Questions about Aquinas and the sinful character of the first movements

  • Thread starter Thread starter WannabeSaint
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WannabeSaint

Guest
St. Thomas Aquinas has stated that the first movements of the passions is a sin. This perplexed many of his contemporaries and found it to be paradoxical.

Aquinas clarified the alleged paradox by stating there are two kinds of first movements of the passions.

first-first movements are the kind most theologians and philosophers have in mind when discussing first movements. Aquinas agrees that these arent sinful.

second-first movements are the sinful ones that St. Thomas had in mind in his writings.

My question is this…What is the difference between the non sinful first movements and the sinful first movements? What would be an example of each one?
 
I have some speculation on the distinction, but this part of Aquinas’ writings is not something I’m very studied on. I’d guess that the “first first” refers to our inclinations as animals, while the “second first” refers to some consent of the will as rational beings.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top