Quitting smoking?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tradycja
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tradycja

Guest
Any advice on how to quit smoking? I just had what I hope is my last cigarette. I had a stressful job last year and used smoking as a way to deal with stress, then I ended up getting addicted. The longest I have gone without smoking for the past 6 months is two weeks. I’ve tried like 4 times to stop.
 
15 years free of the addiction and thats what it is, not a “habit”. First , drink a lot of cold spring water, especially when you get the urge. Water is a cleanser and pschologically it heals as well. Think of the nicotine as an enemy you won’t give into. I would say, 'keep gnawing at me you ain’t gonna get it". Jog or get yourself winded when you get attacks, that offsets the addiction and the shortness of breath causes a non desire. Keep at it. Don’t give in!
 
I just quit about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and am using the patch.

Who ever invented the patch should be canonized. 😃

I have tried to quit cold turkey in the past, and it just never worked. This has allowed me to start breaking the habits associated with smoking. Like the one after you eat, the one when you get in the car, etc.

Breaking those habits makes it easier to step down on the patch.

Good Luck, we’re in this together!!
 
I quit about 9yrs ago.

Ironicly, last night I was going through a box and came across a full pack of smokes!!! I ran my hands over that pack for a minute and then threw them out.😛

I smoked 2 packs/day for 31 yrs and after a good year of asking for God’s help I woke up one morning, had one smoke, and never did it again.

Thanks God.

You can and will do this. 👍
 
My hubbys best friend smoked for 10 years and subsituted cigarettes for the water vapor cigarettes, really really worked for him and if he ever desperately needs one he uses the water vapor one.

I’ve never smoked so don’t know personally, but perhaps this would work for you?

Congratulations on quitting!!!
 
I quit smoking 6.5 months ago and it’s tough.

I would highly recommend getting a starter kit from Greensmoke Electronic cigarettes, if you think quitting would be hell. You still get to puff (just water vapor and nicotine) but you can choose the nicotine levels and can step right down to 0. Also there is no smell, no harmful chemicals, and you can smoke them anywhere. It really, really, really satisfies cravings. I used an e cigarette when I couldn’t take it anymore without a real one and it took the edge off.

You HAVE to want to do it MORE than you want to keep smoking, that mental part is very hard.

I had periods of complete hell until I hit six weeks. After six weeks, it got noticeably easier.

Pray. Out loud. A lot.

I was a 2 pack a day smoker for 24 years. If I did it, you can do it.
 
No matter what you do, *don’t smoke once you have quit. *Do not smoke even one cigarette!!! That has messed me up every time I quit, and now I am still smoking. But the next time I quit, I will remember *not to smoke!!! *Don’t think you should smoke one to celebrate quitting (how dumb was that of me???); don’t smoke one because you want to see if you can smoke sometimes; don’t smoke one as a special treat at a wedding; don’t smoke one because you miss smoking; don’t smoke one *for **any **reason *at all!!! **
 
Any advice on how to quit smoking? I just had what I hope is my last cigarette. I had a stressful job last year and used smoking as a way to deal with stress, then I ended up getting addicted. The longest I have gone without smoking for the past 6 months is two weeks. I’ve tried like 4 times to stop.
Yes as the second poster said constantly have a bottle of water with you. I would say to also say the Rosary constantly and maybe mention your addiction in confession and tell of the times that you failed and had a cigarette. Oh, and one last thing STAY AWAY FROM SMOKERS! That is such a stumbling block for most people who try. It would be like trying to break the addiction of sins of the flesh and constantly having pornography shoved down your throat.
 
Over six months for me and lately I am dreaming about it all of the time. The temptation hits me most when I see packs of cigs in the gas station (boy do they look dreamy) and in my dreams…but that is the only puff I take anymore.

You might also want to visit whyquit.com.

A gigantic helpful website run by this Joel person who quit successfully. On every single page and discussion he says “Never take another puff!” and like the previous poster stated that is the secret to stay quit.

However if you do mess up and smoke again ( I did three times) just stop again.

Another thing that helped me: if you have any cigarette butts in your house left, put them in a jar and cover them with water. Keep the jar. When you want a cig, open the jar and smell. It will put you off.

Also, keep telling yourself you are a nonsmoker. Those things helped me, though it’s different for every person.

And if you do muck it up, make a list of what worked for you during the quit and what didn’t…and use it toward the next time.

Nicotine craving in the first couple of weeks is like a small, petulant child tugging at your sleeve constantly saying “CIGARETTE NOW, I WANT A CIGARETTE NOW, LET’S HAVE A CIGARETTE, CIGARETTE NOW,” you get the point. You have to just keep telling it No and eventually it will lessen.
👍
 
Over six months for me and lately I am dreaming about it all of the time. The temptation hits me most when I see packs of cigs in the gas station (boy do they look dreamy) and in my dreams…but that is the only puff I take anymore.

You might also want to visit whyquit.com.

A gigantic helpful website run by this Joel person who quit successfully. On every single page and discussion he says “Never take another puff!” and like the previous poster stated that is the secret to stay quit.

However if you do mess up and smoke again ( I did three times) just stop again.

Another thing that helped me: if you have any cigarette butts in your house left, put them in a jar and cover them with water. Keep the jar. When you want a cig, open the jar and smell. It will put you off.

Also, keep telling yourself you are a nonsmoker. Those things helped me, though it’s different for every person.

And if you do muck it up, make a list of what worked for you during the quit and what didn’t…and use it toward the next time.

Nicotine craving in the first couple of weeks is like a small, petulant child tugging at your sleeve constantly saying “CIGARETTE NOW, I WANT A CIGARETTE NOW, LET’S HAVE A CIGARETTE, CIGARETTE NOW,” you get the point. You have to just keep telling it No and eventually it will lessen.
👍
I’ve been wondering. Sometimes on the internet I see ads for something called an “electronic cigarette” Anyone know what these are about? (I don’t smoke but just curious how you can have an electronic cigarette)🤷 Also I remember a pastor saying once “Cigarettes may not send you to hell, but why would you want to smell like you had been there?”🙂
 
I have seen e-cigs help some people, but for me the nicotine content is extremely high, it’s hard to know how much nicotine you are getting at a time. I’ve had bad reactions to e-cigs in the past, I think i may be allergic to the other ingredients in them.

E-cigs are what got me back into smoking real cigs earlier this year. Not saying that they don’t work for a lot of people, they just didn’t work for me.
 
I quit a couple of mths ago cold turkey. The first couple of wks were really hard but it has got easier. Sometimes in the evening I feel like one, but the thinking about smoking is reducing.

The last time I quit I used nicotine lozenges, but for me they made it worse. I was 3 months out and weaning off the lozenges when I restarted. I definitely think it’s better to suffer for a few wks and get the nicotine out of yr system.
 
Thanks for the WhyQuit website, that has really helped me. Especially the explanations of how withdrawl works.

Today has been absolutely miserable. I have been experiencing extremely foggy thinking and depression.
 
Thanks for the WhyQuit website, that has really helped me. Especially the explanations of how withdrawl works.

Today has been absolutely miserable. I have been experiencing extremely foggy thinking and depression.
Stick with it!!

I know this is going to sound really really odd, but it works for me when I have a craving. It also worked when my mother was ill and in alot of pain.

When the craving starts getting to me, I just say out loud, “Cream Corn”. It is so stupid, it immediately changes my focus from smoking.

I told you it sounds stupid, but anything you can do to change your focus is going to help with withdrawls, The weirdness of it all kind of snaps you out of a fog too.

Keep going, you’re doing great!!
 
I’ve been wondering. Sometimes on the internet I see ads for something called an “electronic cigarette” Anyone know what these are about? (I don’t smoke but just curious how you can have an electronic cigarette)🤷 Also I remember a pastor saying once “Cigarettes may not send you to hell, but why would you want to smell like you had been there?”🙂
Yup. There are disposable e cigs you can buy in gas stations and stuff that are a lot weaker than the ones in a kit that you can plug in. Greensmoke is an extremely popular one. You buy a battery, which looks like the tube of a cigarette, which is what you plug in and charge. They come with cartomizers, which screw on to the end of the battery and come in all different flavors, reds, chocolate, vanilla, etc. They come in all different nicotine strengths. So all you do is screw the cartomizer (looks like the filter tip of a cig) onto the battery and puff.

They are not a cigarette, but I’d say 80 percent like a cigarette. But even better because there is no smoke, no tar, no ash, no smell, no health risks. (besides nicotine, which has been proven no more harmful than caffeine as it is a stimulant). You can also “smoke” them anywhere.
 
Yes, please quit.

My mother has COPD, carries an oxygen tank- when she does leave her house, and has started smoking again.

I give her two years max. I can be angry, disappointed, think she is selfish, but that doesn’t do any good. It is an addiction. 😦
 
Made it to 72 hours already. Still have a splitting headache though.
 
Many folks have moved over to those “vaping” things. If a person can’t quit I think this is a much better option. I’m sure it has some side effects but certainly nothing like smoking.

I know 2 former smokers who switched to them and love the things.
 
Made it to 72 hours already. Still have a splitting headache though.
A natural, and quite effective headache remedy is, a glass of orange juice, and add 1 teaspoon of sugar. Try to drink it as quickly as possible without gulping it down.

You didn’t give up caffeine at the same time as smoking did you? A caffeine headache is one of the worst ever.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top