Read Catholic Bible in a Year

  • Thread starter Thread starter LPS
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Third post in a row from me! Then I’ll be quiet.

The page count plan I came up with looks like a good one, but I decided to go back to the “Bible and Catechism in a year” chart (the one which is the basis for the online plan that started this thread). My reasons are mainly because of this forum. The fact that a plan has a support group or at least other people talking about it is more attractive than something done by myself in isolation.

I ordered the RSV-2CE to use with it. I’ll just note the differences in verse numbering from the NAB (when it affects the plan) so I’ll have a list of differences to share one year from now.
 
Ha! I’m glad you kept posting - I really appreciate your interest and encouragement! I’ve not read the Douay-Rheims Bible version so I’m looking forward to going through it - I like “hearing” passages anew.

I will be taking notes all year too and making corrections as I go - I appreciate any you send my way as you go through next year! 👍
 
My RSV-2CE arrived yesterday so I took a few minutes comparing it with the chart, to find differences in verse numbering. Since most readings are entire chapters, most of the chart is not affected.

There are only five readings where the RSV-2CE has a verse or two less than the chart (not a problem if you just stop when you run out of verses at the end of a chapter) two are in Psalms, and three in Sirach.

There are fourteen readings where the RSV-2CE has more verses than the chart, one in Dueteronomy, two in Proverbs, and the rest in Sirach. This only means that you should read to the end of the chapter if the chart has you stopping one or two verses short.

The only other mis-match I found was the book of Esther, which affects the entire book. The RSV-2CE inserts the Greek portions where they belong in the story. These extra portions had originally been assigned chapter numbers from the end of the book, so the sequence gets interesting:

11, 12, 1, 2, 3, 13, 4, 14, 15, 5, 6, 7, 8, 16, 9, 10, 10, 11.

The chart has you read chapters 1 through 10 over 4 days, but they are short chapters, so apparently it is just assumed you will read the extra chapters as you come across them. Anyway, the bumpy road will be smooth again after 4 days.

Apparently the New Testament numbering is the same as one might expect.

I might have missed other numbering discrepancies; it’s very possible!
 
I have a little more time now to list the actual passages (I was chased away from my computer last time by a family member). I also fixed a few mistakes I made above where I couldn’t read my own handwriting:

Where the RSV-2CE has less verses than the chart:

Day 19, Ps 18.13-51 (RSV-2CE is 18.13-50)
Day 89, Ps 89.19-53 (RSV-2CE is 89.19-52)
Day 295, Sir.13.14-27 (RSV-2CE is Sir.13.14-26)
Day 333, Sir. 33.16-33 (RSV-2CE is Sir. 33.16-31)
Day 338, Sir 36.15-27 (RSV-2CE is 36.15-26)
Day 351, Sir 43.13-35 (RSV-2CE is 43.13-33)

Where the RSV-2CE has more verses than the chart:

Day 100, Dt 28.47-29.28 (RSV-2CE is Dt 28.47-29.29)
Day 163, Prv 3.19-34 (RSV-2CE is Prv 3.19-35)
Day 164, Prv 4.1-18 (RSV-2CE is Prv 4.1-19)
Day 274, Sir 1.16-29 (RSV-2CE is Sir 1.16-30)
Day 278, Sir 3.17-30 (RSV-2CE is Sir 3.17-31)
Day 290, Sir 10.19-30 (RSV-2CE is Sir 10.19-31)
Day 295, Sir.13.14-25 (RSV-2CE is Sir.13.14-26)
Day 300, Sir. 16.15-28 (RSV-2CE is Sir. 16.15-30)
Day 302, Sir. 17.15-27 (RSV-2CE is Sir. 17.15-32)
Day 306, Sir. 19.18-26 (RSV-2CE is Sir. 19.18-30)
Day 308, Sir. 20.18-30 (RSV-2CE is Sir. 20.18-31)
Day 316, Sir. 24.18-31 (RSV-2CE is Sir. 24.18-34)
Day 318, Sir. 25.12-25 (RSV-2CE is Sir. 25.12-26)

Here are the Esther readings with extra chapters inserted (Sometimes required a judgement call)

Day 220 Esth A, 1-2 (RSV-2CE could be Esth 11, 12, 1, 2)
Day 221 Esth 3-C (RSV-2CE could be Esth 3, 13, 4, 14)
Day 222 Esth D-8 (RSV-2CE could be Esth 15, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Day 223 Esth 9-10 (RSV-2CE could be Esth 16, 9, 10, 10, 11)

I think if anyone makes a note of these in their chart, then there will be smooth sailing in the RSV-2CE with “Read the Bible and the Catechism in a Year”
 
The only other mis-match I found was the book of Esther, which affects the entire book. The RSV-2CE inserts the Greek portions where they belong in the story. These extra portions had originally been assigned chapter numbers from the end of the book, so the sequence gets interesting:

11, 12, 1, 2, 3, 13, 4, 14, 15, 5, 6, 7, 8, 16, 9, 10, 10, 11.

The chart has you read chapters 1 through 10 over 4 days, but they are short chapters, so apparently it is just assumed you will read the extra chapters as you come across them. Anyway, the bumpy road will be smooth again after 4 days.!
I’m at this point right now, and am looking at your next post.

Am I correct that you would recommend using the above sequence for reading Esther? Start with Chapter 11, etc?
 
oops … no go on Esther. Bible Gateway has chapters 1-10 available, so I’m going to have to just break it down with those. Rats! Maybe I’ll make a note on the web page that people following the plan might want to look at other Bible versions as well.
 
Well, that’s where Esther starts in the RSV-2CE. So my list is just an attempt to reconcile the chart with that translation. It looks like the problem doesn’t exist in the DR – I have not looked because I’m lazy (or sleepy).
 
Well, I checked the Douay-Rheims Bible online and found 16 chapters in Esther, so there will be speed bumps. I’m sure all the material matches, just the chapter numbers are different. It would seem that they smoothed out the numbers so they go from 1 to 16 rather than the confusing sequence I listed above.
 
I’m so excited to announce that the links are all complete, and the site is ready to go! I don’t really expect many … if any … to use it, I guess; but I will be reading it each day and am happy to have been given the opportunity to create the site. 🙂
 
Congrats! I have bookmarked it, and I’ll definitely go there regularly. It will help me to compare the daily readings in the Douay-Rheims Bible without going out and buying one.

I tried looking up the page on my Nintendo DS with Opera web browser and was surprised that I could read the daily passages that way (after clicking on the “Mobile-Friendly Page” button) That means that I can read the daily selections anywhere as long as I have my DS and am near a WIFI connection. It’s a possibility worth exploring!

Thanks for all your hard work!
 
I’m very excited to have found a CATHOLIC site that I can link to for each day’s readings!

veritasbible.com/ has invited me to use their site - it includes commentaries and other great features.

I’m really happy about that! I’ll be working to change all of the links, but it will take some time.

In the meantime, I won’t be doing any work that will interfere with its use - if you haven’t started yet but would like to, it’s designed so you can start any time of year, not just Jan. 1 👍
 
I hope it’s ok to bump this … I was just thinking about the beginning of Lent and thought someone may want to make a commitment to read the Bible as part of their Lenten devotions.

I’ve been following the plan and have really enjoyed the Douay-Rhimes version; I wasn’t sure that I would but I like the way I am hearing some things in a new way! :cool:
 
Hello all, I’m a teenager and I want to read the whole Bible. But studying and other activities are time consuming. Are there any Bible reading plans that could help me in a daily basis?
 
Hello all, I’m a teenager and I want to read the whole Bible. But studying and other activities are time consuming. Are there any Bible reading plans that could help me in a daily basis?
The plan given above— to read the Catholic Bible in a year— gives three readings a day of about a chapter each. You could print out the leaflet (PDF format) and decide to do at least 1 chapter a day— that’s less time consuming— and on days when you aren’t so busy you might do a bit more.

Doing just 1 chapter a day, in 3 years time you would have read the whole Bible, and that’s a major accomplishment.
 
Hello all, I’m a teenager and I want to read the whole Bible. But studying and other activities are time consuming. Are there any Bible reading plans that could help me in a daily basis?
Another option would be to visit this page each day. It will have the mass readings for that day - if you read today, you will recognize what you just heard at mass this weekend!

I think it would be meaningful for you, get you into the habit of reading scripture each day, and wouldn’t be a burdensome amount of reading, even when you are very busy.

I think it’s awesome that you have the desire and I will be praying for you! 👍
 
Another option would be to visit this page each day. It will have the mass readings for that day - if you read today, you will recognize what you just heard at mass this weekend!

I think it would be meaningful for you, get you into the habit of reading scripture each day, and wouldn’t be a burdensome amount of reading, even when you are very busy.

I think it’s awesome that you have the desire and I will be praying for you! 👍
Thank you, it’s really inspirational to know someone is praying for my journey through the Word of God.

I just have a question though: will I be able to read every single book in the Bible through mass reading? I’m asking it because I know Mass reading is often fragmented rather than thorough.
 
I just have a question though: will I be able to read every single book in the Bible through mass reading? I’m asking it because I know Mass reading is often fragmented rather than thorough.
I have heard that the 3-year daily reading cycle will cover the entire Bible.

However, I’m not sure if that is fact … for instance, there are some very long geneologies and census lists in the OT that I don’t recall hearing read at mass. So maybe every single word and things like those lists are not necessarily included, but the “meat” of each and every book is? Someone else will have to answer that question, I honestly don’t know.

I do know that if you are short on time, the daily mass readings are not terribly long and are a great way to discipline yourself and get into the habit of regular Bible reading. Then, when you are able, you could take on a “read the Bible in a year” plan. :o
 
I’m very excited to have found a CATHOLIC site that I can link to for each day’s readings!

veritasbible.com/ has invited me to use their site - it includes commentaries and other great features.

I’m really happy about that! I’ll be working to change all of the links, but it will take some time.

In the meantime, I won’t be doing any work that will interfere with its use - if you haven’t started yet but would like to, it’s designed so you can start any time of year, not just Jan. 1 👍
Hi

This is great. I would like to use your plan, and recommend it to others as well. I have already made many copies. Do I need to pay you to do this? I am assuming you have released this plan into the public domain, but I just wanted to check beforehand.🙂

Also does this plan work with the Douay Rheims Bible? That is the one I have.
 
Hi

This is great. I would like to use your plan, and recommend it to others as well. I have already made many copies. Do I need to pay you to do this? I am assuming you have released this plan into the public domain, but I just wanted to check beforehand.🙂

Also does this plan work with the Douay Rheims Bible? That is the one I have.
I think when you go to the site and click on week 1, you will see how it works - each day you will be linked to the Veritasbible site and all of your readings will be on one page.

It is in the Douay Rheims version, and it is completely free.

I’ve been so blessed as I’ve been reading through the plan myself - I had not read the Douay Rheims before. I pray you will be blessed as well!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top