P
pro_multis
Guest
At novus ordo churches, if a person decides during the summer that he wants to become catholic, is he generally required to go through RCIA and receive the sacraments at the next easter vigil?
In Catholic parishes RCIA is the normal way someone pursues baptism. According to the rite, the catechumenate should last at least a year. Thus if someone starts during the summer, they would be baptized at their second Easter Vigil. Unfortunately many parishes cut the catechumenate short.At novus ordo churches, if a person decides during the summer that he wants to become catholic, is he generally required to go through RCIA and receive the sacraments at the next easter vigil?
At any Catholic Church united to the Holy See:At novus ordo churches, if a person decides during the summer that he wants to become catholic, is he generally required to go through RCIA and receive the sacraments at the next easter vigil?
Brother, I thought that RCIA was particularly Latin, no?At any Catholic Church united to the Holy See:
I guess I just do not understand why the church would want to withhold the sacrament of baptism from a believer for such a long time. What happens if the person dies unbaptized during that year?At any Catholic Church united to the Holy See:
If a person decides during the summer that he wants to become Catholic and are NOT BAPTIZED, they would enter a period of Inquiry, then a year in the Catechumenate, and be Baptized the during the following Easter vigil, after completing the year in the Catechumenate.
If a person decides during the summer that he wants to become Catholic and they are validly BAPTIZED, they would also enter a period of Inquiry, then receive catechesis as a Candidate for several months to a year, and be Confirmed and receive Holy Communion sometime during the following year. They should not be received at the Easter vigil but at some other time.
NoBrother, I thought that RCIA was particularly Latin, no?
Because the Church wants to make sure the believer is making an informed decision to be baptized into the Church. If the person dies before they can be baptized, the Church teaches that they may go to Heaven because they desired baptism.I guess I just do not understand why the church would want to withhold the sacrament of baptism from a believer for such a long time. What happens if the person dies unbaptized during that year?
Once the person is a Catechumen, if they die suddenly and it is not possible for someone to Baptize them under emergency conditions or for the priest to Baptize and Confirm them under emergency conditions. They are still given full Christian burial rites. Because they professed their desire for Baptism during the Rite of Acceptance.I guess I just do not understand why the church would want to withhold the sacrament of baptism from a believer for such a long time. What happens if the person dies unbaptized during that year?
When I first started RCIA the first few months I felt like I already knew what we were about to learn (because I had been studying different beliefs on my own for 4 years), however, even in the studying of the Catechism I realized that I still had much to learn.It is possible that a baptized Christian who wishes to join the Catholic Church might not follow the standard RCIA track., This would probably have to be a person who is already very knowledgeable about Catholicism.
But such a person is going to be an exception. And not all parishes are prepared to deal with exceptional people.
there are no such thing as “novus ordo churches”. there is one holy catholic apostolic Church with the Pope as her head on earth. The norm in the Catholic Church for reception of unbaptized adults (anyone over the age of reason) is the RCIA. the RCIA expects a formal baptismal catechumenate, after an period of inquiry and initial evangelization, of not less than one liturgical year.At novus ordo churches, if a person decides during the summer that he wants to become catholic, is he generally required to go through RCIA and receive the sacraments at the next easter vigil?
the would be catechumens and enjoy the same privileges and conditions as catechumens have enjoyed for 2000 years, and be considered to have desired baptism should they die before the sacraments. If you want to learn more about RCIA, join with us in those discussions on the evangelization forum. If you would like to know more about the sacraments of initiation themselves, baptism specifically, this is your forum. You may find many of your questions have already been discussed and this could save you a lot of time in your research.I guess I just do not understand why the church would want to withhold the sacrament of baptism from a believer for such a long time. What happens if the person dies unbaptized during that year?
Agreed.there are no such thing as “novus ordo churches”.
In my experience, limited I admit, the catechumenate, (more correctly the periods of pre-catechumenate/inquiry, catechumenate, purification and enlightenment, and mystagogy), but not the RCIA, is part of the Latin Church and ECCs, as well as the Orthodox. This happened to come up today in a class I’m in, taught by a EC priest with mainly Latin Church students. He was not comfortable with using “RCIA” to talk about the the periods of pre-catechumenate, catechumenate, purification and enlightenment, and mystagogy in the East. I observe also that the Rites described in the Rites book of RCIA are connected to the Roman Missal.Brother, I thought that RCIA was particularly Latin, no?
Br. Rich SFO;6286337:
There may very well be different terms used. I do know of one Byzantine parish that does use RCIA and calls it that.Br. Rich-
In my experience, limited I admit, the catechumenate, (more correctly the periods of pre-catechumenate/inquiry, catechumenate, purification and enlightenment, and mystagogy), but not the RCIA, is part of the Latin Church and ECCs, as well as the Orthodox. This happened to come up today in a class I’m in, taught by a EC priest with mainly Latin Church students. He was not comfortable with using “RCIA” to talk about the the periods of pre-catechumenate, catechumenate, purification and enlightenment, and mystagogy in the East. I observe also that the Rites described in the Rites book of RCIA are connected to the Roman Missal.
Pax et bonum- Mary
That doesn’t surprise me. It would need a number of adaptations for the Rites based on the Roman Missal, and the differences in the readings we have etc…There may very well be different terms used. I do know of one Byzantine parish that does use RCIA and calls it that.