Questions about Mass in Poland/Eastern Europe

  • Thread starter Thread starter ljubim
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

ljubim

Guest
Are things relatively traditional there? Is the Latin mass available?

I have heard of Poland’s massive surge in vocations and the “export of priests :D”, but I’m just wondering how the Mass is over there compared to the typical American vernacular mass.

Thanks for the help guys:)
 
Are things relatively traditional there? Is the Latin mass available?

I have heard of Poland’s massive surge in vocations and the “export of priests :D”, but I’m just wondering how the Mass is over there compared to the typical American vernacular mass.

Thanks for the help guys:)
it is a normal valid Mass…that is according to the Church

in Poland that is …from my understanding and experience. but Poland is central Europe.
 
it is a normal valid Mass…that is according to the Church

in Poland that is …from my understanding and experience. but Poland is central Europe.
Right… I was just mainly wondering about the Latin.

In perhaps a year or two I’ll be spending a while there to practice my Polish, and I’m really hoping to find a bunch more Latin masses there so I don’t have to learn the mass in Polish too (which would be cool, but at least the Latin can be a sort of transition period).
 
Right… I was just mainly wondering about the Latin.

In perhaps a year or two I’ll be spending a while there to practice my Polish, and I’m really hoping to find a bunch more Latin masses there so I don’t have to learn the mass in Polish too (which would be cool, but at least the Latin can be a sort of transition period).
Even if the Mass is in Latin, you’ll still probably want to learn some Polish as the sermon will probably be in Polish.
 
Right… I was just mainly wondering about the Latin.

In perhaps a year or two I’ll be spending a while there to practice my Polish, and I’m really hoping to find a bunch more Latin masses there so I don’t have to learn the mass in Polish too (which would be cool, but at least the Latin can be a sort of transition period).
when I was there a Priest friend of mine offered to celebrate in Latin, English or Polish for me…

but normally Mass was in Polish. Though I asked someone from Poland and they said they recall often that the Eucharistic Prayer can be in Latin. but that would depend of course on the Priest…

perhaps try the Dominicans there.

in any case Polish is very difficult…good luck 🙂
 
Are things relatively traditional there? Is the Latin mass available?
Latin Mass would be available in most cities and even large towns, but not at every church.

I lived in Poland for seven years and, because I’m not Catholic (though considering…), I know the Mass better in Polish than English.

Polish is a tough language, and I learned a lot of basics going to Mass. I deduced that “niebieski,” derived from “niebo” (sky/heaven), means not only “blue” and “sky” but also “heavenly”: When the priest mentioned “niebieski Pan” I figured he wasn’t calling God blue…
 
Thanks for the responses guys! I’m pretty sure I’ve got the answer now. 🙂

I am looking forward to learning Polish, even though it’s extremely difficult (I am up for the challenge!) Plus that’s my heritage on my dad’s side, and since I’m the first generation in the family to not grow up speaking it, I feel like it’s time to step up.
 
I hear Rosetta Stone is pretty good for beginners. Transparent Language isn’t too bad. Good luck.
 
I too would like to learn Polish and spend time in Poland. My father was 100% polish, his mom came over when she was little and grew up in Chicago. She spoke it very well and I regret not learning it from her.
 
My wife is Polish, and we’re trying to get our three-year-old daughter to begin speaking Polish. She understands anything we say to her in Polish, but she’s still very hesitant to speak.

My non-English-speaking mother-in-law is currently visiting and that’s helpful: our daughter has no choice but to try now.

Word of advice: don’t worry about the grammar so much. Polish declinations are a nightmare, and you can communicate perfectly fine without them. Once you get a good vocabulary, then start focusing on deciding which of a dozen possible endings goes on this or that particular noun.

Powodzenia
 
I too would like to learn Polish and spend time in Poland. My father was 100% polish, his mom came over when she was little and grew up in Chicago. She spoke it very well and I regret not learning it from her.
Similar story here, but Philly, not Chicago. 50% still counts:D
My wife is Polish, and we’re trying to get our three-year-old daughter to begin speaking Polish. She understands anything we say to her in Polish, but she’s still very hesitant to speak.

My non-English-speaking mother-in-law is currently visiting and that’s helpful: our daughter has no choice but to try now.

Word of advice: don’t worry about the grammar so much. Polish declinations are a nightmare, and you can communicate perfectly fine without them. Once you get a good vocabulary, then start focusing on deciding which of a dozen possible endings goes on this or that particular noun.

Powodzenia
That’s great advice! Thanks 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top