Questions about my boyfriend. All input appreciated

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kalabreanne
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kalabreanne

Guest
Hello all! I love reading the forums and just now decided to make a profile so that I could try and get some help with this. (If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize, I looked for the right area and this was the best I could find relating to my situation.)

I have been attending RCIA classes in my parish since August, with my best friend of 7 years. I attended Easter Vigil mass with him this year, and it solidified my decision that I wanted to become Catholic. After a few years of not attending worship services of any kind I have been having SO much fun, and I am seeing a lot of changes in myself that I could not have achieved on my own.

To get to the point, my boyfriend/fiance of nearly 5 years was baptized Catholic. He practiced up until around 15, (he is 20 now) when his family began going to a Baptist church near him instead. His parents had entire control of the situation, and I do not believe he “left” the church out of any spite whatsoever, rather following along as his parents pleased. He has shown some interest in my classes, looking through my papers, etc, and talking about Mass, his favorite hymns, etc, with my friend and I. He even attended class with me once and told me that he had fun - and later had me teach him how to say the Rosary, which he did quite regularly for a while.

His attitude has seemed to slowly shift over the past couple months…Here lately when I had brought up him attending mass with me, he would tell me that he “isn’t ready.” it was very unusual for him. For a while he wouldn’t give me any more details, but after some pestering I got him to tell me the reason behind his feelings. He told me that he doesn’t feel that he is deserving. He told me that, shortly after changing churches, when his life was not going very well (he was being bullied constantly at school, coming home to abusive parents, and his cousin had just been born with a heart defect) he cursed God heavily. Apparently when he was looking through my RCIA papers, he found a snippet mentioning the ‘Unforgivable Sin’ of cursing the Holy Spirit. He told me that he feels that he is indeed unforgivable. I asked him if it was something he felt sorry for, if he could go back, seeing how things worked out, would he still do it? (He moved away from his abusive parents, and his cousin survived and is now healthy) He told me definitely not, but that he didn’t feel that God would welcome him back. I told him it was my understanding that he only need to feel remorse for what he did, and to confess his sin to be welcome back to the Church. Am I wrong in this? 🤷

I have done lots of research, I have pulled out my bible, countless things. He said that he still feels that he isn’t worthy to God, after cursing him. He says that he doesn’t think that he can reconcile with God. The way that I put it to him, I said: “Think of your forgiveness as a door…if you do not feel remorse, that door stays closed and locked…you unlock it with your confession, you open it with your reconciliation.” Is this wrong? I came across the definition of “Scrupulosity” today and I must say it was the closest thing I’ve found to what he is feeling right now. Any help would be appreciated - including teachings on the subject, bible verses, anything.
 
Of course he can return to the Faith.

He has misunderstood your papers (or the papers had an inaccurate or poorly worded explanatiton). The sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is final impenitenc-- refusal to seek forgiveness, remaining obstinately in your sin.
 
Thank you very much! I’m glad that I was right, I was also telling him that I believed you would have to remain in an absolute refusal of reconciliation. I don’t think he is refusing intentionally, I think it all goes back to the “I don’t deserve to” thing. I’m just wondering, when I make him understand that he CAN be forgiven - will he confess? I have a feeling that even then he will tell me he is undeserving…I love him very much and I hate to see him get so down on himself! :confused:
 
Thank you for posting, Kalabreanne.

First, going straight to your bf’s doubt, he is, of course, wrong. The “unforgivable sin” against the Holy Spirit is final unrepentance, that is, the atitude of someone who actively and clearly rejects God now and forever. If someone is truly repentant, one can be confident that he cannot be commiting the “unforgivable sin” against the Holy Spirit, as repentance itself is a great gift from the Holy Spirit.

“If I had committed all possible crimes, I would still have the same confidence. I would feel that this multitude of offenses would be like a drop of water cast into a blazing fire.” - St. Thérese de Liseux

Be patient with him, though. A conversion and a confession are also free gifts of the Holy Spirit, you cannot and should not attempt to force him. 🙂

Praying for you!
 
Luke 15:11-32, parable of the Prodigal Son. I often read this slowly and think about how God always forgives, always welcomes us back, no matter how much we have rejected him in the past:
biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+15%3A11-32&version=NIV
17 “When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ 20 So he got up and went to his father.
“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.
How did the father notice the son while he was still “a long way off?” Because the father was looking for him, longing for him to come home. The son did not even make it home before the father ran out and welcomed him.
He didn’t wave him to come in. He didn’t walk out to greet him. He ran.
21 “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’
This is true. None of us deserves forgiveness for even the most minor sin, let alone our greatest sins.
22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate. :extrahappy: * :extrahappy: * :extrahappy: * :extrahappy:
Jesus has literally died to bring us all home, and to bring us the forgiveness that none of us deserve. Just as this prodigal son did, all we have to do is to start on our way home to the Father. He will lead in the celebration.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top