Questions Protestants Can't Answer

  • Thread starter Thread starter rogue13
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I look forward to reading your commentaries on the bible. Please send them to me at
dcastlen50@hotmail.comšŸ‘

When, in the bible, it says ā€œā€¦*the devil believed *ā€¦ā€ indicates he believes, he is aware of; it does not says he has faith. My understanding of faith ( in the material since ) consist of 1. belief, 2. trust in and 3. ascension to something or someone - NOT belief only.
What say ye?

This may has an affect on your argument, but what do I know.
 
Are you arguing against all debate or just the people who like to ridicule and give false representations of their opponents?

I think it is the silent ones who have much more to be worried about than the honest debaters. The honest debaters want to grow in their own faith and share it with others.
:thumbsup:AMEN:thumbsup:
 
Apolgetics is all nice and good…but sometimes we spend to much time tied up in doctorine, that we forget about jesus…his love and influence he has had on our lives thru
faith and his word.

God bless
 
Check out the 1st in a series of YouTube videos from John Martignoni entitled, ā€œQuestions Protestants Can’t Answer.ā€ First question Protestants can’t answer: Is a dead body really a body?

youtube.com/watch?v=G8jXidiUc8s
Saw this last week after I got his newsletter… Awesome! I am so glad to see John finally on youtube… well officially!

I’d like to see more Tim Staples too!
 
Anytime I see titles such as ā€œQuestions XXX can’t answer,ā€ ā€œThe problem with XXX,ā€ ā€œWhere XXX went wrongā€ I always think one of two things: A) There’s someone who just wants an argument. Or B) There’s someone so insecure in their faith they need someone to spout chapters, verses, or lines of canon law, to make them feel safe and secure again in what they believe.
 
When I finally understood James 2:26 I could not remain a Lutheran; I had to become a Roman Catholic. Remember, Luther wanted to remove James from the Canon of Scripture. He couldn’t reconcile it with sola fides either.
 
This will be my last response on this thread. To answer the question - Yes, a dead body is a body. Likewise, dead faith is still faith. The question is, how can you turn a dead faith into a living faith? By doing ā€œgoodā€ works? I would suggest that many people have tried that, which is why Jesus says, ā€œOn that day many will say to me, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' And then will I declare to them, I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers.ā€™ā€ (Matt 7:22-23 RSV). Isn’t casting out demons a ā€œgood workā€? And yet, Jesus says He never knew these people. I would suggest that a dead faith can only be made alive in the same way a dead body can be made alive, which is through the mercy and grace of God. Eph 2:8-10 (RSV) says, ā€œFor by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not your own doing, it is the gift of God – not because of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.ā€ Notice that God has prepared the good works that we are to do, and this by the faith that He has given us. Also notice that the faith for salvation came before the works that God prepared for us to do. I would say that this clearly shows that salvation comes by faith alone (and that as a free gift from God). Just as life in the body is dependant upon God alone, so faith comes from God alone, and is not ā€œearnedā€ or ā€œdeservedā€ in any way.

Pax!
No, the question here is not how do we turn a dead faith into a living faith, the question before us is: can faith alone…which James 2:26 is dead faith…save us? You agree that James 2:26 tells us: sola corpus = dead body; sola fide = dead faith. You agree that dead faith really is faith, but that it’s dead, just like a dead body really is a body, just dead. Yet, you still cling to the belief that we are saved by faith alone. I understand why that was your last post, because you cannot explain that contradiction in your system of theology, can you? That contradiction being:

You agree, with James 2:26, that faith without works is really faith, just dead faith. And, you agree that a dead faith cannot save anyone. Yet, you believe we are saved by faith without works. That’s why it’s a Question Protestants Can’t Answer - it causes you guys all sorts of logical and scriptural consistency problems.

Regarding your ā€œsuggestionā€ about the meaning of Matt 7:22-23, I have read it, considered it, and reject it outright. You seem to be forgetting Matthew 7:21, which states that ā€œhe who DOES the will of My Fatherā€ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Does ā€œdoingā€ the will of the Father fall under the category of ā€œfaithā€ or the category of ā€œworks?ā€ And, remember Eph 2:10, that we ā€œshouldā€ do the works which the Father has prepared for us beforehand? If the Father has prepared works for us to do, then we can rightly say it is God’s will that we do these works, correct? So, can we get into the Kingdom of Heaven if we do not do God’s by not doing these works? We do indeed do these works by the grace of God through the faith that we have (also by the grace of God), but we still have to do the works, or we are not doing the will of God for our lives. Don’t do the will of God, don’t get into the Kingdom of Heaven (Matt 7:21).

By the way, the ā€œactā€ of faith is, in and of itself, a work (see John 6:27-29). The problem with your argument, that faith comes before works and thereby ā€œclearly showsā€ salvation is by faith alone, is that: 1) You are ignoring what you just admitted about James 2:26; and 2) you are looking at salvation as a one-time static event, rather than a process. Catholics do not believe our ā€œworksā€ save us - neither our faith nor our works cause God to ā€œoweā€ us salvation. Salvation is an entirely free gift of God, and this belief of ours is shown in our practice of infant baptism - the infant cannot have faith, nor do works, yet is saved by God’s grace alone. But, once we are saved by God’s free gift of of His grace, we have to respond, or we can indeed lose that salvation. Scripture says we must ā€œabideā€ in Christ. How do we abide in Christ? By faith alone? Not according to John 15:1-6 and elsewhere. We abide in Christ by producing fruit, by keeping the commandments, by loving others. Is that faith, or works? It is works, undergirded by faith, and both by the grace of God. How do you say we abide in Christ? Faith alone? Please show me where the Bible ever states such a thing?

I admit that faith generally comes before works (with the notable exception of the ā€œactā€ of faith itself - in which case it’s a tie between the two), but that in nowise proves salvation by faith alone, since salvation is a process, at least, according to Paul: ā€œWe were saved;ā€ ā€œWe are being saved,ā€ ā€œWe will be saved.ā€ Process.
 
Just a quick question - if I can give a consistent, Scriptural answer to the question that a Protestant can’t answer, what do I win?

Here’s some food for thought - Do you ā€œinfalliblyā€™ā€ understand the ā€œinfallibleā€ teachings of the Catholic Church, or are you relying on your own, fallible interpretation of what you believe is being taught? Seems to me you are in the same boat I am, except that I recognize my need to study the Scriptures to better understand what God has for me (not to mention that my source (the Scriptures) do not ā€œdevelopā€ new doctrines over time, unlike your source, but that would be another topic).
The Church does not develop ā€œnewā€ doctrines over time. She reiterates what has been taught from the beginning. We just learn more and understand more as time goes by. Also we have Tradition from the Apostles themselves to help guide us. Also, Scripture and Tradition are her sources. Those two things never contradict each other.
 
I found this exept very interesting, Mr Martignoni really had me conduct a quick scriptural research. I would be considered to be a protestant, however I am not defending that protestant stand point on Salvation. And so that the ā€œprotestantsā€ (meaning everyone who is not Catholic) agree to this statement is very erroneous.

If you refer to Ephesians 2: 8-9 - The NIV says, 'For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God
— not by works, so that no one can boast.

In my opnion if protestants are saying that they are saved by faith alone, they’re mistaken, because clearly our salvation is by grace. Because while were still sinners
Christ died for us, this had to be Grace we couldn’t earn that gift of grace.

When I go back to James 2:26 I agree with Mr Martignoni, that faith without works is dead only because that’s what the bible says. What we should also note is that there is also dead works. works without faith. Because we are saved by grace some might want to work their way through salvation and then comes the boasting.

James says the body without the spirit is dead…so too faith without works.
therefore my answer in the context of that scripture from James is yes.
faith + work = Existential Faith
faith - Works = Dead (no Faith)

What should also be ephasised here is that we should not extract one scripture verse in isolation, since there are a number of other supporting scriptures for this topic.
 
First time on this thread; I am amazed at the arguments back and forth, here to there, Peter was the first Pope, etc, et al.
Guys: Jesus is Lord. Period. Repentance, acceptance and the faith, that God instituted in us anyway. No rosaries, no redundant prayers, no infallible leadership-no vicar on earth. Mary (co redeemer arguments). Traditions, traditions, traditions. Get on your knees call on the name of Jesus, trust and obey. Let Him finish the work He starts.
Jesus is the reason for the history of mankind, not some elitist claim of sole church authority. Jesus, only Jesus. That’s it.
Be blessed and quit your doctrinal one upmanship.
 
First time on this thread; I am amazed at the arguments back and forth, here to there, Peter was the first Pope, etc, et al.
Guys: Jesus is Lord. Period. Repentance, acceptance and the faith, that God instituted in us anyway. No rosaries, no redundant prayers, no infallible leadership-no vicar on earth. Mary (co redeemer arguments). Traditions, traditions, traditions. Get on your knees call on the name of Jesus, trust and obey. Let Him finish the work He starts.
Jesus is the reason for the history of mankind, not some elitist claim of sole church authority. Jesus, only Jesus. That’s it.
Be blessed and quit your doctrinal one upmanship.
Apolgetics is all nice and good…but sometimes we spend to much time tied up in doctorine, that we forget about jesus…his love and influence he has had on our lives thru
faith and his word.

God bless
Jesus came…He taught. Doctrine is the teachings of Jesus passed on through His Church of Apostolic Authority. To ignore doctrine is to ignore Christ and His teachings, and instead treat Jesus as a hippie where Truth doesn’t matter. :knight1:
 
Jesus came…He taught. Doctrine is the teachings of Jesus passed on through His Church of Apostolic Authority. To ignore doctrine is to ignore Christ and His teachings, and instead treat Jesus as a hippie where Truth doesn’t matter. :knight1:
:amen::amen::amen::amen::amen:
 
I can hardly add anything to this discussion, but I want to! Sadly, so many Christians are far more interested in sitting on the fence, apathetic to the many ā€˜solas’ that Luther claimed and the Church Father’s. I see here the thirst for truth being revived! But the truth is not something, it is somebody! We search for Jesus when we search for truth. I pray that relativism and the trains of destructive thought flowing from that zombie child die, and die quickly.

I am a Catholic. I love Mary, the Holy Mother of God, St. Joseph her husband and universal patron of the Church, and Jesus Christ who lives and reigns with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God for ever and ever. The Holy Eucharist is the true presence of Jesus Christ, body, blood, soul, and divinity.

I am thinking of the original post: Questions Protestant’s Can’t Answer. The claim is audacious at best, because I don’t presume to know what a Protestant can’t answer. I am sure that Protestants have and will answer any and all questions they can. But how can one judge the quality of such an answer except by some standard that both Protestants and Catholics share?

My argument is about virtue: a morally good habit. The root of the word ā€œvirā€ comes from Latin, translating into ā€œmanā€, or ā€œmanhood.ā€

The result of what we believe, the fruit of the doctrine that we believe to be true ought to show us what is true. We shall ā€œknow a tree by its fruit,ā€ by demonstrating how that belief changed lives for the better.

It says in John 14:10-11 ā€œDo you believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or else believe me for the sake of the works themselves.ā€ RSV II Catholic Edition.

Can we come to an agreement to judge that which we believe by the virtue that arises from that belief?

The cardinal virtues in no particular order are justice, temperance, fortitude, and prudence.
The intellectual virtues in no particular order are knowledge, wisdom, and understanding.
The theological (infused virtues) are faith, hope, and charity.
 
First time on this thread; I am amazed at the arguments back and forth, here to there, Peter was the first Pope, etc, et al.
Guys: Jesus is Lord. Period. Repentance, acceptance and the faith, that God instituted in us anyway. No rosaries, no redundant prayers, no infallible leadership-no vicar on earth. Mary (co redeemer arguments). Traditions, traditions, traditions. Get on your knees call on the name of Jesus, trust and obey. Let Him finish the work He starts.
Jesus is the reason for the history of mankind, not some elitist claim of sole church authority. Jesus, only Jesus. That’s it.
Be blessed and quit your doctrinal one upmanship.
I got on my knees in the name of my Lord and savior, Jesus Christ; and he told me to say the rosary, do not pray without a heart. Jesus told me to follow the Tradition of the Catholic church; to see what Paul and Peter told Clement and Polycarp,

Open you heart to the church Jesus gave us. Read the bible that the Church gave us.

God love you. Please do not take this as being caustic; but true oh so ever true from The Truth.šŸ™‚
 
What good will it do you to know doctorine…if you have no love? I believe Jesus said some will say lord lord have we not preached and cast out demons in your name…and the lord will say department from me you doers of inequity I never new you.

God loves you…god bless
 
What good will it do you to know doctorine…if you have no love? I believe Jesus said some will say lord lord have we not preached and cast out demons in your name…and the lord will say department from me you doers of inequity I never new you.

God loves you…god bless
ā€œWhat good will it do to know doctrine?ā€ Well, assuming one of the if not the facit of doctrine is knowing something more about God.

If you love someone you will want to know much about them (her). In fact, you will yearn to know all about them. That is at the heart of studying anything: knowing more about God from science, math, philosophy, literature, Scripture etc. I know there are those out there that can explain this better than me. But if there is no follow-up, I will take the ball.:bowdown:
 
What good will it do you to know doctorine…if you have no love? I believe Jesus said some will say lord lord have we not preached and cast out demons in your name…and the lord will say department from me you doers of inequity I never new you.

God loves you…god bless
I appreciate the reminder but I would like to iterate that neither I nor anyone was advocating doctrine without love. Goodness knows brute memorization is useless. I was merely combating the false notion that doctrine is not important.

As faith and works go together…doctrine and loveā€¦šŸ¤·
 
First time on this thread; I am amazed at the arguments back and forth, here to there, Peter was the first Pope, etc, et al.
The question of authority will inevitably come up in any Catholic-Protestant discussion since Catholics will always ultimately defer to the authoritative Church and Protestants to their own personal interpretation of Scripture.
Repentance, acceptance and the faith, that God instituted in us anyway.
No love? (1 Cor 13)
Traditions, traditions, traditions.
Traditions, traditions, traditions (2 Thessalonians 2:15)
Jesus is the reason for the history of mankind, not some elitist claim of sole church authority.
Did someone say it was?
Be blessed and quit your doctrinal one upmanship.
Doctrine is the understanding of Jesus. It makes the difference between orthodoxy and heresy, between truth and lie, between the real Jesus and a fake one.

But anyway, …hat’s your answer to the question though? Is a dead body still a body?
 
Here’s some food for thought - Do you ā€œinfalliblyā€™ā€ understand the ā€œinfallibleā€ teachings of the Catholic Church, or are you relying on your own, fallible interpretation of what you believe is being taught? Seems to me you are in the same boat I am, except that I recognize my need to study the Scriptures to better understand what God has for me (not to mention that my source (the Scriptures) do not ā€œdevelopā€ new doctrines over time, unlike your source, but that would be another topic).
Yep, it seems like the situation is hopeless: fallible if you do, and fallible if you don’t.

In regards to the Scriptures developing new doctrines, they don’t. But it doesn’t matter, because people do it for them!
 

If you take the philosophical view, from Aristotle and St. Thomas Aquinas, the person does not exist after death and the previous body of a human is now flesh remnants that deserve dignity due to its former function, like a very important symbol of the residence of an immortal soul.
To indifferent strangers this is much ado about nothing, to the grieving relatives, the body deserves all the honor we can muster.
It may be of interest to some to examine the origin of Medicine and the fact that the Muslim doctors were far ahead, possibly, because they were willing to perform autopsies while Christians saw that as a desacration. Doctors in the Arab Empire introduced medical knowledge in newly acquired, or conquered, cities like Sicily that, providentially, was inherited by King Frederick, who established the first University outside the control of Rome.
This made it possible for St. Thomas Aqunas, on Italy, across from Sicily, and St. Albert the Great, his philosophy teacher, to make use of the books by Aristotle -that had been lost since the death of Aristotle. We are all beneficiaries of this, most unlickely, chain of events…​

Here is a question Catholics may find hard to answer If Global Warming proves to be true, and survival of the human race is seen in doubt, will the need to survive, justiry one-baby-per-family?
Think about change but no rush, we’ve got about 50 years to be in doubt.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top