Read Catholic Bible in a Year

  • Thread starter Thread starter LPS
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LPS

Guest
I have found many “read the Bible in a year” plans to read online for the protestant Bible, but haven’t found one that is easy to use and clickable for the Catholic Bible.

I decided to create my own, and would appreciate feedback from anyone who wants to take a moment to look at it. I’ve only gotten as far as week 13 but hesitate to go further until I have a few critiques.

I wanted it to be set up so anyone can start any time (not just Jan. 1) and if they fall behind, it is easy to pick up again where they left off. I’ve explained a little more on the homepage … you will find it here .

Thank you for taking a look! 👍
 
Nice! Thanks for doing that :aok:

Would it be o.k. with CA if you posted the link each day to the Scripture Readings - as a daily reminder to us & new members?

P.S. Which Bible are you using?
 
Thanks for posting this! I put it in my bookmarks. Going by this does mean that I restart in the NT (I’ve been reading the Gospels primarily, but not as much as I would have liked), but as I am only in Mark, I suppose I could give your method a try :).

I’ll however be using my belovéd Ignatius Bible (I was raised with the KJV, so the RSV-2CE is very appealing to me) instead of the Douai-Rheims.
 
Nice! Thanks for doing that :aok:

Would it be o.k. with CA if you posted the link each day to the Scripture Readings - as a daily reminder to us & new members?

P.S. Which Bible are you using?
I’m new here - who is CA? I will give some thought and prayer to posting a daily link here; I don’t want to commit to it and then be unable to keep up, but it would be worthwhile if it encouraged others to read every day!

Since the links go to Bible Gateway, I had to use the Douey-Rhimes; that is the only version they have that includes the deutercanonicals.
 
Thanks for posting this! I put it in my bookmarks. Going by this does mean that I restart in the NT (I’ve been reading the Gospels primarily, but not as much as I would have liked), but as I am only in Mark, I suppose I could give your method a try :).

I’ll however be using my belovéd Ignatius Bible (I was raised with the KJV, so the RSV-2CE is very appealing to me) instead of the Douai-Rheims.
Thank you! Please let me know if you see ways I can improve how it works as you read along. I’d actually like to find a 2-year schedule to use, too.
 
I wanted it to be set up so anyone can start any time (not just Jan. 1) and if they fall behind, it is easy to pick up again where they left off. I’ve explained a little more on the homepage … you will find it here .

Thank you for taking a look! 👍
Well done! (Or I guess Well Begun is more accurate 🙂 ) I really like being able to do it simply through a browser without a hard copy book. I really wish Gateway would include the NAB but doubt that will happen anytime soon.

I also really like the pdf checklist posted above and plan to give a nice copy of it to my daughter for Christmas. She’s just beginning move from her old Children’s Bible and I think this could help reenforce the love of Scripture that the Holy Spirit has already blessed her with.

Your work is a blessing… Inspired and well done… Keep up the great works!

God bless
 
Thank you! That is the plan that I am using. I just wanted something to click and have the readings online instead of a paper checklist. 🙂
It was rude of me but I forgot to mention that your site that you set up is a great idea. I got distracted as I was posting. That took a lot of work!! Thank you for sharing it with us 😃
 
I have the hard copy of the “Read the Bible and the Catechism in a Year” by CHResources (the Marcus Grodi version mentioned above). Its chapter and verse numberings are based on the New American Bible (NAB) but I’m thinking of purchasing the RSV Second Catholic Edition. Will I have trouble using this chart with that Bible since the chapter and verse numberings don’t match? Obviously some parts won’t matter such as the number of chapters in Malachi and Joel (so I hear) since those books are read entirely in one sitting.

I’ve tried using this chart with the Orthodox Study Bible (which I love), but the discrepancy between the chart and that Bible was too great.
 
I think I can answer my own question based on today’s readings. The reading for Sirach chapter 24 stops at verse 31. Tomorrow picks up with chapter 25. My Bible and several others (including RSV CE online) have 34 verses in chapter 24. The NAB has only 31 verses apparently due to different internal divisions.

Since I don’t want to make the NAB my main daily reading Bible, I think I’ll just follow someone’s suggestion on this forum and divide up the number of pages in the OT and NT of my favorite Bible (OSB) into 365 divisions and find natural stopping points near the end of each day’s number of pages.

I had hoped I would be reading the same verses at the same time as a lot of other people in the world, (and we could all pat each other on the back in our imaginations on December 31) but I guess I’ll be content with reading the same verses as people who also counted and divided their pages for this particular translation. 🙂
 
I think I can answer my own question based on today’s readings. The reading for Sirach chapter 24 stops at verse 31. Tomorrow picks up with chapter 25. My Bible and several others (including RSV CE online) have 34 verses in chapter 24. The NAB has only 31 verses apparently due to different internal divisions.

Since I don’t want to make the NAB my main daily reading Bible, I think I’ll just follow someone’s suggestion on this forum and divide up the number of pages in the OT and NT of my favorite Bible (OSB) into 365 divisions and find natural stopping points near the end of each day’s number of pages.

I had hoped I would be reading the same verses at the same time as a lot of other people in the world, (and we could all pat each other on the back in our imaginations on December 31) but I guess I’ll be content with reading the same verses as people who also counted and divided their pages for this particular translation. 🙂
THANK YOU for taking time to come back and let me know - I will make adjustments on my web plan when I get to Sirach. I found a difference in Psalms as well - they are identical through only Psalm 10, and then are numbered differently.

I expect to find problems when I actually do the readings for myself and will fix them as I go; I don’t know a better way to accomplish this, I guess. I wish Bible Gateway had NAB, or that I had a reading plan specifically for D-R, but I’ll have to do the best I can with the tools I have.

Good luck on your readings in 2011 - I know it will be a huge blessing for you. Like I said, reading the Protestant Bible in a year this year has been for me - I just really long to read the entire Bible with the deuterocanonicals. I have liked having it divided so that there is a NT reading, an OT reading, and a wisdom book reading each day.

Thank you so much for the information!!! 👍
 
THANK YOU for taking time to come back and let me know - I will make adjustments on my web plan when I get to Sirach. I found a difference in Psalms as well - they are identical through only Psalm 10, and then are numbered differently.

I expect to find problems when I actually do the readings for myself and will fix them as I go; I don’t know a better way to accomplish this, I guess. I wish Bible Gateway had NAB, or that I had a reading plan specifically for D-R, but I’ll have to do the best I can with the tools I have.
I’ve been using the reading plan from the Coming Home Newtwork with a Jerusalem Bible and I haven’t had any problems. I think there have been a few differences with the verse numbering but nothing major. I doubt it would be hard to use with a RSV-CE either.

The differences in the Psalms is not the fault of the reading plan. It’s because you’re using the Douai-Rheims translation. That translation uses the Greek numbering of the Psalms (because it’s based on the Vulgate, which uses the Greek numbering of the Psalms). On the other hand most modern translations like the NAB use the Hebrew numbering, which for much of the Book of Psalms is different by one.

Ps. Here’s a note from the NAB on why Hebrew 9 and 10 are Vulgate Psalm 9
Pss 9 and 10 in the Hebrew text have been transmitted as seperate poems but they actually form a single acrostic poem and are so transmitted in the Greek and Latin tradition. Each verse of the two psalms begins with a succesive letter of the Hebrew alphabet (though several letters have no corresponding stanza). The psalm states loosely connected themes…
Also, the Latin Rite traditionally uses the psalm numbering from the Vulgate (which makes sense) so in old missals you will see the Vulgate numbering for psalms. “Have mercy on me God, in your goodness…” would be labelled Psalm 50, for instance.
 
I came up with a yearly plan for every morning and evening with the exception of Sunday mornings when I concentrate on the Sunday lectionary readings.

I counted the pages in each section of the Bible and divided them in to 313 parts for 6 mornings a week and 365 parts for 7 evenings a week. I did this with the Orthodox Study Bible, so the figures will be a little different from other Bibles (this Bible has a few extra books: 3 Maccabees and another Ezra).

The Psalms are in their own slot so I can spread them out over a year or go through them all once a month (my preference).

The Poetical books, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs (Canticles) Wisdom of Solomon, and Ecclesiasticus (Sirach), are more dense and need to be consumed in smaller portions, so I treated them separately. (I put Job and Lamentations in the Old Testament slot).

I will need to keep an eye out for natural breaks for stopping points, and I’ve added plus signs if I need to read a little more to stay on schedule. I use book ribbons plus those little sticky memo thingies to mark where I stopped.

I put the shorter readings in the morning since I need to keep an eye on the clock and not be late for work!

Weekdays:
Code:
Morning
Poetical books: ½+ page
New Testament: 1 ½+ pages

Evening
Psalms: ¼+ page
Old Testament: 2 ¾ pages
Sundays:
Code:
Morning
Church lectionary readings

Evening
Psalms: ¼+ page
Old Testament: 2 ¾ pages
I’ve been consuming the Bible daily for over 40 years with few misses, and have read it from cover to cover many times. But this is the first time I’ve tried a page count method! I think it might just work…
 
I’ve been consuming the Bible daily for over 40 years with few misses, and have read it from cover to cover many times. But this is the first time I’ve tried a page count method! I think it might just work…
Now you have me pondering … will you let me know (after you’ve gotten into it) how well it is working for you?

After I complete this web page, I might work on something like that for a 2-year reading plan, and perhaps for the NAB.

I LOVE having a guide to read the Bible through, but there is a lot to read each day and I think spreading it out over two years would break it down a little more, give me more time to pray as I go.
 
For anyone who would like, I created a Social Group for motivating ourselves - here is a link to it:

READ THE BIBLE AND CATECHISM IN A YEAR Motivational and Sharing Group

forums.catholic-questions.org/group.php?groupid=775

Join in!

It doesn’t matter if you plan to do it in 2 years if that works better for you, or what kind of system you use, or if you prefer only to read the Bible at this time and not add the Catechism in just yet.

Mainly it’s a place to share our challenges in staying motivated, and our insights on what we read! Welcome! 👋 :bible1:
 
We all seem to have less time to do what we want, so a 2 year plan is also a great idea. I personally would feel a bit anxious at the end of the year if I were only half way through, though.

I’ll post again after I’ve been at this plan for a while. So far, after a few days, it has worked well. I anticipate it won’t feel like the ideal plan at the end of the year when each section ends at a different time, and it ends with a whimper – or in panic mode if I’m far behind schedule (I was never very reliable at calculating).

My idea of the perfect plan is a daily set of readings used by many Christians, one that takes you through the entire Bible without omitting any verses, and is pretty consistent in daily volume. So READ THE BIBLE AND CATECHISM IN A YEAR comes very close, and the Motivational and Sharing Group is a great idea that makes that reading plan very attractive! I’ll go over there and see what I can learn.

My goal is to stick to one plan for the entire year and not switch back and forth as I did this past year (I tried the Episcopal lectionary from old and new prayer books, McCheyne’s reading plan, The Orthodox Study Bible reading plan, READ THE BIBLE AND CATECHISM IN A YEAR, plus a few of my own concoctions). I’ve got about 7 weeks left to try out my page volume idea and decide if it will remain my strategy for 2011.

The READ THE BIBLE AND CATECHISM IN A YEAR plan is still on the table. If anybody has gone through the entire plan with the RSV-2CE (A.K.A. Ignatius Bible) and recommends it to others, please chime in.
 
Also, I haven’t forgotten the original focus of this thread. Thanks for all the hard work in making this reading plan available online with links to the Douay-Rheims Bible. I need to take a serious look at the advantages of that translation. I hear it’s very accurate.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top