you steal a large amount of money or a car, that’s mortally sinful. If you steal a pencil or pirate software than that’s venial–at least if it’s for personal use and not to make a bunch of copies and sell it.
 
Really, it depends what you steal. If you steal a large amount of money or a car, that’s mortally sinful. If you steal a pencil or pirate software than that’s venial–at least if it’s for personal use and not to make a bunch of copies and sell it.
I like this answer, but how did you know? was it told to you by a priest?
thank you
 
Really, it depends what you steal. If you steal a large amount of money or a car, that’s mortally sinful. If you steal a pencil or pirate software than that’s venial–at least if it’s for personal use and not to make a bunch of copies and sell it.
Really that depends on the software involved. Sure, a copy of MS word might be a venial sin to steal…

But for specialized software that is produced for a small market, where the cost of an individual license can go upwards of $1,000, piracy is a BIG problem for the developers of that software.

And even in the realm of game piracy, which is arguably venial, we should recognize that there is a huge problem with theft: more than 65% of games being played today are pirated copies… companies that develop games only derive profit from less than 35% of the people using those games (and often THOSE people buy used copies which the developers get no share of profit from)… so the fact that stealing a particular license is venial does not excuse us from our obligation to avoid ALL sin, both venial and mortal, nor does it dismiss the consequences of all sins, even venial ones… especially in a world where a software developer is losing more than half their profits to theft.
 
😦

I think stealing that which isn’t yours can very much be mortal. Software piracy can certainly be a grave matter in eyes of our Lord…

I also disagree that it would be permissable for a Catholic to continue to benefit from the fruits of past wrongs after having gone to confession. One of the elements that are necessary for a confession to be valid is to have a firm purpose of amendment. One would have to reject all aspects of the sin committed (including any benefits that were derived from the illicit acts) in order for forgiveness to be obtained.

black_sun, I sympathize with your situation. Clearly, your past employer behaved in a manner that was incredibly unfair to both the software company that they purchased licenses from as well as the employee’s to whom they gave illicit access. It was right for you to have left that dangerous situation. That said, I would contact the owners of the software and (in addition to notifying them about the illegal activities of this company) ask whether you could permissably retain rights to the work that you created while you were at this company. Perhaps, if you were to purchase a “personal” license of this software, it would be sufficient for you to continue to use your previously completed works or perhaps they would be fine with you continuing to use your works as it is right now. Either way, I think you should contact the creators of this software program and follow the legal advice that they give you.

God bless, my payers are with you!
I agree with this… you should discontinue using a product that you know was stolen unless and until you get the go-ahead from the producer of the product (regardless of whether the theft was venial or not, we are not to be obstinate in habitual sin, whether it is venial or mortal).

As to your works produced on this software, they are your effort, so in that regard I would say that you can probably continue to use them as you see fit… though any future use with such software should come AFTER having paid the company for a license to use their software.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top