Reaffirming truths

  • Thread starter Thread starter commenter
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
National Catholic Register

New ‘Declaration of Truths’ Affirms Key Church Teachings​

The document, whose signatories include Cardinal Raymond Burke, upholds key doctrines in areas ranging from the Eucharist and marriage to…

This is vitally needed. Preferably it should have been initiated by the Holy See, but at least the Vatican can endorse it.
Why?? We have the Catechism of the Catholic Church summarising the teachings of the Church which remain unchanged.
 
Why?? We have the Catechism of the Catholic Church summarising the teachings of the Church which remain unchanged.
The CCC is crucial. It summarizes all the truths of the Faith: most very familiar to all, some popular with all people, some unpopular in 2019 or very unfamiliar in 201re9.

This new document emphasizes those truths currently unfamiliar, unpopular, misunderstood, or distorted by the culture in 2019.
Consistent with the CCC, but different focus.
 
The original document is linked in the article as a pdf. It’s nice to see a brief, straightforward re-affirmation of various doctrines that seem to be doubted or over-looked these days. The Church should do more of this kind of thing, like she used to. IMO it’s much more helpful than the ultra-wordy missives that have become the norm in modern times.
 
Last edited:
I certainly don’t agree with this declaration’s view of celibacy. I believe it is trying to change doctrine and rewrite history. It states…
In light of increasing threats to mandatory celibacy of the priesthood, the declaration reasserts the Church’s discipline, stressing that it “stems from the example of Jesus Christ and belongs to immemorial and apostolic tradition.”
Nowhere in the Catechism do they say celibacy is an apostolic tradition.
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p2s2c3a6.htm

Even in Pope Paul VI’s document about celibacy being a gift, this is not said. He makes many good arguments for celibacy, and I agree celibacy can be a great gift by the way. Instead there is an acknowledge that celibacy is, in fact, not an apostolic tradition.

http://w2.vatican.va/content/paul-vi/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_24061967_sacerdotalis.html
Let us look openly at the principal objections against the law that links ecclesiastical celibacy with the priesthood. The first seems to come from the most authoritative source, the New Testament which preserves the teaching of Christ and the Apostles. It does not openly demand celibacy of sacred ministers but proposes it rather as a free act of obedience to a special vocation or to a special spiritual gift. (2) Jesus Himself did not make it a prerequisite in His choice of the Twelve, nor did the Apostles for those who presided over the first Christian communities.
 
Last edited:
I think it is good that they are allowed to publish it. It helps to show others that the Church allows different voices to speak up as they see fit (which is more freedom than many social media platforms seem to allow!).

But the link in the article didn’t work for me, so they may need a bit of a hand on getting all the tech lined up well for today’s Web-based world.
 
Last edited:
But the link in the article didn’t work for me
Which link? They all worked fine for me. Did you make sure your version of Adobe Acrobat Reader is up to date, and maybe popups are allowed for that site?
 
Hello. This is the link that didn’t work for me…

https://www.ncregister.comhttp//www...0.1595449515.1560192324-1687146151.1560035236

I have an up to date version of Firefox (I don’t use Adobe for anything - thankfully PDFs have an open standard now). I have pop ups set to request permission, so they are neither directly blocked or allowed to go straight through. You might guess that I’m quite scrupulous when it comes to Internet privacy 🙂 It could be the link was trying to force/hide a tracking cookie without asking permission - I haven’t checked for that.

Michael
 
Last edited:
I didn’t see anywhere were Pope Francis approved this statement…
 
I didn’t see anywhere were Pope Francis approved this statement…
Be patient. He’s got a few other things going on, and the catecism rules.

We who are older and perhaps more mature in our faith will find it hard to understand the poorly or marginally catechized. The elements of the faith have been treated with negligence for decades.

We hear about social justice this and fairness that - but almost never about why something is socially just or fair.
 
40.png
po18guy:
jrgmercado:
I didn’t see anywhere were Pope Francis approved this statement…
I wouldn’t advise holding your breath though. 😳 🤢
It was 380 years before the New Testament was decided. So, now do we want instant action, instant decisions? The Church is slow to act because God is slow to act in such circumstances.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top