No matter what you do, *don’t smoke once you have quit. *Do not smoke even one cigarette!!! That has messed me up every time I quit, and now I am still smoking. But the next time I quit, I will remember *not to smoke!!! *Don’t think you should smoke one to celebrate quitting (how dumb was that of me???); don’t smoke one because you want to see if you can smoke sometimes; don’t smoke one as a special treat at a wedding; don’t smoke one because you miss smoking; don’t smoke one *for **any ***reason *at all!!! *
This is good advice. I quit once for a year, and my sister asked me to hold her cigarette for a minute, I took a puff and started smoking again! Took me another year to quit for good! And I wasn’t even as addicted as many people are.
Avoid all of your triggers, and do as many of the things that you can’t do while smoking. I could not drink sodas for a long time while I was quitting. Many people can’t go to bars or drink alcohol. I never smoked in the bathtub so I took a lot of long baths when I was quitting (also helps get the nicotine out of your skin). I drank milk, a beverage that does not go well with smoking. Caffeine and nicotine go so well together! Try not to drink coffee while you are quitting, it will make the craving so much more intense. I never smoked while I was walking so I would walk a lot too.
My sister just used Chantix and stopped smoking for 3 mos. But when she had to stop taking the pill she started smoking again.
I think it’s very important to be in smoke-free environments only - if you live with other smokers, you are going to have a hard time quitting. You can do it, but you will still have the after-effects of being around the smoke, which eventually gets too difficult (the smell, the damage to your lungs, throat, etc.).