Questions Regarding The Catechism of the Catholic Church

  • Thread starter Thread starter pdwhit01
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pdwhit01

Guest
Code:
 I received Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior in April 1974.  I started attending a Presbyterian church.  My wife has been Catholic since birth and when we were married in 1964, as a non-Catholic, we had to meet with the priest who was going to marry us.  Unfortunately, it wasn’t a pleasant experience for me as a non-Catholic. He was very stern faced and somewhat gruff. He laid down the law about what we could and could not do at our wedding and he told me what religion any children we would have would be. Once I agreed to all of these stipulations, we were allowed to wed in the Catholic Church. It didn’t leave me with a positive view of the Catholic Church, or priests.
In May of 1975 my wife and I attended a Marriage Encounter weekend.  It was a wonderful experience for both of us. Father Joe was our priest and he was just amazing. He completely changed my view of the Catholic Church, and priests in general. I later told him I was interested in finding out more about the Catholic Church. He met with me and my wife regularly. We went through the book “Christ Among Us,” and it took about a year to do that.  When we finished “Christ Among Us,” Father Jose suggested that we work though “The Teachings of Christ,” which was twice the length. Father Joe was a very patient and loving individual.  Instead, I made the decision to enter the Catholic Church. This was a very meaningful and wonderful experience and I have been a faithful, practicing Catholic since then. I found that I have fallen in love with the Mass and am blessed each time I experience it.
For years I have been reading through the Bible each year and seven years ago I decided to add the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) to my daily reading schedule. I found a schedule on the internet with daily reading assignments so I could complete the Catechism in a year. I purchased the latest version of the Catechism as well as “The Companion to the Catechism of the Catholic Church,” and I was on my way.
I have been faithful to my commitment and have read through the Catechism each year for six years. In my first few years I noticed that there were some things that I wasn’t sure I agreed with. I began noting the paragraph number with the intention of further research to gain a better understand. Altogether there are 126 paragraphs that I noted for further investigation.  
This year I have decided not to read through the CCC, but to start to document my questions.  I was going to save them up and take them to my Pastor, who I hoped would be able to help me with my dilemma, but after a visit the other day to Catholic Answer Forum, I thought instead that I would post my issues on a forum and see if I might get some help there. I would love to know if other Catholics feel the same as I do, or if I am way out in left field. I also look forward to gaining a better understanding of the issues through the sharing of others.
This is the first time posting on Catholic Answers Forum, so I thought I would start with an introduction of my intentions and see if I get any feedback and to determine if I am doing it correctly.
 
Last edited:
40.png
pdwhit01:
Is it possible you could copy and paste your question rather than insert it into a window? Very cumbersome to read.
 
Hi, yes copied and pasted, but I couldn’t figure out how to get the margins correctly so it was readable. Could you help me? This is my first time using this.
 
OP’s post:

"I received Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior in April 1974. I started attending a Presbyterian church. My wife has been Catholic since birth and when we were married in 1964, as a non-Catholic, we had to meet with the priest who was going to marry us. Unfortunately, it wasn’t a pleasant experience for me as a non-Catholic. He was very stern faced and somewhat gruff. He laid down the law about what we could and could not do at our wedding and he told me what religion any children we would have would be. Once I agreed to all of these stipulations, we were allowed to wed in the Catholic Church. It didn’t leave me with a positive view of the Catholic Church, or priests.

In May of 1975 my wife and I attended a Marriage Encounter weekend. It was a wonderful experience for both of us. Father Joe was our priest and he was just amazing. He completely changed my view of the Catholic Church, and priests in general. I later told him I was interested in finding out more about the Catholic Church. He met with me and my wife regularly. We went through the book “Christ Among Us,” and it took about a year to do that. When we finished “Christ Among Us,” Father Jose suggested that we work though “The Teachings of Christ,” which was twice the length. Father Joe was a very patient and loving individual. Instead, I made the decision to enter the Catholic Church. This was a very meaningful and wonderful experience and I have been a faithful, practicing Catholic since then. I found that I have fallen in love with the Mass and am blessed each time I experience it.

For years I have been reading through the Bible each year and seven years ago I decided to add the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) to my daily reading schedule. I found a schedule on the internet with daily reading assignments so I could complete the Catechism in a year. I purchased the latest version of the Catechism as well as “The Companion to the Catechism of the Catholic Church,” and I was on my way.

I have been faithful to my commitment and have read through the Catechism each year for six years. In my first few years I noticed that there were some things that I wasn’t sure I agreed with. I began noting the paragraph number with the intention of further research to gain a better understand. Altogether there are 126 paragraphs that I noted for further investigation.

This year I have decided not to read through the CCC, but to start to document my questions. I was going to save them up and take them to my Pastor, who I hoped would be able to help me with my dilemma, but after a visit the other day to Catholic Answer Forum, I thought instead that I would post my issues on a forum and see if I might get some help there. I would love to know if other Catholics feel the same as I do, or if I am way out in left field. I also look forward to gaining a better understanding of the issues through the sharing of others.

This is the first time posting on Catholic Answers Forum, so I thought I would start with an introduction of my intentions and see if I get any feedback and to determine if I am doing it correctly."
 
Last edited:
Start out by searching the forum for the specific questions you have; there’s a good chance it’s been brought up. Also, look on the main Catholic Answers website; it’s a wealth of resources on any topic you can think of.
 
Welcome to the forum. You will get lots of good answers, and some not so good, to your questions. But fire away with your questions, if it doesn’t satisfy you, go back to plan A and see your pastor.
 
Hi, welcome. If you have read through the Catechism every year for 6 years and made 126 notes, you’re probably way ahead of 90 percent of Catholics in your knowledge of what is in there.

I agree with HopkinsReb’s suggestion that you should search the forums to see if your questions have already been addressed. If you don’t find a suitable answer, start a new thread. You will get the best answers if you try to put your thread in the right category, for example, questions about Scripture go in “Apologetics/ Sacred Scripture”, questions about morality go in “Apologetics/ Moral Theology”, quesitons about the liturgy or sacraments go in “Liturgy and Sacraments” and so on.

I would recommend you try searching with both forum search and Google search (just restrict it to the domain forums.caf.com) as sometimes forum search doesn’t work right.

Good luck with obtaining the answers you are looking for.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top