readings

  • Thread starter Thread starter Monica37
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Monica37

Guest
This may be a dumb question, but if you would bear with me I’d appreciate it. I’m currently in Germany and have found a Latin Novous Ordo. I have the Latin prayers down (used to attend an EF in the States), but I am missing the readings and the Gospel. They have them available, but they are in German (they are also chanted in German, not Latin) and I am not ready for that yet (working hard on my German though). Anyway, are the readings in the States the same here or do I have to find them for this area? Then, where can I find them? I am still looking for an EF, but until then, this is a really good alternative as I can participate with the congregation through almost all of the Mass.

Thanks!
 
This may be a dumb question, but if you would bear with me I’d appreciate it. I’m currently in Germany and have found a Latin Novous Ordo. I have the Latin prayers down (used to attend an EF in the States), but I am missing the readings and the Gospel. They have them available, but they are in German (they are also chanted in German, not Latin) and I am not ready for that yet (working hard on my German though). Anyway, are the readings in the States the same here or do I have to find them for this area? Then, where can I find them? I am still looking for an EF, but until then, this is a really good alternative as I can participate with the congregation through almost all of the Mass.

Thanks!
For the most part, the readings at Mass are universal–the whole world uses the same Lectionary. There are some minor variations from country to country–but for the most part they’re the same.

Sundays are relatively easy because they will be (again, mostly) the same in Germany as the US.

Weekdays are a different story, because there’s so much variation possible for weekdays. Example: a priest can use either the readings of the day, or the readings for a saint if that day happens to have a saint on the calendar. This can make things very confusing. In Ordinal time, it’s even more confusing because a priest can do the readings for a votive Mass or Mass for a special need if he chooses.

I would suggest you get a Sunday Missal in English (priced anywhere from $2 to $40). If you need a local source, check with the nearest US military Chaplain and see if they’re offered for sale. You can probably buy one online and have it shipped there without too much extra cost. Of course, you might even have one already.

I don’t know if German parishes use missalettes or similar aides the same way we do in the States, or if the Sunday bulletin lists the readings (do they even use bulletins?). Regardless of the source, you did say “they have them available” They probably have the scripture references listed as well? Check a few Sundays and make sure that the references match. If nothing else, you can at least check the references and look up the readings in a bible.

Hope that helps.
 
In a shameless plug for my own work I offer%between% H.S.C.C.F.V. See Sunday Readings, third down on the menu on the left. I only list the readings and give a one line summary; I don’t have the full texts.
 
One thing I found different when I attended Mass in Europe (Switzerland and Germany) over the years when visiting relatives: Often there were only two readings rather than three, even on Sundays. I don’t know whether this is the norm there, or if the particular churches I was attending were taking liberties. (When I attended French-speaking churches there were the usual three readings on Sunday.)

The readings they did have, though, generally matched the ones in the Lectionary used in the U.S.
 
Thanks, Joe I’ll try those this Sunday. Philothea I honestly hadn’t noticed. I didn’t take the text last week because I thought it would do no good and I am still readjusting to the OF as opposed to the EF, so I am basically just looking for markers in the Mass to see where we are. I’ll pay closer attention this week. Usually during the parts I don’t understand I just look around this amazing church. It is perfectly preserved from the Gothic era and I just feel so close to the Saints when I’m there. They are all there sharing in the Mass and it can be a bit overwhelming. They also have a wonderful choir and it is such a beautiful experience. Also because so much of it is in Latin, I feel more part of this church than the all German OF. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top