Rapture Trap by Paul Thigpen...Must read

  • Thread starter Thread starter Boxerdog
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Boxerdog

Guest
I just got back from my honeymoon and I took Rapture Trap by Paul Thigpen and I must that that this is a must read. Not only does it address the bad theology of the Rapture, but it provides a great overview of the Catholic plan of salvation and somewhat an overview of “Catholic Theology” with regards to the how we should live our lives for christ now, instead of waiting for the end of the world.
I would say that this book should be put up with all of the standard catholic apologetic books and owned by anyone who would like a Catholic answer to end times.
 
“Will Catholics be ‘Left Behind’?” by Carl E. Olson is a great book as well. He explores the Left Behind books themselves, the author themselves as well as major historical figures in the movement. He also gives an overview on what the Church teaches about the Second Coming.
 
“Will Catholics be ‘Left Behind’?” by Carl E. Olson is a great book as well. He explores the Left Behind books themselves, the author themselves as well as major historical figures in the movement. He also gives an overview on what the Church teaches about the Second Coming.
“The Rapture Trap” is a lovely appetiezer. Since it is a small bite of reading - it is not intimidating and also a good one for passing along to others.

The Olson book mentioned above and David Currie’s “Rapture: The End Times Myth that Leaves the Bible Behind” are full course meals. Add these to your library.
 
“The Rapture Trap” is a lovely appetiezer. Since it is a small bite of reading - it is not intimidating and also a good one for passing along to others.

The Olson book mentioned above and David Currie’s “Rapture: The End Times Myth that Leaves the Bible Behind” are full course meals. Add these to your library.
I would actually say that Olson and Currie are better reads than Thigpen. I liked all three though. Another couple great books on the Book of Revelation are “Lamb’s Supper” and “Coming Soon” by Michael Barber. Each offers a little bit different of a look at what this controversial book has to offer.
 
I would actually say that Olson and Currie are better reads than Thigpen. I liked all three though. Another couple great books on the Book of Revelation are “Lamb’s Supper” and “Coming Soon” by Michael Barber. Each offers a little bit different of a look at what this controversial book has to offer.
The Book of Revelation and the errors of Dispensationalism are really two different subjects. “The Lamb’s Supper” and “Coming Soon” are studies of the Book of Revelation, while the books by Currie, Olsen, Thigpen, etc, are excellent books about the errors of the “Left Behind” theology.

Having spent a considerable amount of time studying both topics, from a Catholic perspective, I think each should be treated on it’s own merits primarily, and only afterwards how they relate to the other. The Book of Revelation especially has so much to offer, it is a shame to think of it only in terms of how it has been distorted. I say study that first, and then you can more easily see how it has been hijacked by bad theology.

(Having said that, Currie’s book has a superlative section on the Book of Revelation that is a must read for Catholic students of this book of the Bible.)
 
yeah, well, what I’m waiting to see is something that really addresses the unanswered questions that the apocalypse is really about:

What will happen to all the intermediate religious categories between the full light of Catholicism, and the total darkness of secular messianism? That is, will Christians be reunited to any degree at all? And, given that degree, will the faith ever be restored before the times of the end, or is the modern secular apostasy already the beginning of the great apostasy?

What will the fullness of Gentiles be from a qualitative perspective? Will there always be significant evil, as the Augustinians believe, or are the Marian Catholics who carefully examine the totality of fully approved mystics more correct in believing that the current apostasy will be healed, if necessary through a chastisment, and the Catholic Gospel accepted by the near totality of humanity in a great Age of Peace before the great apostasy.

As far as I know, the persons above that all have mentioned don’t seem to delve into these questions to any significant extent.

I’m almost tempted to write my own book, seeing as nobody even tries to explore these questions, which would clearly be the true ‘apocalyptic questions’.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top