H
Hotchkiss
Guest
At an extremely formal OF Mass would there be any problem per the Church if the lay commissioned readers and the lay cantor wore white albs? Footnotes would be appreciated. Thanks.
What is a extremely formal OF Mass?At an extremely formal OF Mass would there be any problem per the Church if the lay commissioned readers and the lay cantor wore white albs? Footnotes would be appreciated. Thanks.
Per GIRM 339 It belongs to the various regional Bishops’ Conferences to decide on the wearing of the alb by the various ministersAt an extremely formal OF Mass would there be any problem per the Church if the lay commissioned readers and the lay cantor wore white albs? Footnotes would be appreciated. Thanks.
GIRM 339. In the dioceses of the United States of America, acolytes, altar servers, lectors, and other lay ministers may wear the alb or other suitable vesture or other appropriate and dignified clothing.
Progressive solemnity.What is a extremely formal OF Mass?![]()
Easy now Hotchkiss, We all assume everyone knows the acronyms that we toss about. I had to give it “a think” myself.Please, please do not derail this thread…
But the alb is not a clerical garment, it’s a baptismal garment. That is what we put on any person who is baptized past infancy (chronological infancy, not Church infancy).I can’t quote a regulation. Personally I don’t like the idea of laypeople wearing albs. It blurs the distinction between laity and clergy. There’s no need for it.
But we don’t all wear baptismal garments to church, unless we’re being baptized.But the alb is not a clerical garment, it’s a baptismal garment. That is what we put on any person who is baptized past infancy (chronological infancy, not Church infancy).
Ya know Jim, I’m there with you on the need, but there are cases where I’ve see the suitability of the garments worn by the lector, cantor, et al. in dire need. Many instances come to mind when a young lass was dressed in what would be kindly referred to as “party” clothing. (lent itself more to attracting guys than proclaiming the Word) Not that I’m not appreciative of a fine looking lass in a nice outfit,I can’t quote a regulation. Personally I don’t like the idea of laypeople wearing albs. It blurs the distinction between laity and clergy. There’s no need for it.
I think that is the plan of modernists. Once the lines of laity/clergy are erased they will move to get rid of the priesthood. Satan is at work just as our Holy Mother Mary at Fatima warned us about.I can’t quote a regulation. Personally I don’t like the idea of laypeople wearing albs. It blurs the distinction between laity and clergy. There’s no need for it.
Again, Rome leaves the decision of whether or not to have ministers wear the alb up to the local conferences of bishops and the USCCB has said “Yes, albs may be worn by all lay ministers” and they list ‘lay ministers’ after acolytes, lectors and altar servers.Admittedly, there may be times when a lay reader is in need of a cover up. That seems a matter of education in proper church attire. If I recall correctly, the alb is designated as the common garment for both ordained and instituted ministries. There are very few instituted ministries in the parishes. Even altar servers are appointed, not instituted. (If they were instituted as acolytes, again IIRC, they would all have to be male.)
Oh, I agree that they are allowed. I just don’t see the need. I won’t be wearing one in any case! But no worries there; there are no parishes in my diocese where lay readers wear an alb.Again, Rome leaves the decision of whether or not to have ministers wear the alb up to the local conferences of bishops and the USCCB has said “Yes, albs may be worn by all lay ministers” and they list ‘lay ministers’ after acolytes, lectors and altar servers.
And I thought that I had to go and get a fishing pole to catch a red herring. Thanks you for saving my time.I think that is the plan of modernists. Once the lines of laity/clergy are erased they will move to get rid of the priesthood. Satan is at work just as our Holy Mother Mary at Fatima warned us about.
Thank you, that says it all…Per GIRM 339 It belongs to the various regional Bishops’ Conferences to decide on the wearing of the alb by the various ministers