Quick Latin help, please!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rand_Al_Thor
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rand_Al_Thor

Guest
Pax vobiscum!

I just want to make sure I have this translated right. I saw it traslated two different ways, so I want to know if they are both ok to use or if I need to use one of them.

Per Christum Dominum nostrum, qui vivit et regnat cum Patre in unitate Spiritus Sancti Deus, per omnia saecula saeculorum. Amen.

Is it supposed to be “vivit et regnat” or “vivis et regnas”? For my Literature of the Medieval Church class, we are writing medieval sermons in groups and I wanted to add some Latin to give it more of a “medieval” feel.

In Christ,
Rand
 
You are correct.

It is ‘vivit et regnat.’

Pax Christi Rand Al’Thor

et sursus cor

Jonathan
 
Pax vobiscum!

I just want to make sure I have this translated right. I saw it traslated two different ways, so I want to know if they are both ok to use or if I need to use one of them.

Per Christum Dominum nostrum, qui vivit et regnat cum Patre in unitate Spiritus Sancti Deus, per omnia saecula saeculorum. Amen.

Is it supposed to be “vivit et regnat” or “vivis et regnas”? For my Literature of the Medieval Church class, we are writing medieval sermons in groups and I wanted to add some Latin to give it more of a “medieval” feel.

In Christ,
Rand
I’d use “vivit et regnat” to keep with the third-person tense of the english. That’s just me though.
 
Pax vobiscum!

I just want to make sure I have this translated right. I saw it traslated two different ways, so I want to know if they are both ok to use or if I need to use one of them.

Per Christum Dominum nostrum, qui vivit et regnat cum Patre in unitate Spiritus Sancti Deus, per omnia saecula saeculorum. Amen.

Is it supposed to be “vivit et regnat” or “vivis et regnas”? For my Literature of the Medieval Church class, we are writing medieval sermons in groups and I wanted to add some Latin to give it more of a “medieval” feel.
I can’t speak to “medieval”, but in modern prayer there are 3 typical conclusions to liturgical prayer:

  1. *]Prayer directed to the Father:
    Per Dominum nostrum Iesum Christum, Filium tuum, qui tecum vivit et regnat in unitate Spiritus Sancti, Deus, per omnia saecula saeculorum.

    Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, for ever and ever.
    *]Prayer directed to the Father after which a mention of the Son is made:
    Qui tecum vivit et regnat in unitate Spiritus Sancti, Deus, per omnia saecula saeculorum.

    Who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, for ever and ever.
    *]Prayer directed to the Son:
    *Qui vivis et regnas cum Deo Patre in unitate Spiritus Sancti, Deus, per omnia saecula saeculorum.
    *
    Who live and reign with God the Father in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, for ever and ever.

    tee
 
Is it supposed to be “vivit et regnat” or “vivis et regnas”? For my Literature of the Medieval Church class, we are writing medieval sermons in groups and I wanted to add some Latin to give it more of a “medieval” feel.

In Christ,
Rand
You’re talking about, not to the Son, so it’s “vivit et regnat.”

Edwin
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top