Questions on Angels

• Thread starter Thread starter Aureole
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aureole

Well I got into thinking the other day and found myself pondering what I knew about angels. Well I found out that I knew very little, if that, and became increasingly curious about our spiritual helpers and God’s messengers.

So my questions are these: Where in the bible can I find more information on Angels? Is there any good, Catholic literature that I could read that would teach me a bit more about Angels?

One last question, though a smidge off topic: Would it be inappropriate, or even sinful to pray for Satan, that he reject his evil ways and go back to God?

Thanks in advance, and God bless.

About the Satan post, there is no point in praying for him. Change can only come with time, and Heaven and Hell are outside of time. He can’t change his mind like we can about sin.

I recommend 'St.Michael and the Angels". It covers all you need to know.

A good book is The Angels and Their Mission According to the Fathers of the Church by Jean Danielou, S.J., translated by David Heimann (or by someone else if another translation is available).

There’s no point praying for Satan as an angel’s will is fixed at the moment of their creation, much as our will at death is fixed for eternity. In other words, the choice an angel makes at the moment of their creation is their choice for all eternity, much as the choice we make at the moment of our death is our choice for all eternity. In our case, this is why we must live the faith: we don’t know when we will die, and we will almost certainly die as we lived. A person who has lived a confessional life of faith will probably withstand Satan’s distractions in the hour of death, and the good angels, and Mary and the saints, will be able to comfort us, because we will be accustomed to receiving openly their favorable influence.

Oh thanks for the quick replies, I’m checking out what you recommended right now.

About Satan: I realize it was more than likely vain, but I was curious nonetheless. I will just have to change my prayers to those effected by Satan then.

" Angels and Demons " is very good - by Peter Kreeft. Also, anything wirtten by St. Thomas Aquinas - he is the basis of all modern writings on angels. ;o)

I just realised this but who is the author of “Saint Michael and the Angels”?

And thanks for all the responses thus far, I’ve already discovered quite a bit about Angels I never knew before.

Tan Publishing is an excellent source for Catholic books.

All About The Angels
By: Rev Paul O’Sullivan

tanbooks.com/shop_image/product/alla1069.jpg http://www.tanbooks.com/shop_image/design/spacer.gif A charming book showing how the angels have visited people innumerable times in the past, how they do so today, and would do even more if we asked them. Also, how they prevent accidents, comfort us, help us, and protect us from the devils. Contains many beautiful stories about St. Michael, St. Raphael and St. Gabriel; plus, angel stories from St. Gemma Galgani, St. Thomas Aquinas, St. John Bosco, etc. One of our 3 most popular titles! 148 Pp. PB. Eccl. Appr. (This product can also be purchased as part of the following set: Fr. Paul O’Sullivan Set)

tanbooks.com/index.php/page/shop:flypage/product_id/286/

tanbooks.com/

I have not read any of these books. Ive read in scripture about. Gods Archangels St. Michael and St. Gabriel,but do not remember reading about St. Raphael. Can some one tell me where in scripture it talks about St. Raphael ? Just curious? :confused: God Bless.

40.png
Aureole:
One last question, though a smidge off topic: Would it be inappropriate, or even sinful to pray for Satan, that he reject his evil ways and go back to God?

Thanks in advance, and God bless.
Don’t waste you time praying for satan as out of Hell there is no redemption.

Thanks for all the books recommended, they all appear to lead me to the answers I am looking for.

About Raphael; I’m not sure, and by no means am I an expert, but I don’t think he is named at all in the Bible. The Septuagint is where one would find Raphael named. Could someone clear this up though?

Yeah, I can see by popular opinion that Satan is beyond redemption. I won’t bother praying for him to return to God and instead pray for those who fall into temptation to return to God.

40.png
FrmrTrad:
…an angel’s will is fixed at the moment of their creation …
But wasn’t Satan originally the Angel of Light and in charge of all of the angels in heaven the way Michael is now? If Satan’s will was fixed at the moment of his creation, then why was he placed in charge of the rest of the angels? Why wasn’t he damned to hell instantly?

Hey!
I just listened to a amazing talk on Angles that can be found on Peter Kreeft’s website, in the featured audio section. He has alot to say and it really taught me alot!
the address is peterkreeft.com
God Bless!
Amy

Satans Will is was not fixed. He decided he didnt want to serve God in Heaven and was Jealous of Man. SO he chose Hell. I know pity for him only makes him angryer. Like an Angry Child he is best left off to himself to stew.

40.png
SPOKENWORD:
I have not read any of these books. Ive read in scripture about. Gods Archangels St. Michael and St. Gabriel,but do not remember reading about St. Raphael. Can some one tell me where in scripture it talks about St. Raphael ? Just curious? :confused: God Bless.
The book of Tobit, if you haven’t read it you should, once you start you will not be able to put it down. It is a very riveting story.🙂

**The Twelve Most Important Things to Know About Them **

1. *]They really exist. Not just in our minds, or our myths, or our symbols, or our culture. They are as real as your dog, or your sister, or electricity.
    *]They’re present, right here, right now, right next to you, reading these words with you.
    *]They’re not cute, cuddly, comfortable, chummy, or “cool”. They are fearsome and formidable. They are huge. They are warriors.
    *]They are the real “extra-terrestrials”, the real “Super-men”, the ultimate aliens. Their powers are far beyond those of all fictional creatures.
    *]They are more brilliant minds than Einstein.
    *]They can literally move the heavens and the earth if God permits them.
    *]There are also evil angels, fallen angels, demons, or devils. These too are not myths. Demon possessions, and exorcisms, are real.
    *]Angels are aware of you, even though you can’t usually see or hear them. But you can communicate with them. You can talk to them without even speaking.
    *]You really do have your very own “guardian angel”. Everybody does.
    *]Angels often come disguised. “Do not neglect hospitality, for some have entertained angels unawares”—that’s a warning from life’s oldest and best instruction manual.
    *]We are on a protected part of a great battlefield between angels and devils, extending to eternity.
    *]Angels are sentinels standing at the crossroads where life meets death. They work especially at moments of crisis, at the brink of disaster—for bodies, for souls, and for nations.

Why do people think it’s stupid to believe in angels?

One reason is a mistake about themselves: the failure to distinguish between (1) sense perception or imagination (which is a kind of inner sensing) and (2) reason, or intelligence, or understanding. We don’t see pure spirits, and we can’t imagine them. That doesn’t mean we can’t know or understand them. We can see and imagine the difference between a five-sided figure (a pentagon) and a six-sided figure (a hexagon), and we can also intellectually understand that difference. We cannot, however, sense or imagine the difference between a 105-sided figure and a 106-sided figure. Both look to us simply like circles. But we can understand the difference and even measure it exactly. So we can understand some things we can’t see. We can’t see qualities like good and evil either. What color or shape or size is evil? Yet we can understand them. We can imagine our brains, but not our minds, our personalities. But we can know them.

Many who deny angels deny or are uaware of the spiritual half of themselves. Angels are a touchstone of “know thyself”. So are animals.

continued

Aren’t angels irrelevant today? This is the age of man, isn’t it?

Yes, this is the age of man, of self-consciousness, of psychology. And therefore it is crucial to “know thyself” accurately today. The major heresies of our day are not about God but about man.

The two most destructive of these heresies—and the two most popular—are angelism, confusing man with an angel by denying his likeness to animals, and animalism, confusing man with an animal by denying his likeness to angels.

Man is the only being that is both angel and animal, both spirit and body. He is the lowest spirit and the highest body, the stupidest angel and the smartest animal, the low point of the hierarchy of minds and the high point of the hierarchy of bodies.

More accurately stated, man is not both angel and animal because he is neither angel nor animal; he is between angels and animals, a unique rung on the cosmic ladder.

But whichever way you say it, man must know angels to know himself, just as he must know animals to know himself, for he must know what he is, and he must know what he is not.

Hierarchy and inequality among angels sound unjust and unfair. Is God an elitist?

(1) Gods justice is not equality. Neither is nature’s.
God the Creator is not equal to any of his creatures, hut he is supreme.
Among his creatures, spiritual creatures (angels and men) are superior to merely biological creatures.
Among spiritual creatures, angels are more intelligent than men.
Even within our own species, men are not all equal in intelligence, in quickness, in wisdom, in memory, or in many other things.
And, of course. humans are superior to animals. If you doubt this, you’d better stop eating fish or start eating humans.
Higher (more intelligent) animals are superior to lower (less intelligent) animals. That’s why we prefer dogs to worms as pets. Even biologists rank species in a hierarchical order. The more complex they are, the more conscious they are and the more sophisticated their functions.

(2) The hierarchy of angels over men parallels the hierarchy of men over animals, and the hierarchy within angels parallels the hierarchy within animals. If the arrangement of animals tells us something about the Creator’s style and principles and preferences, it’s reasonable to expect to find his style and principles and preferences manifested in angels too.

(3) Justice does not mean equality, even among men. It means treating unequals unequally—giving an A to a student who answered 95 out of 100 questions correctly and an F to a student who answered only 45.
Many traditional societies, like those of classical Greece and Confucian China, saw justice as essentially an inequality, a harmony among different things: organs in the body, nembers in a family, heavenly bodies in the cosmos, musical notes in a song, classes in the state, faculties in the soul. The President is not necessarily a superior person to his military chief of stati but his office is. Justice demands the chief of staff obey his “superior”, even if the latter has shortcomings.

(4) Resentment against some kind ot superiority is one of the seven deadly sins. It is called envy, and it is the only sin that never gave anyone any kind of pleasure at all.
In the Divine Comedy, Dante discovers that there are many unequal levels even in heaven. He asks Piccarda, who is on heaven’s lowest level, whether she is not discontented with her lowly place and whether she longs to move up closer to God, to see more of God and receive more joy. Her answer is that no one in heaven is dissatisfied with his place or envious of anyone else: "From seat to seat throughout this realm, to all the realm is pleasing. [That is, each citizen is pleased with the kingdom as a whole; the whole is present to each individual.] For in his will our hearts have found their peace.
T. S. Eliot called this the profoundest line in all human literature.

From Angels (and Demons) — What Do We Really Know About Them? by Ignatius Press.

You are also welcome to listen to the fascinating audio lecture
Aquinas and the Angels.

Top of Page | Search | ©2004

Whoa, I listened to the introduction for Aquinas and the Angels and already have learned quite a bit. Thanks for the recommendation amsEM.

And Teresa9, thank you very much for your two long posts! I really want to get that book now after seeing a small portion of it. Thank you very much.

Dear friend

He asks Piccarda, who is on heaven’s lowest level, whether she is not discontented with her lowly place and whether she longs to move up closer to God, to see more of God and receive more joy. Her answer is that no one in heaven is dissatisfied with his place or envious of anyone else: "From seat to seat throughout this realm, to all the realm is pleasing. [That is, each citizen is pleased with the kingdom as a whole; the whole is present to each individual.] For in his will our hearts have found their peace.
T. S. Eliot called this the profoundest line in all human literature.

I find this particular part pleasing. I have often thought if I am allowed to be in heaven for all eternity I would then be happy to sit at the edge of heaven just to look in, but not be outside of it. Like someone who has not enough money to buy a ticket to a concert but knows the doorman and he lets me view from the door. This would be enough for me.

Christ also said of those who do make it to heaven are like angels, not given or giving in marriage, they are as angels before God.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you and those you love

Teresa

God Bless you and much love and peace to you and those you love
Thank you very much Teresa9, I’ve already learned so much from those small portions of the book. And may “God Bless you and much love and peace to you and those you love” as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back