Raising Children and "cultish" beliefs

  • Thread starter Thread starter aggiecatholic85
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aggiecatholic85

Guest
While growing up, my parents ascribed to the “prophecies” of Dr. Mary Jane Even. For those unfamiliar with her, there’s a lot of stuff on Google. Basically, she says that God told her about all this Apocalyptic stuff, how to prepare for the “End Times,” that there will be a great battle between Satan and God and that there will be a 1000 year “Reign of Peace” before the final judgement, where Christ will rule on earth. Sub-beliefs included believing JPII’s death to be “fake” and that he is hiding underground and also followers would receive a phone call from Dr. Even when the end of the world was nigh. For those curious, it was supposed to be on Ash Wednesday of 2009. Oops!

I had sincere doubts about this as a child. I always questioned and fought these “teachings” because they made zero logical sense. Needless to say, once I left for college, I burned everything I had been given about these “messages” and “prophecies.”

While the big end of the world showdown didn’t happen in 2009, my parents still cling partially to this belief. I have respectfully asked them not to discuss anything about it with me and they have been respectful of that wish. Even though I have younger siblings who still live at home, I have found that they doubt the authenticity of these “prophecies” as well. (A great relief on my part). I live near my parents, and I take my children (2 year old and 8 month old) over there every week to visit.

My parents have a strict prayer schedule and daily pray the rosary together. I am always invited to participate, which I do. However, there is something that they pray for that disturbs me. At the end of every prayer, they pray for God to bring their family into the “Reign of Peace” and to sustain them during “These End Times.” It’s most definitely related to their persistent belief in these “messages.” My children have the attention span of a goldfish and maybe last kneeling through one “Hail Mary” so I highly doubt they hear that prayer. But it still bothers me. My personal research has shown this to be a heretical belief related to “Millennialism.” I have tried to approach my parents with this, only to be shot down over the last few years. I have given up trying to persuade them.

My question is…am I exposing my children to an anti-Catholic belief? I don’t want to have to explain this “Reign of Peace” and “End Times” to my children in the future. Should I just decline to pray with my family? :confused:
 
Would it be possible for you to provide the exact wording of this prayer? It may be that it can be subject to an orthodox interpretation, even if your parents mean it in a more problematic way. Certainly the eternal reign of God after the Second Coming could be called a “reign of peace”, and there’s a real sense in which we have been living in the End Times ever since the death and resurrection of Christ. If the prayer contains nothing more specific or problematic than this I wouldn’t worry about your children hearing it as long as your parents don’t try to indoctrinate them into their specific interpretations.
 
Would it be possible for you to provide the exact wording of this prayer? It may be that it can be subject to an orthodox interpretation, even if your parents mean it in a more problematic way. Certainly the eternal reign of God after the Second Coming could be called a “reign of peace”, and there’s a real sense in which we have been living in the End Times ever since the death and resurrection of Christ. If the prayer contains nothing more specific or problematic than this I wouldn’t worry about your children hearing it as long as your parents don’t try to indoctrinate them into their specific interpretations.
I agree with this. Even if your parents are talking about some specific heretical theological notions with these phrases, you can indentify them differently for your children. Peace will reign in heaven, and we’re always living knowing that our end can come at any moment.

Just make sure that you are the one to explain it to them when questions arise.

Of course, I don’t really have enough info to tell you what would be the best response, but having your children pray the rosary with both parents and grandparents together is not something I would want to give up unless it was truly confusing and causing problems. It seems like a wonderful witness. However, if you think that, down the road, your kids might begin to associate authentic Catholic teaching with those “cultish” beliefs, then that might be a reason to stop doing it.
 
I agree with the above posters. Based on what you have shared I don’t think it will be a big problem for you children…or for you for that matter…so long as you are holding to a more proper understanding when you say it.

Another question from you children might be, “why do grandma and grandpa say the rosary differently”? This too can be simply answered. “The rosary is a private devotion and sometimes people add little prayers that they like”.

Peace
James
 
I agree with the above posters. Based on what you have shared I don’t think it will be a big problem for you children…or for you for that matter…so long as you are holding to a more proper understanding when you say it.

Another question from you children might be, “why do grandma and grandpa say the rosary differently”? This too can be simply answered. “The rosary is a private devotion and sometimes people add little prayers that they like”.

Peace
James
That’s good. My kids are 3 and 5 and I’ve been learning that simple explanations are usually better than longer ones. There’s no sense in me introducing to them ideas that their grandparents are less than perfect.
 
That’s good. My kids are 3 and 5 and I’ve been learning that simple explanations are usually better than longer ones. There’s no sense in me introducing to them ideas that their grandparents are less than perfect.
👍👍

As always it is important that parents make their answers “age appropriate”.

Peace
James
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top