Quick question about book content

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kathrin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kathrin

Guest
I like to read novels for relaxation/entertainment.

I just stopped reading one, even though I paid for it (these are not expensive books, but with a small budget still an expense), because I felt it wasn’t good for me personally to read. Bought another one. Started reading it. Now I have been having some second thoughts anyway (I thought it was ok when I bought it), because it has some kind of “supernatural” content; it contains somebody hunting a killer who is, or may be, a demon.

Since I alread ybought it and the story doesn’t seem to be bad, it also contains some interesting psychological things, I would like to keep reading it. I wonder if this in any way may be sinful… I remember there being a discussion about Harry Potter (this is not Harry Potter, but that was also because of supernaturalism, wasn’t it?)… which was quite controversial… or do I remember that wrong?
Not really sure what the Chruch says about such things.
Any help apprciated. 🙂

Kathrin
 
I like to read novels for relaxation/entertainment.

I just stopped reading one, even though I paid for it (these are not expensive books, but with a small budget still an expense), because I felt it wasn’t good for me personally to read. Bought another one. Started reading it. Now I have been having some second thoughts anyway (I thought it was ok when I bought it), because it has some kind of “supernatural” content; it contains somebody hunting a killer who is, or may be, a demon.

Since I alread ybought it and the story doesn’t seem to be bad, it also contains some interesting psychological things, I would like to keep reading it. I wonder if this in any way may be sinful… I remember there being a discussion about Harry Potter (this is not Harry Potter, but that was also because of supernaturalism, wasn’t it?)… which was quite controversial… or do I remember that wrong?
Not really sure what the Chruch says about such things.
Any help apprciated. 🙂

Kathrin
I don’t think it’s a sin to read it as long as you aren’t someone attracted to demons and the supernatural. I’ve had the same experience buying books on Kindle–and if I buy it, I read it unless it’s just a bad book. Most of us have seen a Dracula movie or something close to it and realize that these things are imaginary. For that matter, Mickey Mouse is imaginary. If you are a person easily swayed by what you read or see–then perhaps not. But simply reading a made up story is not in itself a sin. Just remember that it’s only a story that someone made up.
 
I like to read novels for relaxation/entertainment.

I just stopped reading one, even though I paid for it (these are not expensive books, but with a small budget still an expense), because I felt it wasn’t good for me personally to read. Bought another one. Started reading it. Now I have been having some second thoughts anyway (I thought it was ok when I bought it), because it has some kind of “supernatural” content; it contains somebody hunting a killer who is, or may be, a demon.

Since I alread ybought it and the story doesn’t seem to be bad, it also contains some interesting psychological things, I would like to keep reading it. I wonder if this in any way may be sinful… I remember there being a discussion about Harry Potter (this is not Harry Potter, but that was also because of supernaturalism, wasn’t it?)… which was quite controversial… or do I remember that wrong?
Not really sure what the Chruch says about such things.
Any help apprciated. 🙂

Kathrin
I stay away from anything that potentially hazardous to my spiritual well being. Why waste the time on it. What we need today are clear minds seeking the TRUTH of God and trusting in HIS Mercy. There is an overwhelming amount of real things to worry about and pray for today. There are so many really good books out there to read, it would take a lifetime to read them all. God Bless, Memaw
 
Thank you for your replies.

I don’t think it is hazardous for my spiritual well-being to read a book like that (the other one, that I stopped reading, maybe, for me personally, because of a personal problem I have… not sure even there though, but for now I put that one away).

And I have put books away for very bad language before, at least one I do remember that was just too offensive language-wise.

Yes I do know it’s a made up story. I guess i would rather that the “bad guy” is just a person and not something “supernatural”… the psychologically interesting aspects of the book could remain the same. I prefer stories set in the real world, so to speak…

But I remember reading a book by the same author, and the story was good, even though also with this superantural aspect (but not TOO supernatural…).

And no, I have no attraction to anything evil, of course not!!!
That is th emost important thing of course.

And yes, i do know there are a lot of good books out there. But not always at hand’s reach, especially if one has to watch the price… 🙂

K-
 
Thank you for your replies.

I don’t think it is hazardous for my spiritual well-being to read a book like that (the other one, that I stopped reading, maybe, for me personally, because of a personal problem I have… not sure even there though, but for now I put that one away).

And I have put books away for very bad language before, at least one I do remember that was just too offensive language-wise.

Yes I do know it’s a made up story. I guess i would rather that the “bad guy” is just a person and not something “supernatural”… the psychologically interesting aspects of the book could remain the same. I prefer stories set in the real world, so to speak…

But I remember reading a book by the same author, and the story was good, even though also with this superantural aspect (but not TOO supernatural…).

And no, I have no attraction to anything evil, of course not!!!
That is th emost important thing of course.

And yes, i do know there are a lot of good books out there. But not always at hand’s reach, especially if one has to watch the price… 🙂

K-
Look in the Thrift Stores. So why are you asking us. God Bless, Memaw
 
Why I am asking… you mean, why am i asking even when I feel it’s not dangerous to me?
Maybe because I wanted to know whether there are any official statements of the Church as to whether it is allowed… that is, maybe I could say it like this: Is the individual ALLOWED to judge for themselves if a certain book (or movie, or whatever) is dangerous for them or not?

Or maybe justa sking for reassurance.😊

Kathrin
 
I don’t think that there is any listing, per se. We should just use our judgment as to our intent. If it is leisurely and you are strong in faith, it’s usually not a problem. If you are interested in learning more about Marxism because you think it might be on track, that would be a problem. It seems like the bishops are more active against books written by Catholic authors professing a spiritual message, but it actually is at odds with Catholic teaching.

I can remember warnings about the ‘golden compass’ stuff as it attempted to lure its readers toward an atheistic end (I never read it/them, so I couldn’t say).
 
It seems like the bishops are more active against books written by Catholic authors professing a spiritual message, but it actually is at odds with Catholic teaching.
That I can very much understand, because people might read it feeling it must be Catholic teaching because it is written by a Catholic author… so it is good to warn people about that.

Did the Church have an official statement about Harry Potter, by the way, does anybody remember that?

K.
 
Why I am asking… you mean, why am i asking even when I feel it’s not dangerous to me?
Maybe because I wanted to know whether there are any official statements of the Church as to whether it is allowed… that is, maybe I could say it like this: Is the individual ALLOWED to judge for themselves if a certain book (or movie, or whatever) is dangerous for them or not?

Or maybe justa sking for reassurance.😊

Kathrin
Strong faith, common sense and good judgement is wha’ts needed. The Church doesn’t give an “official statement” on every little thing. We’re supposed to form our conscience on the Church’s strong moral beliefs. The old saying is, “When in doubt, don’t do it” God Bless, Memaw
 
I think this saying isn’t necessarily valid for those who have issues with scrupulosity. Because they doubt TOO much. 😉
 
I think this saying isn’t necessarily valid for those who have issues with scrupulosity. Because they doubt TOO much. 😉
Then they need help from a priest or good spiritual director and probably shouldn’t be reading those kinds of books anyway. God Bless, Memaw
 
That I can very much understand, because people might read it feeling it must be Catholic teaching because it is written by a Catholic author… so it is good to warn people about that.

Did the Church have an official statement about Harry Potter, by the way, does anybody remember that?

K.
There is this thread, which is a continuation of another that is linked in the first post. It sounds like much ado about nothing to me. It seems that B16 had a concern about the impressionable young mind in its development of the characters of good and evil, which is a reasonable concern, but there is no strong statements pro or con that I know of. Personally, I liked the books and movies and found much Catholicism seeping through the pages as matters of detail (not storyline).
 
Again, I maybe should not have asked here.
If there is no official statement, then I must make this decision myself.

I probably should know best what could harm me and what not. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a sin to read it… when I feel it will not harm me and isn’t really a bad book and has some interesting aspects. Just because of that one aspects that it contains the figure of a demon, or of demons.

(they are in the Bible too anyway, but of course that is different. Maybe my uncertainty has to do with the question, are we allowed to write about “supernatural” things that we can’t really know well enough?
But then, many natural things we don’t know all that well either… 😉

In any case, to me personally more than one priest has told me what to do when I am not sure about something… so I should stick with this (but not writing too much about it because it was something said to me personally, from somebody who knew me and the workings of my conscience at least to some extent).
 
Only God and your conscience can tell what may be a sin for you. We really can;t judge.

I really enjoyed the first two books of the Golden Compass series, but did not read the third one because I read the reviews, and it portrays God the father, as I recall, as a pathetic alien creature. I dislike anything that slams the God who made and saved me, so that was fairly easy to give up.
I can’t read some of Dean Koontz’ books because his villains are so evil, and he gets inside their minds more than I want to. Usually I just read the parts without the villains.
It’s always a good idea to “look inside the book” on Amazon, and read the reviews, Usually you can tell, by what other Christians say, if something is going to be problematic.
There is a ton of great literature, so should be easy to find something acceptable. Michael O’brien’s books have supernatural elements and are beautifully written. The classics also.
 
I’m kind of careful to mention what book(s) exaclty I am talking about, because I don’t want to be the cause for any slandering that might happen… 😉
Only God and your conscience can tell what may be a sin for you. We really can;t judge.
I know that, I just thought somebody might know if the Church has made an offical statement against reading anything supernatural etc etc… Personally I do feel I can judge for myself what I can read and what not, but I may be wrong :).
 
I’m kind of careful to mention what book(s) exaclty I am talking about, because I don’t want to be the cause for any slandering that might happen… ;).
I don’t think you can apply slander to books. When a writer puts a book out there, he’s opening it up for reviews, criticism, and concerns.
I just thought somebody might know if the Church has made an official statement against reading anything supernatural etc etc… Personally I do feel I can judge for myself what I can read and what not, but I may be wrong :).
I don’t think there’s any official statement. It would be hard to separate good books that treat of the supernatural, such as C.S.Lewis’ fantasies, from books that might do us harm. And it might depend on the reader.
So you are probably the best judge of what’s best for you. But keep in mind Paul’s dictum from Phllippians: “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things”.
 
If the Church were against reading the supernatural, it would have to be against reading the Bible. It would also have to be against reading many biographies of the saints.

Demons are real and we, as the Church Militant, are engaged in a battle with them. Ephesians 6:12 says, “For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood; but against principalities and power, against the rulers of the world of this darkness, against the spirits of wickedness in the high places.”

Jesus Himself tells us in Matthew 10:28 “Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather be afraid of the one who can destroy both soul and body in Hell.”

My second novel (see the link in my signature) has a demon as a character, and my third novel, which will be published this spring, also has a demon as a character.

One of the reasons I wrote them is to give a warning that demons are our enemy, which is entirely in line with both the Bible and Church teaching. I also show the triumph of God’s love over these powers of darkness. Both of these books have been approved for publication by my Spiritual Director.
 
In the book that I am reading the main character now actually talked to a Catholic priest about demons 😉 which I thought quite interesting to read (and I liked the way the priest answered too).

There are some other aspects about that book which may be problematic, but as I have a strong tendency toward scrupulosity, confirmed by more than one priest, maybe I exaggerate.

Often wehn I read questions come up as to whether or not I am allowed to read on. There s an area of content that is problematic for me personally, as it causes something in me that is not good, but then sometimes I am not sure if the book is a no-no if it has only some few references to that area… and when the problematic thoughts it may also be that they come because I am afraid they might come, just reading a passage that hints at the problematic area.

I think the most important thing is that we don’t read something with the purpose of sinning (for example, reading love stories with the purpose of getting sexual thoughts, reading smething violent with the purpose of getting excited about violence, etc).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top