RCIA for converts?

• Thread starter Thread starter cabrouss
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cabrouss

I am converting to Catholicism and my parish has told me to take the RCIA classes in the fall and come into the church at Easter. Yet, an article on the Catholic Answers site says that this is not the way it should be done? Should I meet with my priest?

RCIA stands for “Rite of Christian Intiation of Adults”.

The rite includes the celebration of the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, and the Eucharist. It also has rites that are proper for the catechumenate.
A catechumen is one who is receiving formal instruction in the Catholic faith, culminating in reception into the Church and the reception of the sacraments of initiation: Baptism, Confirmation, the Eucharist.

If you have already been validly baptized in a non-Catholic faith community, then properly speaking, RCIA is not exactly where you should be. But many parishes call their education program for both non-Catholic Christians and those not yet baptized as “RCIA classes”. Both groups are catechized side by side, but only the catechumens actually go through the Rites of Christian Initiation. So, yes, I think it would be a good idea to discuss this with your pastor and see what he has in mind for you, but it is OK to go to classes with catechumens. You will probably know more about basic Christianity then they do, but you all also need to learn about specific Catholic teachings, which you can do together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back