Reading the Bible on my Kindle reader

  • Thread starter Thread starter chrisphx
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chrisphx

Guest
I just downloaded Jesus of Nazareth onto my Kindle and am thoroughly enjoying it. I am curious if there anyone knows of the best version of the Bible to get on my Kindle. This is my preferred reading format. There are 961 results when typing “Catholic Bible” into the Kindle store in Amazon. I am looking for easy navigation and helpful footnotes.

amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no…+bible&x=0&y=0
 
I just downloaded Jesus of Nazareth onto my Kindle and am thoroughly enjoying it. I am curious if there anyone knows of the best version of the Bible to get on my Kindle. This is my preferred reading format. There are 961 results when typing “Catholic Bible” into the Kindle store in Amazon. I am looking for easy navigation and helpful footnotes.

amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no…+bible&x=0&y=0
The RSV-2CE is available on Kindle, and it is good to use with the Pope’s book because Ignatius Press who publishes the book uses the RSV-CE/2CE for its biblical translations.
 
I would go with the Douay-Rheims, or the Clementine Vulgate if you read Latin.
 
I have the RSV-CE on my Kindle by Ignatious Press. Great for reading while waiting at dentists office, etc, or while travelling.
I have more than one Catholic Bible, but the RSV-CE (large print) full size Bible is my favorite for reading at home, since it allows me to go back and forth to certain passages for review, marking special passages etc.

The RSV-CE was used for reference in the “Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition”. (You can find this on the copyright page.)

The RSV-CE was used for the “The Truth & Life Dramatized audio Bible™ New Testament”
This new audio Bible (New Testament) is endorsed with an Imprimatur from the Vatican and includes a foreword by Pope Benedict XVI.
 
You can get the Ignatius $9.99, and I have the Douay-Rheims on my kindle.
 
IThe RSV-CE was used for reference in the “Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition”. (You can find this on the copyright page.)
Actually, this is not correct. If you look at the copyright page, you’ll see quite clearly that the CCC uses the NRSV and the RSV (not the RSV-CE).
 
best advice is to find out what version of the print bible you like best, then go on the regular amazon and find it, then click to see if they have a kindle version, and read the reviews to see if it has index, t of c, easily search-able etc.

Ignatius Press seems to have taken a lead in putting many of their titles including bibles on kindle. Find the version there you like, then try amazon, then kindle from the amazon book page. going through “kindle e-books” is just about useless
 
Actually, this is not correct. If you look at the copyright page, you’ll see quite clearly that the CCC uses the NRSV and the RSV (not the RSV-CE).
Technically for those who are interested -
CE means Catholic Edition, containing the 7 additional books in the old Testament, and some foot notes may vary from Protestant version.
RSV means Revised Standard Version
NRSV means New Revised Standard Version

Be sure to get the RSV-CE, when purchasing a Bible, if you are interested.
Of course it has the Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur.
 
Technically for those who are interested -
CE means Catholic Edition, containing the 7 additional books in the old Testament, and some foot notes may vary from Protestant version.
RSV means Revised Standard Version
NRSV means New Revised Standard Version

Be sure to get the RSV-CE, when purchasing a Bible, if you are interested.
Of course it has the Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur.
Thank you to everyone for your guidance. What is the difference between the RSV and the NRSV?

I (name removed by moderator)ut “RSV-CE bible” in the Amazon search and came up with many versions, including one from Ignatius that is available on the Kindle (amazon.com/The-Ignatius-Bible-ebook/dp/B002LDM8UO/ref=sr_1_3_title_1_ke?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303075589&sr=1-3). I downloaded a sample and will check it out later today.
 
Thank you to everyone for your guidance. What is the difference between the RSV and the NRSV?
The NRSV is a revision of the RSV, published in 1989.

The RSV had Protestant and a Jewish translator; but since the translation effort for the RSV began in 1937, 28 years before *Dei Verbum *authorized ecumenical translations, there were no Catholic participants. When Dei Verbum was propagated in 1965, the Catholic Biblical Association was able to publish a Catholic version of the RSV.

In contrast, the NRSV had Catholic (and Jewish and Eastern Orthodox) participation from the very beginning.

Some people do not like the NRSV because it uses some inclusive language, and in particular sometimes changes singular forms to plural forms to accomplish this. For example, in Psalm 1:

RSV: Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked…
NRSV: Happy are those who do not follow the advice of the wicked…

However, the NRSV includes more recent scholarship than the RSV and is also easier to read (particularly in the Pauline letters.)
 
best advice is to find out what version of the print bible you like best, then go on the regular amazon and find it, then click to see if they have a kindle version, and read the reviews to see if it has index, t of c, easily search-able etc.

Ignatius Press seems to have taken a lead in putting many of their titles including bibles on kindle. Find the version there you like, then try amazon, then kindle from the amazon book page. going through “kindle e-books” is just about useless
I’m hoping they do the same with Nook. I keep asking for books to be on Nook. I have Douey Rheims Chancellor but would love the Ignatious study bible on Nook.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top