W
WJL
Guest
I’m having some trouble understanding the Olivet Discourse spoken by Our Lord in Matthew 24 as to how it is to be properly understood. I understand there are a number of eschatological views regarding this topic (e.g. partial preterist, full preterist, partial futurist, full futurist). Matthew 24:4-34 seems to refer to the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD (particularly Matt. 24:34) while 24:35-25:46 appears to refer to His future return and final Judgment of the world, however there are some verses between Matthew 24:4-34 which also seem to refer to Christ’s second coming and the final Judgment (for example Matt. 24:9-14 and Matt. 24:21-31) but, I am unsure of that interpretation.
What is the traditional view of the Church on how the Olivet Discourse and its eschatology should be understood?
Many skeptics/atheists/non-Christians will claim that Jesus wrongly predicted His return/second coming to occur in the 1st century based on His words in Matthew 24:34 - “Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.” Could anyone explain to me the proper understanding of this verse or provide some orthodox (i.e. correct) resources that do?
Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
What is the traditional view of the Church on how the Olivet Discourse and its eschatology should be understood?
Many skeptics/atheists/non-Christians will claim that Jesus wrongly predicted His return/second coming to occur in the 1st century based on His words in Matthew 24:34 - “Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.” Could anyone explain to me the proper understanding of this verse or provide some orthodox (i.e. correct) resources that do?
Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.