Reading List for Beginners

  • Thread starter Thread starter JustStarting
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, yeah – “they Story of a Soul” by St. Therese of Lisseux is a wonderful read, as is “The Way of Perfection” by St. Teresa of Avila. I loved Chesterton’s “Orthodoxy” and a book he wrote on St. Francis.
 
Wow. A lot of suggestions. A few points of clarification:

I haven’t come back yet. I’ve met with a Priest and he suggested I take my time to make sure it’s a lifetime decision. So I appreciate all the “Welcome Homes”, but I’m not sure I deserve them yet.

Second, I’m looking for books that will HELP me make sure I understand enough to make a lifetime decision.

Finally, it’s occurred to me now that once I’m all set and I’m back in the Church, my username will need to be changed… DOH! :o

Keep going folks— YOU ARE REALLY HELPING ME! 👍
 
I actually passed this question on to Catholic Answers apologist Michelle Arnold, who forwarded me this link: archive.catholic.com/thisrock/2004/0412five.asp

These are directed toward apologists but might be helpful nevertheless. I found Karl Keating’s “What Catholics Really Believe” very helpful when I was discerning whether to come back to the Church, as well as Madrid’s “Surprised by Truth.”
 
I actually passed this question on to Catholic Answers apologist Michelle Arnold, who forwarded me this link: archive.catholic.com/thisrock/2004/0412five.asp

These are directed toward apologists but might be helpful nevertheless. I found Karl Keating’s “What Catholics Really Believe” very helpful when I was discerning whether to come back to the Church, as well as Madrid’s “Surprised by Truth.”
Hey, that was really helpful-- thanks! Currently I’m looking for books that focus on explaining the faith rather than defending it. I do have one or two of the books on that list though…
 
Wow. A lot of suggestions. A few points of clarification:

I haven’t come back yet. I’ve met with a Priest and he suggested I take my time to make sure it’s a lifetime decision. So I appreciate all the “Welcome Homes”, but I’m not sure I deserve them yet.

Second, I’m looking for books that will HELP me make sure I understand enough to make a lifetime decision.

Finally, it’s occurred to me now that once I’m all set and I’m back in the Church, my username will need to be changed… DOH! :o

Keep going folks— YOU ARE REALLY HELPING ME! 👍
Ok, in this case I really think that these books will help you:

Signs of Life: 40 Catholic Customs and their Biblical Roots

Crossing the Tiber: Evangelical Protestants Discover the Historical Church

Surprised by Truth
 
Besides the Catechism of the Catholic Church, I recommend reading the papal encyclicals which can be found at the Vatican’s official website. And I recommend reading the following books:

‘In the Beginning…’: A Catholic Understanding of the Story of Creation and the Fall (Ratzinger)
Truth And Tolerance (Ratzinger)
Where We Got The Bible: Our Debt to the Catholic Church (Henry Graham)
Why Catholic Bibles are Bigger (Gary G. Michuta)
New Proofs for the Existence of God: Contributions of Contemporary Physics and Philosophy (Robert J. Spitzer)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top