M
marci
Guest
Was the Rite done differently before Vatican II?
Can things still be done this way if one finds a priest that is willing?Before Vatican II, before being baptized and brought into full communion with the church, there would be private instruction for about 6 weeks prior to the baptism and then a private bapitsm with close family and friends. It did not involve the whole community as it did in the very early church and as it does now.
Before Vatican II , as in the early centuries of the Church?Was the Rite done differently before Vatican II?
If it was 1950 and someone wanted to convert, how would it have been done?Before Vatican II , as in the early centuries of the Church?![]()
Usually through private instructions with the Pastor, if Thomas Merton’s story of his conversion in SEVEN STORY MOUNTAIN is any indication.If it was 1950 and someone wanted to convert, how would it have been done?
I know that for baptized Christians yes! Though most still go through the RCIA process, RCIA is only required for non-baptized Christians. Again, though, most people go through RCIA (my girlfriend’s father did not. He had meetings with the parish priest instead).Can things still be done this way if one finds a priest that is willing?
It was entirely up to the priest, back then. Some priests ran what were called “Inquirers’ Classes” which typically followed a 24-week curriculum based on the Baltimore Catechism, followed by First Confession and Conditional Baptism. The newly baptized would then receive First Holy Communion at the following Sunday Mass, and Confirmation at the next appearance of the Bishop at that parish, along with the children.If it was 1950 and someone wanted to convert, how would it have been done?
Thanks. I am asking because my husband (baptised) is willing to convert, but he wants to do things privately. Not necessarily the study, but he doesn’t want to have attention called to himself during the Mass. He is somewhat shy, particularly in front of a large crowd.I know that for baptized Christians yes! Though most still go through the RCIA process, RCIA is only required for non-baptized Christians. Again, though, most people go through RCIA (my girlfriend’s father did not. He had meetings with the parish priest instead).
Here’s a link to the textWas the Rite done differently before Vatican II?
FrDavid’s link brings up another point: the EF. As is the case with the Missal, I believe a priest may use the “old” Ritual. Whether or not you are interested in the EF I don’t know, but it does remain an option.Thanks. I am asking because my husband (baptised) is willing to convert, but he wants to do things privately. Not necessarily the study, but he doesn’t want to have attention called to himself during the Mass. He is somewhat shy, particularly in front of a large crowd.
I know of a priest who would allow him to do this privately, but on another forum there was a discusion about valid RCIA Rites and there was a question about if the conversion would be valid.
Thanks FrDavid. That was beautiful.
Marci,Thanks. I am asking because my husband (baptised) is willing to convert, but he wants to do things privately. Not necessarily the study, but he doesn’t want to have attention called to himself during the Mass. He is somewhat shy, particularly in front of a large crowd.
I know of a priest who would allow him to do this privately, but on another forum there was a discusion about valid RCIA Rites and there was a question about if the conversion would be valid.
I’m not sure if the EF for reception of converts can be used or not. The Holy Father did say in article 9 that “ordinaries” can use the EF for Confirmation, but I’m not so sure that extends to presbyters receiving converts.FrDavid’s link brings up another point: the EF. As is the case with the Missal, I believe a priest may use the “old” Ritual. Whether or not you are interested in the EF I don’t know, but it does remain an option.
I hope you knew I was just kidding around.If it was 1950 and someone wanted to convert, how would it have been done?
The mention of “ordinaries” seems to me to be perfectly normal and unremarkable, since the ordinary minister of confirmation in the Roman Rite is the local Ordinary (or his legate).I’m not sure if the EF for reception of converts can be used or not. The Holy Father did say in article 9 that “ordinaries” can use the EF for Confirmation, but I’m not so sure that extends to presbyters receiving converts.
I posted the link only in a direct response to the question. I’m not certain one way or the other if it could still be used, although I lean toward the negative.
Yes, he is. We no longer attend this parish because we moved about 45 miles away, but it’s the parish I grew up in and my children were all baptized there. Although we no longer attend, my parents still do and our family is still very close to him. He is Columbian and a very Holy priest, we love him to pieces! He gives the best homilies ever!Marci,
There is really no such thing as “valid or invalid” RCIA rites. The sacraments themselves (Baptism, Confirmation, Eucharist) have to be valid, of course, but the entire RCIA program itself is a tool for the pastor (first, bishop as pastor of the diocese, and secondly parish pastor) to use. Pastors are free (and strongly encouraged) to make use of it, but aren’t strictly required to do so. Please don’t read too much into that. My point here is that the RCIA itself can be adapted by your pastor to suit the particular needs of your husband–but you’ll have to talk directly to the pastor about this. I suggest not going to an RCIA director or DRE or other person, but to the pastor directly.
Is the priest you know a parish pastor? If so, that helps.
First of all, you should speak with your own pastor. If he’s unwilling to make reasonable accomodations for your husband, I’ll give you the rest of the information. Right now, I’m holding it back because you should first speak to your pastor. Again, not DRE, not RCIA director or anyone else, but the pastor.Yes, he is. We no longer attend this parish because we moved about 45 miles away, but it’s the parish I grew up in and my children were all baptized there. Although we no longer attend, my parents still do and our family is still very close to him. He is Columbian and a very Holy priest, we love him to pieces! He gives the best homilies ever!
I appriciate all of your help, but he would NEVER make that exception. It is a large parish and fairly modern. Basically if it’s not done with “the community” then it’s not done. We are trying to find another parish, but they are all pretty much the same where we live. There is a parish in town that offers a weekly Latin Mass which I want to start going to, but I thought that would be more difficult for him to ease into.First of all, you should speak with your own pastor. If he’s unwilling to make reasonable accomodations for your husband, I’ll give you the rest of the information. Right now, I’m holding it back because you should first speak to your pastor. Again, not DRE, not RCIA director or anyone else, but the pastor.