J
jjb5985
Guest
Here is something I’ve had trouble with. Many people bring up the issue of free will in relation to Gods’ omnipresence and omnipotence, meaning that if God created everything with the knowledge of how it all would turn out, we don’t have free will. We are just going along according to God’s plan. Now, I know the various arguements against this, however, I realized the difficulty explaining this comes even without factoring God into the equation.
Let me explain. Even if we take God out of it, if a person with a set genetic code is put into a certain enviornment, will their actions be a result of simply the interaction between their genes and environment? If you took 20 people with the exact same genes and managed to raise them all in the exact same environment with the exact same experiences (purely hypothetical), would they all basically turn out the same and make the same exact decisions? If not, what would cause the difference?
This has nothing to do with how God fits in as I am wondering about how to explain the very concept of having a free will. It seems as though I intuitively believe in free will, but its hard to logically explain it. I feel like it may just be beyond what I can comprehend, but saying we can’t understand it is often seen as a cop out by those looking for answers.
Anyone have a good explanation or source of explanation?
Let me explain. Even if we take God out of it, if a person with a set genetic code is put into a certain enviornment, will their actions be a result of simply the interaction between their genes and environment? If you took 20 people with the exact same genes and managed to raise them all in the exact same environment with the exact same experiences (purely hypothetical), would they all basically turn out the same and make the same exact decisions? If not, what would cause the difference?
This has nothing to do with how God fits in as I am wondering about how to explain the very concept of having a free will. It seems as though I intuitively believe in free will, but its hard to logically explain it. I feel like it may just be beyond what I can comprehend, but saying we can’t understand it is often seen as a cop out by those looking for answers.
Anyone have a good explanation or source of explanation?