Reading the Bible cover to cover

  • Thread starter Thread starter Phil_Fox_Rose
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phil_Fox_Rose

Guest
This column in Busted Halo advocates reading the Bible through – not just the daily readings, but everything, so that we might know God better through the Word. What do you think? Of course, we should read commentaries and listen to homilies about scripture too, but can anyone offer a good reason that every Catholic, every Christian, should not read the Bible through at least once?
The other day I was reading in Acts 8 about Philip the Evangelist, my namesake, along with some study bible commentary on his history. Even though I was named after him, I have never read these passages before. I finally did because recently I began using a plan to read through the entire Bible in a year.
I’ve led Bible studies, attended college-level classes on scripture, and heard hundreds of sermons about Bible passages. But until now I’ve never read it all – only the “popular bits.” Of course, I’d heard a sermon or two about Philip’s meeting a eunuch on the road to Gaza and baptizing him, but until now I’d never read about the rest of his travels or learned about his role in the early church. I’m embarrassed that I didn’t already know more about my namesake. How did this happen?
While daily reading of the Bible – often using a plan to cover it within a year or less – is very common in the evangelical world, it is a relatively novel thing among other Christians. For most, it’s just a lot to ask, I guess. And for Catholics, there is a long history of encouraging the laity to get the Word of God through the intermediary of a priest. There are, of course, the daily readings at mass — excerpts from the Old and New Testament, the Gospels and a psalm. Nowadays, the Catholic Church encourages people to read the Bible themselves. But old habits are slow to change. And even though anyone can read these passages from the Lectionary, they’re carefully selected excerpts, not the full text.
Many of my suggestions over the weeks in What Works have to do with one greater goal: increasing your sense of connectedness to God and the divine all around you: daily prayer, getting out in nature, honoring the Sabbath, meditation. And one of the best ways to enhance your sense of engagement with God is to engage with scripture, the Word of God, every day…
Read this whole column on Busted Halo here: bustedhalo.com/features/what-works-35-reading-the-bible
 
I am wondering if you mean cover to cover, page by page, or can you skip around? The reason I ask is because the Bible has a story, but it isn’t necessarily arranged in that order. Leviticus is all about the laws of Moses and can be tedious to read and Jeremiah is written in the time of Kings I think, but they aren’t close in the Bible. I am all for reading it in its entirety and can think of no reason not to; however, I would suggest reading it in the order of the story.
 
I’d suggest attending a Jeff Cavin’s Scripture Study “Great Adventure Bible Studies”.

EWTN had a series on one year and they are very good. Jeff talked about the need to read Scripture to find Christ in the Old Testament.

biblestudyforcatholics.com/
 
I am wondering if you mean cover to cover, page by page, or can you skip around? The reason I ask is because the Bible has a story, but it isn’t necessarily arranged in that order. Leviticus is all about the laws of Moses and can be tedious to read and Jeremiah is written in the time of Kings I think, but they aren’t close in the Bible. I am all for reading it in its entirety and can think of no reason not to; however, I would suggest reading it in the order of the story.
Good point, bnbkaine. When I said cover to cover I really just meant read it all. The reading plan I’m using, M’Cheyne, alternates between old and new testaments, so I’m not reading it cover to cover in that sense either. I know some plans do it in story order too. It’s all good as long as you don’t skip stuff. Thanks for pointing that out.
 
Good point, bnbkaine. When I said cover to cover I really just meant read it all. The reading plan I’m using, M’Cheyne, alternates between old and new testaments, so I’m not reading it cover to cover in that sense either. I know some plans do it in story order too. It’s all good as long as you don’t skip stuff. Thanks for pointing that out.
We should read the bible cover to cover, but we must understand what we are reading or else we’ll get stuck in Leviticus and lose interest.

Who ever mentioned Jeff Cavin’s Great Adventure series is dead on. Another option is to read Scott Hahn’s “A Father Who Keeps His Promises”.

On a side note, I’ve found that understanding the Old Testament is a great way to more fully appreciate the New Testament. My last question is, why just read it once. The 2nd time you go through, things will make more sense and even the 3rd time. I would imagine it keeps adding in to a more complete understanding and appreciation.
 
All the suggestions so far are really good and they all more or less point to one thing, that you should acquire a good understanding of the chronology and message of the Bible before taking on the whole thing. Otherwise confusion and boredom will set in quickly. If you are a relative neophyte, I would suggest a year or two of consistent Bible study before setting out to read the whole thing through. Whoever suggested Jeff Cavins’ material was also on the mark.

After many years of Bible study, I did actually read it cover to cover five years ago. It was both a blessing and and an education. I want to do it again soon, and will probably do it by listening to an audio bible during drive time.
 
I don’t want to discourage anybody, but I have tried and, truthfully, failed. You should understand that I’m retired and have set aside a lot of time for reading the Bible.

There are a lot of things I don’t understand. I have commentaries that explain things and make it much clearer than just plain reading it.

Anybody who reads this thread should figure out what’s best for her or him.

Another approach might be to read one of the books of the Bible and to re-read it, and then maybe to study it alongside a commentary.

Without a commentary, you might read Romans and not notice the shift that takes place. For the first several chapters, Paul talks about “sins” but then shifts to talking about “sin.”
That’s a big deal, actually, but I read Romans only with difficulty, and I missed that whole deeper aspect to the conversation.

The discussion in the New Testament of how the New Covenant has replaced the Old Covenant takes place over several books. It takes some study to pull this together into a systematic picture. Even Bible commentaries can overlook whole ideas, and this website demonstrates that no one has found the perfect commentary, yet.

I was reading about the plagues in exodus, and I got really confused. I thought the cattle were killed off in one of the early plagues, but we’re still killing off cattle in other plagues. My head is still spinning from that one.

This is not all “downside” and “discouraging” by any stretch. I’m overjoyed that there’s so much content in Scripture.

By all means, everybody should read the Bible cover-to-cover, in the most meaningful way that is comfortable to them. Read James in the New Testament. Read carefully what he says about trials and temptations. Reading difficult passages in scripture may become a trial for you, but don’t let it become a temptation to stop reading. Keep your trial and temptation ducks in separate rows. Pray for the wisdom, as he says, that God bestows generously on those who ask for it.
 
There are so many scripture verses that are meaningful and impressive to me, and then there’s a whole lot of them that sail over my head until I get a chance to consult a commentary. And, then, I’m frustrated that I missed such a beautiful thing that I was reading.

Again, the letter of James.

James 1:1 “James, a servant of God and of the LORD Jesus Christ.”

OK? Really OK on that? I hope so. There’s a lot to grab on to there, in that one verse.

How about “Crumpy, a servant of God and the LORD Jesus Christ” ? That one verse really sets the tone for his whole letter. YOU should want to be a servant of God and the LORD Jesus Christ. That’s what the whole letter is about, becoming a servant of God and the LORD Jesus Christ!!

There’s some question about who James really is. One of the James in the NT is described as the brother of the LORD Jesus. So, it is probably this relative of Jesus who is the human author of this letter, and his authority is probably recognized from that. But, interesting that he does not make anything at all about it. It is more important to be…what else?..a servant of God and the LORD Jesus Christ.

For me, I’m thankful for every commentary that can slow me down and tease out the meaning and blessings of these verses.

See? There’s so much to look forward to!
 
Hi all,
In my Catechesis class, the tutor related an anecdote in which her parish priest read a very interesting short book. A week later, however, he had forgotten it’s message so he read it again. A week later, bing!, he had forgotten it yet again. So, he read it a third time. Shortly after this third complete reading, the gas engineer called to take a meter reading. The priest engaged in small talk with the man and then he mentioned the book he had just finished. He proceeded to tell him all about it, how he had read it several times and how he was enthused by it’s message.
From that day onward the priest remembered that book clearly and precisely.
So, the point being, if we are to really digest the joyous themes of the Bible, it is vitally important we do it with others. It is in relating that we learn.
God Bless,
Colmcille.
 
My last question is, why just read it once. The 2nd time you go through, things will make more sense and even the 3rd time. I would imagine it keeps adding in to a more complete understanding and appreciation.
Absolutely! My wording in the original post was “at least once.” I think we’d all be better off if we read scripture every day for the rest of our lives. But I was just giving people a more manageable challenge. I wouldn’t argue against using other methods to read it the next time – perhaps lectio, or a thematically based study, or a different commentary – something to help you look at it with fresh eyes, but by all means read it again and again.

Several people have mentioned using a commentary. I do. In fact, I mention it in the first sentence of the excerpt:
The other day I was reading in Acts 8 about Philip the Evangelist, my namesake, along with some study bible commentary on his history.
A good commentary or study bible is very valuable. As several commenters have pointed out, besides the obvious explaining of things you don’t understand, they often point out shifts in meaning or tone or subtle distinctions being made by the use of a particular word in the original language. Some days I’ll read the text and neglect the commentary; some days I’ll immerse myself in the commentary and read probably triple the words of the daily reading. It makes it a much richer experience.
 
Absolutely! My wording in the original post was “at least once.” I think we’d all be better off if we read scripture every day for the rest of our lives. But I was just giving people a more manageable challenge. I wouldn’t argue against using other methods to read it the next time – perhaps lectio, or a thematically based study, or a different commentary – something to help you look at it with fresh eyes, but by all means read it again and again.
Amen!

Father Larry Richard says, “No Bible, no breakfast. No Bible, no bed.” 👍
 
Hi all,
In my Catechesis class, the tutor related an anecdote in which her parish priest read a very interesting short book. A week later, however, he had forgotten it’s message so he read it again. A week later, bing!, he had forgotten it yet again. So, he read it a third time. Shortly after this third complete reading, the gas engineer called to take a meter reading. The priest engaged in small talk with the man and then he mentioned the book he had just finished. He proceeded to tell him all about it, how he had read it several times and how he was enthused by it’s message.
From that day onward the priest remembered that book clearly and precisely.
So, the point being, if we are to really digest the joyous themes of the Bible, it is vitally important we do it with others. It is in relating that we learn.
God Bless,
Colmcille.
I thought you were going to say the gas guy told the priest there was a gas leak, and that is why he couldn’t concentrate. Thank God that didn’t happen.

I absolutely agree that there’s a lot to be gained by discussing verses or texts. The text might not “click” until you try to say something about it. Same goes for listening to others. People have such different perspectives, even when I think I had it all figured out.

I’m not in a scripture class presently, because I can’t find one where they take the time to read the scripture in class. I think that’s very important for a number of reasons. One, it helps to hear the text again and maybe from someone else reading it. Second, for practical reasons, it puts everybody on the same page, if they hadn’t been able to prepare for the Bible study. Maybe the Zeroth reason is that the scripture is the Word of God, God is the primary author, and we ought to listen to God first.

Little Rock Scripture Study is so “busy” there isn’t time to read the scripture. You get focused on reading a lot of commentaries and on answering a lot of questions – it’s all predigested Bible study. That’s like going to a dinner without actually eating the food, just talking about food. That’s my reaction to it, anyway.
 
We should read the bible cover to cover, but we must understand what we are reading or else we’ll get stuck in Leviticus and lose interest.

.
Leviticus is tough to read, but I think our goal should be to read it and understand it – get to the point where we really WANT to read Leviticus.

It contains what is called the Holiness Code.

It describes what we might call “Jewish confession.” If you did such sin x, y, or z, you’d have to take a spotless bull up to the Temple to be offered.

We’d all see NotWorthy leading his prize bull up there, maybe slowly, petting this prized animal which he’d pampered for so long. Maybe we’d have some compassion for NotWorthy because it would be obvious he’d done something “big” or maybe we’d be judgmental for the same reason.

Maybe NotWorthy would spend some time up there, watching the animal sacrificed, cut, carved up, blood spurting all over, and the carcas hauled away. NotWorthy might spend some time lingering near the Temple, in meditation, stunned by the loss of this carefully tended animal. He might spend some time there meditating on the Law and God’s mercy.

One of the ways, then, to read Leviticus is to put yourself “into” it.

Look at the “wave” offerings and think how the priest elevates the bread and wine at the Offertory at the Mass – wave offerings to God.

“Blessed are You, God of all creation!” the priest says as he offers the bread! The offering begins first with praise and honor of God! Very Jewish! Very Levitical!

“Through YOUR goodness we have this bread to offer” We offer back to God a part of the goodness He has bestowed on us.

But, in Leviticus, even before a single offering, the priest himself must be purified and consecrated and properly dressed to even begin to approach the altar of sacrifice.

Kidush HOLY

KIdush HOLY

Kidush HOLY are YOU LORD!

(needless to say, the gum chewing and whispering and laughing and texting and everything immature and nonsense that we see at Mass have no place, if we have read Leviticus with the proper sense of religion, respect, and awe.)

In Leviticus we don’t get the flavor of the Jewish liturgy which was accompanied by the singing of Psalms by the Levites and the reading of the Torah (instruction).

Yeah, we should read Leviticus, and burn incense, and purify ourselves and confess our sins, and approach the judgment seat. And, marvel in wonder that Jesus has fulfilled all of this on our behalf.
 
I thought you were going to say the gas guy told the priest there was a gas leak, and that is why he couldn’t concentrate. Thank God that didn’t happen.

I absolutely agree that there’s a lot to be gained by discussing verses or texts. The text might not “click” until you try to say something about it. Same goes for listening to others. People have such different perspectives, even when I think I had it all figured out.

I’m not in a scripture class presently, because I can’t find one where they take the time to read the scripture in class. I think that’s very important for a number of reasons. One, it helps to hear the text again and maybe from someone else reading it. Second, for practical reasons, it puts everybody on the same page, if they hadn’t been able to prepare for the Bible study. Maybe the Zeroth reason is that the scripture is the Word of God, God is the primary author, and we ought to listen to God first.

Little Rock Scripture Study is so “busy” there isn’t time to read the scripture. You get focused on reading a lot of commentaries and on answering a lot of questions – it’s all predigested Bible study. That’s like going to a dinner without actually eating the food, just talking about food. That’s my reaction to it, anyway.
Hi Crumpy,
I like your excellent food analogy. I think that is why so many people can be alienated from Bible reading. I am very interested in Catechetics because I wish to develop a writing style. But in order to do that, I must be able to speak clearly and confidently about Scripture. The next step is putting those confident words onto paper.
And, may I add to your good point about listening to God first: after the healthy and thorough debate we should listen to God last as well.
God Bless,
Colmcille.
 
Let me join the chorus of those who encourage you to read the whole bible. I agree that reading from Genesis straight through to Revelations is a tough slog. Most, like Israel itself, get bogged down in the desert (Numbers and Deuteronomy) and, unfortunately, never make it to the Promised Land (Deuteronomy? I Samuel? Psalms? Isaiah? you pick – sorry for the limping analogy).

The best approach is to do a little bit at a time and keep at it. I like the very straightforward approach of reading one chapter of OT and one of NT daily. You end up reading through the NT about three times for every time you complete the OT and complete the bible in about 18 months. Daily reading plans to read the bible in a year have about two chapters of OT and one of NT. Several are available online.

I do agree with the post above that recommended use of a commentary. The OT can be very hard to make sense of without some help. My former parish did the Great Adventure Bible Timeline Seminar, both as a one-day seminar and a full year adult study (involving over 100 people!). A great way to learn about the bible as a whole. Reading and learning about the scriptures in a group is a tremendous help.
 
My practice of reading the Bible regularly has paralleled several other disciplines - Rosary, daily Mass, Liturgy of the Hours, even daily exercise - I do it out of a sense of obligation until I do it out of a sense of joy. Each one of these practices (except for exercising) began as a Lenten devotion which I imposed on myself. So, in short, I did it because I had to until I got to the point that I did it because I wanted to.
 
Scott Hahn has a excellent book I believe called “How to read the Bible”- its very hard to get because so many of the Catholic schools in the US are using it- our local High school uses it and the young people really love it.
 
I came to a decision a while ago to read the bible through, and had picked up a “Read the Bible and the Catechism in a Year” pamphlet from a Catholic Bookstore near work, put out by the Coming Home Network. Turns out the pamphlet is available online too: chnetwork.org/readguide04.pdf

It’s about a half hour of reading per day (I’m a slow reader), with each day having a reading from the OT, NT, Psalms/Proverbs, and the Catechism. Not sure what will happen when I hit Leviticus, but I’m looking forward to finding out.

Anyway, to make sure I don’t just mindlessly read it, I’m blogging the whole affair and inviting people to follow along and discuss as we go. There are some things I don’t fully understand, but I am searching for answers to questions as I go. I think that after I get through it this time, I might head back and do the Jeff Cavins study. I think I could get used to reading scripture daily. Granted, I’m only a few weeks in…but I’m really starting to look forward to time each day with God’s Word.

God Bless,

Andre
 
This is an interesting topic. Here are my thoughts on the matter, because I have somewhat found my own method of tackling this unique issue.

First off, I took my cue from the mass. Read the old with the new, and apply it to your Biblical studies. Basically, I make sure that no matter what book I am reading in OT or in the NT, I am always reading a gospel, so that I see how it ties in with Christ. It’s slower going, but much richer.

Second, yes you can go linearly through Genesis, etc, but Leviticus is a stumper. Romans can be a stumper. This is why I like to make use of or create my own studies that subdivide these up. For instance, I may read portions of Leviticus with Hebrews and one of the Gospels, so that I see how the boring, rote material comes alive in our Lord. Through multiple studies, you will get through Leviticus without getting stuck, and come away with a fuller appreciation.

Commentaries can be extremely helpful. I particularly love Sungenis and Hahn’s work in this area. That being said, while they are good on a verse by verse basis, sometimes, as another has already pointed out, they can lose sight of the bigger picture even on a passage by passage basis. Sungenis’ work can be helpful in this regard because of his extended apologetics commentaries in the back. His work on James and Romans was masterful in helping me grasp the faith/works issue.

Romans I like to study side by side with James. They are both talking about works through grace, but Paul assumes the works and focuses on the faith, whereas James assumes the faith and focus on the works. Then, again, I will usually be studying a Gospel simultaneously, and I can read how this interplay of faith and works is demonstrated by our Lord.

On a grander scale, you can look at the steady progression of the growth of God’s family through covenental theology throughout Old and New. The Psalms I like to study in conjunction with the Gospels, and I just plain love to read the Psalms. They are so brutally, wrenchingly honest about the human experience that they seem to me to be required reading.

An even slower, but equally rewarding experience is to stock up on Church Father biblical commentary, and glean insights from their awesomeness as they study the Word with you. 🙂

All in all, this is how I like to approach Bible reading. I feel it helps me understand the Word better, I feel it is a well-established method within the Church, and studying in this way rather than strictly linearly per se also does wonders for your apologetics. Hope it helps in some way.
 
Just fyi, I downloaded a fee bible app for my cellphone (from LifeChurch.tv) that includes 23 different reading plans as well as a number of different versions of the bible (unfortunately, no versions approved by the Church and none include the so-called Apocryphal books). My point is simply that there are many, many different reading programs out there that provide ways to read through the bible. If you are committed to reading through the bible, you will find one that works for you.

Also, I recommend finding a “bible buddy” – a Catholic friend who is also committed to reading through the bible. You can encourage each other, compare notes about what you are reading and how it impacts your life, and share about other ways that you can grow in your faith.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top