Read the Power of positive thinking by NV Peale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerg

Read the power of positive thinking by Norman Vincent Peale for neurotic people to put their lives in order.

It’s embarrassing to say this, but I think more people should read this book, myself included. Read less negative things and more positive motivating things.

Read the power of positive thinking by Norman Vincent Peale for neurotic people to put their lives in order.

It’s embarrassing to say this, but I think more people should read this book, myself included. Read less negative things and more positive motivating things.
It’s definitely better to read more positive than negative things but I’d discourage you from turning to Norman Vincent Peale. His philosophies are rejected by most mainstream Christian churches and the Catholic Church, for discouraging people from experiencing remorse or sorrow or failure in any sense. Those things are important aspects of repentance. There are other new age things mixed in with his work such as regarding God as an energy rather than a Person.

I’d suggest getting hold of Robert Spitzer’s work. He is a well known author and Jesuit priest in the US.

Finding True Happiness: Satisfying Our Restless Hearts (San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 2015).

From years spent moderating a cancer forum, we saw many who did not have cancer, but were terrified of the disease. They admitted that they were very anxious and some had been to multiple doctors - most complaining that the doctors would not listen to them. Of course, they could not be satisfied, except with a cancer diagnosis, which would begin the cycle of anxiety again.

The true pandemic: one in five today suffer from some form of anxiety, amounting to 64 million in the US alone. That anxiety can trigger over 100 physical symptoms of illness with no disease process being present. For those who are affected, the gold standard in therapy is called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and, with a few exceptions, is drug-free. It teaches a re-learning of how we think, so as to generate less stress and achieve more personal peace.

It is consistent with the Catholic/Christian faith and Dr. Greg Popcak offers therapy to those with anxiety disorders. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy can even be done over the phone. I have no connection with either of these links, but referred many to them in case they were seeking assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back