Questions: baptism & names

  • Thread starter Thread starter nch1917
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nch1917

Guest
I was taught in CCD and Catholic school that names are eternal. Is a child’s name at Baptism the name God will call him or her in eternity? If so, does the confirmed name substitute or compliment the Baptised name?

I have some follow-up questions depending on the answers to the above.
 
God knows all our names. You can be baptized with a whole string of names (and a lot of European people have been, especially if they’ve had more than two godparents), and adding a name through Confirmation or joining a religious order is not a problem.

People who join religious orders and get new names have their new names replace their baptismal and confirmation names – at least during life. It’s part of becoming primarily a member of their community, instead of whatever they were before.

Confirmation names don’t replace your baptismal name, unless maybe you persuade people that you like your new name better. Some people tack them on at the end of all their middle names; some people don’t use them in daily life. It’s not a big deal either way. Mostly, taking a Confirmation name that’s different from the baptismal name is about asking for the help of a new patron saint, and/or honoring your sponsor.

What will God call us in Heaven? Honestly, this seems like jumping the gun. Hopefully, he’ll call us “good and faithful servant” when He judges us, and not “wicked and faithless servant” or “goat”! 🙂 Beyond that, it’s an interesting question, but I think you’re just going to have to wait and see. I don’t think we have any need to worry about it; whatever He calls us will be perfect.
 
Thank you. I was really hoping to zero-in on what criteria is used to determine what God calls us in heaven. I understand this may be “jumping the gun,” but as a parent who intends to have many more children, I feel a great responsibility over the issue.

All of my children will be given good Christian names. Nonetheless, I would like to gain a better understanding as to the implications of the names I choose for them, their Baptism, and Confirmation.

For example, my eldest son, who is 2 years old, was Baptised according to the Ordinary Form, and the priest treated the ceremony as informally as he could, using only my son’s nickname (a shortening of his full first name) throughout the Baptism. His Baptism certificate in the parish records, however, is full and correct.

Also, my daughter was recently Baptised according to the Extraordinary Form, and although her name is in the English, the priest was wise to use the Latin translation throughout the Baptism. Still, her Baptism certificate in the parish records reads with her English name.

Apologies if I come across as overly concerned with the details. It’s the German in me,
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top