Quick Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter catholic0913
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

catholic0913

Guest
Is it correct for one to say:

“If God does not refuse certain things, then it will happen; and if God refuses certain things, it will not happen”

?

Thank you
 
Is it correct for one to say:

“If God does not refuse certain things, then it will happen; and if God refuses certain things, it will not happen”

?

Thank you
The first clause is incorrect. Things that God does not “refuse” (I would probably select the word “prevent” instead) CAN happen, but don’t necessarily always happen. If God outright prevents something, however, we can be certain that it will not happen, as you correctly state in the second clause of your sentence.

To add to this, there are many things which God does not will directly, and in fact, does not wish to occur; evil is an example of this. However, God often **permits **such things because He sees a greater good that can be obtained from them. This act of permission is not creating the evil, but merely tolerating it.
 
Is it correct for one to say:

“If God does not refuse certain things, then it will happen; and if God refuses certain things, it will not happen”
I would say that’s correct, but you left out several options.

God could refuse something, but only termporarily.
God could refuse something, only to give something else which is better.

If God does not refuse something, that doesn’t necessarily mean that it will always happen. For example: his forgiveness is not refused to anyone, but it is conditional on whether the person actually seeks forgiveness.
 
I guess what I meant was the following:
“If we ask God for something, and if God does not refuse it, then it will happen”

Is the above statement correct?

Thanks again!
 
I guess what I meant was the following:
“If we ask God for something, and if God does not refuse it, then it will happen”

Is the above statement correct?

Thanks again!
No, that statement is not correct.

Further, it is usually impossible for us to tell whether God has or has not refused a request, so even if the statement was true, we wouldn’t learn anything from it.
 
I guess what I meant was the following:
“If we ask God for something, and if God does not refuse it, then it will happen”

Is the above statement correct?

Thanks again!
I don’t think this is correct. Suppose a woman asks God to send her a baby. Maybe God even wills she has another child; He does not refuse her. But if she and her husband don’t do their part, it won’t happen. God works within our natures and allows for our own choices (including other people’s choices) to affect what happens in our lives. So in my scenario, God is not preventing (or refusing) the couple from having a baby, but it cannot come to fruition unless the couple is naturally fertile and engages in the act that is designed to produce the intended result.
 
I guess what I meant was the following:
“If we ask God for something, and if God does not refuse it, then it will happen”

Is the above statement correct?

Thanks again!
Another example of how this could be incorrect. Say you are asking for a job and God wills for you to obtain that job. But it is dependent on you actually going and applying for that job. The same goes for prayers for someone to kick a drug addiction. God wills that also, but the person with the drug addiction also has to cooperate with God’s graces.
 
Hi,

Thank you for all your reply.
I totally understand that we have our own free will.
However, don’t we have free will because God wills to “permit” his creation’s free will?
If the ownership our own free will does not depend on God, how can God be omniscience, for our actions or choices will be unpredictable?

In this last attempt, I will make my sentence more precise:

“Anything that God does not refuse - either in his permissive or ordained will - happens”

is it correct?

Thanks again!
 
Another example of how this could be incorrect. Say you are asking for a job and God wills for you to obtain that job. But it is dependent on you actually going and applying for that job. The same goes for prayers for someone to kick a drug addiction. God wills that also, but the person with the drug addiction also has to cooperate with God’s graces.
Hi,
Realistically yes of course you are right! but I believe God has power to either get someone a job or make someone to conceive baby under an unrealistic setting (e.g. virgin conceiving a child - think of virgin Mary our mother of God!)
 
Anything that God does not refuse - either in his permissive or ordained will - happens
I think I’m getting hung up on the “refuse” part. I’d probably phrase it: “Nothing can happen without God either willing or permitting it.”
 
More on the “conceiving baby” analogy:

If someone wants a baby but didn’t get to have one because the person did not take his or her part, then it is right to say “God refused to allow the person to have baby without taking his or her part”…

More on the “request not granted now but later” analogy:

In such a case, he still refusing to grant it right away but he is not refusing to grant it later…am I right?

I believe that anything that God does not refuse happens - am I right?
 
More on the “conceiving baby” analogy:

If someone wants a baby but didn’t get to have one because the person did not take his or her part, then it is right to say “God refused to allow the person to have baby without taking his or her part”…

More on the “request not granted now but later” analogy:

In such a case, he still refusing to grant it right away but he is not refusing to grant it later…am I right?

I believe that anything that God does not refuse happens - am I right?
You are incorrect. My previous posts already answered your question.
 
You are incorrect. My previous posts already answered your question.
Hello,

Thank you for your reply.
I do understand what you are saying in regards to the existence of evil, but to me it does not mean that it is possible for something that God does not refuse cannot happen.

To me, evil exists because God still wills to permit evil, because God is love.
Without the presence of evil, without our ability to choose between the things that are good or bad, the true love between God and his creation would not exist in this world.

so God did not refuse the existence of evil, even amongst his angels (Lucifer), for greater good.
 
Hello,

Thank you for your reply.
I do understand what you are saying in regards to the existence of evil, but to me it does not mean that it is possible for something that God does not refuse cannot happen.

To me, evil exists because God still wills to permit evil, because God is love.
Without the presence of evil, without our ability to choose between the things that are good or bad, the true love between God and his creation would not exist in this world.

so God did not refuse the existence of evil, even amongst his angels (Lucifer), for greater good.
I see. I think this can be helped with a consideration of the laws of logic.

Let’s say we have a statement, which is given as true:

Statement 1: “If A is TRUE, then B is TRUE.”

That statement is true. Now tell me, if this statement is also true:

Statement 2: “If A is FALSE, then B is FALSE.”

Does that look true to you? If you said “No” you have correctly seen the issue. This second statement is the inverse of the first statement. The inverse is not always true.

Here’s proof:

Example 1: “If it rains, then school is cancelled.”

Let’s make it as given that that is true. Now look at the inverse:

Example 2: “If it does not rain, then school is not cancelled.”

That is NOT true, because there could be any number of reasons for school to be cancelled. Therefore, the inverse of a true statement is not always true.

Now, let’s bring this back to this current example. You have correctly stated (and I believe we are in full agreement) that anything which God does not permit can not happen. Agreed?

Statement: “Anything which God does not permit can not happen.”

Now, the inverse of that statement:

Inverse: “Anything which God permits will happen.”

By the same measure, that statement is not logically true. We know it is not true because there are certain things which God DOES permit, but do not happen, because some other factor did or did not occur.

I hope this helps. Does that make a bit more sense?
 
I see. I think this can be helped with a consideration of the laws of logic.

Let’s say we have a statement, which is given as true:

Statement 1: “If A is TRUE, then B is TRUE.”

That statement is true. Now tell me, if this statement is also true:

Statement 2: “If A is FALSE, then B is FALSE.”

Does that look true to you? If you said “No” you have correctly seen the issue. This second statement is the inverse of the first statement. The inverse is not always true.

Here’s proof:

Example 1: “If it rains, then school is cancelled.”

Let’s make it as given that that is true. Now look at the inverse:

Example 2: “If it does not rain, then school is not cancelled.”

That is NOT true, because there could be any number of reasons for school to be cancelled. Therefore, the inverse of a true statement is not always true.

Now, let’s bring this back to this current example. You have correctly stated (and I believe we are in full agreement) that anything which God does not permit can not happen. Agreed?

Statement: “Anything which God does not permit can not happen.”

Now, the inverse of that statement:

Inverse: “Anything which God permits will happen.”

By the same measure, that statement is not logically true. We know it is not true because there are certain things which God DOES permit, but do not happen, because some other factor did or did not occur.

I hope this helps. Does that make a bit more sense?
Hello,

I have a degree in Math, and I believe that from my logic class, I was taught if a statement is true, then the inverse of statement may or may not be true (or may or may not be false). There is no guarantee that if a statement is true, then the inverse of the statement is automatically false. on the other hand,

assume that the following statement is true:

if A, then B (if God refuesus, then it doesn’t happen) - (i)

then the statement

if not B, then not A (if it does happen, then God did not refuse) - (ii)

is also guaranteed to be true.

since

if not A, then not B (if God does not refuse, then it does happen) is the inverse of the statement (ii), it may or may not be true.

in fact, how can God be the master of history if something that he permits does not happen?
(Catechism of the Catholic Church, article 269: "Nothing is impossible with God, who disposes his works according to his will He is the Lord of the universe, whose order he established and which remains wholly subject to him and at his disposal. He is master of history, governing hearts and events in keeping with his will: “It is always in your power to show great strength, and who can withstand the strength of your arm?”)
 
Hello,

I have a degree in Math, and I believe that from my logic class, I was taught if a statement is true, then the inverse of statement may or may not be true (or may or may not be false). There is no guarantee that if a statement is true, then the inverse of the statement is automatically false. on the other hand,

assume that the following statement is true:

if A, then B (if God refuesus, then it doesn’t happen) - (i)

then the statement

if not B, then not A (if it does happen, then God did not refuse) - (ii)

is also guaranteed to be true.
This is correct, but not the inverse.

Since you say you have a math degree, you know that the alternate statement you just made is the contrapositive. The contrapositive is always true in 100% of cases. Not so with the inverse and converse.

So, then you haven’t proven that things which God does not “refuse” are guaranteed to occur.
 
since not A, then not B (if God does not refuse, then it does happen) is the inverse of the statement (ii), it may or may not be true.
Hi, please see the above quote to see that I was* not *saying that the mathematical logic implies my original statement (if God does not refuse, then it does happen) is necessarily true.

Since it is the inverse (like you mentioned) of statement (ii), it may or may not be true ( or may or may not be false).

But the catechism seems to support my opinion - how can God be the master of history, and how can universe be fully subject to him, if what God permits does not necessarily occur?

Sometimes God chooses to permit something that we take to be bad for the greater good, and in my opinion, it does happen.
 
But the catechism seems to support my opinion - how can God be the master of history, and how can universe be fully subject to him, if what God permits does not necessarily occur?
The answer to that question lies in the meaning of the word “permit”. To permit means to allow, that is, to not prevent. It doesn’t necessarily mean that the agent is causing the thing to happen, but merely that the agent allows it.

When you say that God PERMITS a thing to happen, you are saying that He is not preventing it. You are not saying that He is causing it to happen, or even necessarily that He wants it to happen.
 
Hi,

not refusing simply means not refusing (not declining; allowing). It does not mean God is necessarily very happy about it.

During the times of Judges, when Israelites asked God for a king, God sternly warned them that it would not be a good thing for them to have a king. But at the end, God did not refuse their request…he allowed Israelites to have their own king, and Israelites had their kings for generations to come.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top