W
Weareyoung
Guest
Can a Pope define something ex cathedra (as dogma), that was not already left in the deposit of faith by the time the last of the apostles died?
I thought the answer was a blatant no but I have some (Catholic) friends who are convinced that a Pope can define a dogma that was not part of the “deposit of faith”.
I was convinced that a Pope cannot define as dogma something outside the “deposit of faith” because all of our dogmas come from the apostles and the “deposit of faith” even if they aren’t defined as dogma until modern times.
I thought the answer was a blatant no but I have some (Catholic) friends who are convinced that a Pope can define a dogma that was not part of the “deposit of faith”.
I was convinced that a Pope cannot define as dogma something outside the “deposit of faith” because all of our dogmas come from the apostles and the “deposit of faith” even if they aren’t defined as dogma until modern times.