Surely this person should not do evil so that a good grade can come about. I thought that being a Christian was about standing our ground and witnessing to the Cross even if harm was threatened to us. What kind of martyr would offer incense to idols or blaspheme Jesus’ name just because the emperor assigned it?
Come on, he’s not offering his children by fire to Baal, or worship an idol, or blaspheme against the name of the Lord! Let’s not get hyperbolic here.
He’s been asked to study a fairly old (and fairly boring, from what my mother - a professor of English - once said) novel, older than any of us on this board, which happens to deal with an adulterous protagonist
whose life ends tragically when she realizes the destructive nature of passion. It’s certainly not a very edifying tale, but it’s not particularly immoral either. Considering
some of the stuff students are made to read these days, I think we should cut the OP and his teachers a little slack here.
When I was studying for my MD, I had to study all kinds of morally dubious stuff, including “sociobiology” (explaining morality and behaviour in Darwinian terms), Sigmund Freud’s theories, and textbook chapters that described homosexual behaviour as “normal”. Did I enjoy it? No way. But you need discernment when pursuing an education, and I survived.
We should try to understand the world we live in, because forewarned is forearmed. Even if the world is sometimes our enemy, “know your enemy” is sound advice. And in this case, there is no sin involved: he’s not being told to read
Hustler magazine, or to swear on the Quran.