Real Wine?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DevotedCatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DevotedCatholic

Guest

I have just celebrated my one year anniversary as a Catholic, Last Saturday was a busy day for me so I went to church because I knew I might not make it on Sunday and so part of my anniversary at Holy Communion I decided to take both bread and wine ( body and blood) when I recieved the wine I realized it was real wine, I was not aware of the Catholic Church using real wine until my Dear Husband explained it to me, I was used to a substitiute (Grape Juice). However my experience with Communion was different then I anticipated, I can say it was not a bad feeling. So I guess my question is has the Catholic Church used real wine since the beginning or has this come about in recent years?
 
Not only has it used real wine since the beginning it is required by canon law to be real wine. This is due to the fact that Jesus at the Last Supper used real wine.

The only exception to the rule is that priests that are alcholics with permission of their Bishop may use mustum (wine that is stopped from fermenting using natural methods.) Mustum is different from grape juice because grape juice uses methods other then natural methods to stop fermentation. But only a priest can use mustum, it cannot be given to parishoners without dispensation from the Vatican.

P.S. I am shocked this didn’t come up during RCIA.
 
I have just celebrated my one year anniversary as a Catholic, Last Saturday was a busy day for me so I went to church because I knew I might not make it on Sunday and so part of my anniversary at Holy Communion I decided to take both bread and wine ( body and blood) when I recieved the wine I realized it was real wine, I was not aware of the Catholic Church using real wine until my Dear Husband explained it to me, I was used to a substitiute (Grape Juice). However my experience with Communion was different then I anticipated, I can say it was not a bad feeling. So I guess my question is has the Catholic Church used real wine since the beginning or has this come about in recent years?
The Church has used real wine since the Last Supper:

**Following the example of Christ, the Church has always used bread and wine with water to celebrate the Lord’s Supper.
[General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM) 319

](http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/current/chapter6.shtml)**The wine for the eucharistic celebration must be from the fruit of the grapevine (cf. Lk 22:18), natural, and unadulterated, that is, without admixture of extraneous substances.
GIRM 322


Hope that helps,

James
[

](http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/current/chapter6.shtml)
 

It probably did but so much was covered during the time when I was in RCIA and in process of joining the church, I caught bits and pieces. I don’t know everything and will try learn whatever possible. I have learned in my journey to ask as many question as I need to so I thought I would ask. No harm in that.
 
It probably did but so much was covered during the time when I was in RCIA and in process of joining the church, I caught bits and pieces. I don’t know everything and will try learn whatever possible. I have learned in my journey to ask as many question as I need to so I thought I would ask. No harm in that.
No harm in asking. Not shocking that you might not have heard it. Like you said they go over a lot during that time. I would have been suprised if you had said it was never mentioned and you were listening. Welcome to the Church and feel free to ask any questions you have about the Church.

God Bless
 
I guess it better to try learning then not learn at all
 

I have just celebrated my one year anniversary as a Catholic, Last Saturday was a busy day for me so I went to church because I knew I might not make it on Sunday and so part of my anniversary at Holy Communion **I decided to take both bread and wine ( body and blood) **when I recieved the wine I realized it was real wine, I was not aware of the Catholic Church using real wine until my Dear Husband explained it to me, I was used to a substitiute (Grape Juice). However my experience with Communion was different then I anticipated, I can say it was not a bad feeling. So I guess my question is has the Catholic Church used real wine since the beginning or has this come about in recent years?
Since you admit to be learning, I thought I would just point out something you may already know. It isn’t a matter of bread = body and wine = blood following the consecration. The bread is body and blood AND the wine is body and blood. So you “get both” whenever you receive one!

Now isn’t that something!!! 👍
 
Hmm, I was told that one could take both and that it was not required but we had to take one at communion. I know I was not mistaken in hearing it as it was told to me by my last Pastor. So was he right or was he wrong?
 
If you are taking communion (communion is not required) you are only required to take either the Body or the Blood. What the earlier poster was getting at is that due to the fact you can’t really seperate Jesus’ divine nature, when you take the Body you are technically getting the entire Body, Blood, Soul and divinity of Christ. That same thing happens when you take the Blood. Physically taking both (unless you are a priest) isn’t required. You are allowed to take both if both are available, but you only have to take one.
 
Your pastor is correct. He and IristhAm were saying the same thing. With either species you get a full comunion, the body, blood, soul and divinity of Jesus Christ
 
He told us we were allowed to take both but we did not have too, in church during communion I see people take both, and since I am still new at this faith, it seemed to me that there was nothing wrong with it. Coming from a Baptist background I know that it is required to take both, So that is why I wondered it is was okay for one to take both, I hope that I am not sounding scrutinizing.
 
Hmm, I was told that one could take both and that it was not required but we had to take one at communion. I know I was not mistaken in hearing it as it was told to me by my last Pastor. So was he right or was he wrong?
Bless you for asking these questions. If you do not understand something, that is what the forums are for!👍

As for the Eucharist, it does not matter whether you only take the bread, if you only take the wine, or you take both. The bread and wine both contain the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus. In my case, I like to partake of both the bread and wine whenever I can. However, since I am in the choir, many times I can only take the bread because the wine is gone. It doesn’t matter, though, because any consecrated bread or wine contains the whole of Jesus.
 
Thanks for that little tidbit, now I dont have to go crazy.
 
Not only has it used real wine since the beginning it is required by canon law to be real wine. This is due to the fact that Jesus at the Last Supper used real wine.

The only exception to the rule is that priests that are alcholics with permission of their Bishop may use mustum (wine that is stopped from fermenting using natural methods.) Mustum is different from grape juice because grape juice uses methods other then natural methods to stop fermentation. But only a priest can use mustum, it cannot be given to parishoners without dispensation from the Vatican.

P.S. I am shocked this didn’t come up during RCIA.
Thanks for the info. They say your never too old to learn something new.
I’ve been a Catholic for almost 52 years and it’s the first time I heard about (“mustum”).
Even the 12 years I served as a sacristan I never heard of this.
In my archdiocese they have always used the ecclesiastically approved California light red wine made by CRIBARI altarwine.com 12% alc/vol. Of course a priest does have the choice of using an alternative white wine.
Thanks again for the info
 
I have never heard that word either, I did not even know it was a word and if you had asked me what I thought the word was I might have told you it was a form of Mustard LOL:D
 
It probably did but so much was covered during the time when I was in RCIA and in process of joining the church, I caught bits and pieces. I don’t know everything and will try learn whatever possible. I have learned in my journey to ask as many question as I need to so I thought I would ask. No harm in that.
No harm at all! Ask away.
 
Hello and welcome aboard!

Something important to note is that, as Catholis, we do not “take” Holy Communion; we receive Holy Communion.

Regarding the issue of the actual reception of Holy Communion, the entire Christ, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity, is contained in each of the Sacred Species, whether it is the Host or the Precious Blood.

Here is what St. Thomas Aquinas wrote in his him Laud Sion:
What at Supper Christ completed
He ordained to be repeated,
in His memory Divine.
Wherefore now, with adoration,
we, the Host of our salvation,
consecrate from bread and wine.
Words a nature’s course derange,
that in Flesh the bread may change
and the wine in Christ’s own Blood.
Does it pass thy comprehending?
Faith, the law of light transcending,
leaps to things not understood.
Here beneath these signs are hidden
priceless things, to sense forbidden;
signs, not things, are all we see.
Flesh from bread, and Blood from wine,
yet is Christ in either sign,
all entire confessed to be.
And whoe’er of Him partakes,
severs not, nor rends, nor breaks:
all entire, their Lord receive.
Whether one or thousand eat,
all receive the selfsame meat,
nor do less for others leave.
The last line of this hymn is worth mentioning. Should you come to a point where the priest is having to break hosts because there are too many communicants, you are still receiving the complete Body of Christ.

Regarding the actual substance of the wine, in addition to what has already been posted, the document Redemptionis Sacramentum notes that:
[50.] The wine that is used in the most sacred celebration of the Eucharistic Sacrifice must be natural, from the fruit of the grape, pure and incorrupt, not mixed with other substances.127 During the celebration itself, a small quantity of water is to be mixed with it. Great care should be taken so that the wine intended for the celebration of the Eucharist is well conserved and has not soured.128 It is altogether forbidden to use wine of doubtful authenticity or provenance, for the Church requires certainty regarding the conditions necessary for the validity of the sacraments. Nor are other drinks of any kind to be admitted for any reason, as they do not constitute valid matter.
I hope this helps you.
 
Thanks for the info. They say your never too old to learn something new.
Even I learned something new about this today. I only today found that as of 2003 the local Ordinary/Bishop can allow a layperson to use mustum. Before that it had to be the Vatican. Learn something new every day. 😉
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top