RCIA Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter mikeanayaus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikeanayaus

Guest
I’ve heard that when an unbaptized adult in RCIA is baptized they must be immediately followed by Confirmation and Holy Communion. Does that also apply to candidates, for example, must they be confirmed at the same time they are allowed to receive communion?
 
At our church, and I assume they are all similar, at the Easter Vigil Mass the candidates all get up. Those that need to be baptized are, then all are confirmed. Then the take communion.
 
I’ve heard that when an unbaptized adult in RCIA is baptized they must be immediately followed by Confirmation and Holy Communion. Does that also apply to candidates, for example, must they be confirmed at the same time they are allowed to receive communion?
Yes that is correct. An adult (anyone over the age of Reason , about 7 years of age) Must be Confirmed and receive the Holy Eicharist at the time of their Baptism.

However the Law does not specify that a person Baptized Catholic, but who never received Reconciliation, First Holy Communion or Confirmation must receive both of the remaining Sacraments of Initiation at the same time. I’m not sure of the exact wording of the RCIA in regard to Candidates. I would guess that they should be Confirmed and receive Holy Communion at the time of their profession and Reception, unless there is some serious reason to separaqte the Sacraments.
 
Thanks. I’m asking because I’m a candidate in RCIA and I was told that I would receive first Holy Communion tomorrrow and be confirmed at the Easter Vigil with the catechumens, but I just want to make sure that it’s allowed because I don’t want to commit sacrilege. :eek:
 
Thanks. I’m asking because I’m a candidate in RCIA and I was told that I would receive first Holy Communion tomorrrow and be confirmed at the Easter Vigil with the catechumens, but I just want to make sure that it’s allowed because I don’t want to commit sacrilege. :eek:
the candidates may certainly receive their first communion as soon as they are ready (and of course, have had the opportunity to confess all the sins of their past life and receive absolution), but Confirmation must wait for the time set by the bishop. If the bishop has granted the faculty to priests to confirm non-Catholic Christians at the Easter vigil, it may happen at that time. In some dioceses the bishop reserves confirmation to himself, performed at a diocesan celebration at some time, usually after Easter, or at the time he visits the parish to confirm Catholic teens and adults. You are quite right to ask about the distinctions between the unbaptized and the baptized, things are not always done the same way, and there are good reasons for that. Also to clarify the candidate is not the only one who determines when he is “ready” for first communion, that judgement is made in conjunction with his RCIA catechists, director, and pastoral team.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top