Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place…I’m new and still learning the ropes.
I have attended Mass a few times and I really would like to become part of the Catholic church. I know that I have to go through RCIA classes, but I was wondering what can I expect, what things will I be learning about, etc.
Thanks for the help.
Welcome!
I have been a team member of my Church’s RCIA for a long time - and I have been a sponsor a few times. I, myself, came into the Church in 1983 via RCIA. So - I hope I can help you with a few things.
RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) is indeed patterned after the way the early Church indoctrinated new members to the Faith. Each parish may have its own unique way of accomplishing this, however, so I would encourage you to speak to someone at your local Parish. Someone who is in charge of that Parish’s RCIA will be better able to answer specific questions about how your Parish handles it.
However, the overall format is much the same as it is a regulated process. Some Parishes have the people and resources to operate their program all year long. That means that if a person is asking questions, he/she will be able to enter into an appropriate program immediately. But, many Parishes (such as mine), do not have that many volunteers, or even persons who are enquiring, to operate all year long. Thus, some programs are operated from around August or September through the Easter Vigil and then the 40 days after Easter. The last session usually is near Pentecost.
RCIA usually meets weekly during those months. The sessions (please - they are not “classes”) usually run between one and two hours long. The beginning period is the time to gain general knowledge of What and Who the Catholic Church is and believes. You will be able to ask questions, but the session usually have some sort of format to offer general knowledge. You are called an “Enquirer” in Church language, as you check out what we Catholics are and how we worship.
If you feel ready and that you wish to proceed, and your sponsor feels you are ready - The Sunday before Advent begins, is a ceremony in the Church called the “Rite of Acceptance”. This is when you state you do have the intention of pursuing Baptism (or if you are already Baptized - Confirmation into the Catholic Church). You “accept” us and we (the Church) “accept” you as a new Catechumenate (a person seeking Baptism in the CC) or a Candidate (already Baptized in another Christian faith, now wishing to become Catholic - we do not “re-Baptize”). Now you enter into more serious sessions in RCIA and will learn more about the Faith in depth - why we believe the things we believe, what is doctrine, etc. During this time you will learn much more about how Mass is held, how to pray, who God, the Holy Spirit and Who Jesus is. You will learn about Saints, Holy Days, history of the Church, how to read the Bible, what all those “Catholic” things are like Rosaries, incense and so on, what we believe about the Eucharist, and much more. gain, each session usually has a theme or topic of the night. Many times there will be special speakers, too. And again - you are always allowed to ask any questions you may have.
The Sunday before Lent begins, your Parish will hold the Rite of Sending (usually held on a Saturday evening Mass). This is a ceremony in which the Parish priest blesses you and you are “sent” to the diocese Bishop for formal acceptance as a new Catholic at Easter. In essence, the priest AND the entire Parish is saying you are ready to join us. The Bishop will then preside over the Rite of Election (usually held the next day, Sunday, at a Parish of his choosing - usually must be a big Parish Church due to the fact that ALL Catechumens and Candidates of the Diocese come together for the only time of their education!) You are now all called “The Elect” - as you have elected to join the Church.
Now you will enter into a formal time of intense prayer and formation to ready yourself for Baptism an/or Confirmation and First Eucharist on Easter Vigil. Your sessions at RCIA will now focus deeply on personal preparation to meet Jesus in the Sacraments. You usually learn more about the Sacraments during those sessions - more than just general information. You will learn how to pray more deeply and intensely.
Easter Vigil is held the evening before Easter Sunday. The Mass begins at sundown. Any Elect who is unbaptized will receive the Sacrament of Baptism then, and all will receive Confirmation and First Holy Eucharist. Now you are a full member of the Catholic Church! RCIA usually continues weekly until Pentecost - this time is called “Mystagogia”. During those sessions you will usually learn more about how to live out your life as a Catholic. You will learn about Catholic organizations and how your Parish operates in the “real world”. You may learn more about missions around the world. These sessions are varied and will be different from Parish to Parish. My Parish has several speakers at the sessions who describe how they live as Catholics and what they do to keep their faith strong.
(continued)