A
Aloysium
Guest
I don’t want to get into anything personal other than to say that your comment caused me to dig out a couple of physics texts, published fifty years ago.That is a wonderful perspective. Please elaborate!
You have the floor sir…
I for one (and may others I am sure) were not around for that.
Work on them would have started a few years earlier, a bit after sputnik and around the time of Yuri Gagarin’s orbit around the earth. In them, there is interestingly no actual discussion of origins although reference is made to diverse theories in the astrophysical literature. At that time, most information about the universe came from large telescopes peering into space through the atmosphere. The red shift had been described as long before, as the time that has now elapsed since the books were published. While I was originally going through them, the first report of what might be the background microwave radiation was being published. Quasars were being reported and pulsars were about to be discovered.
The technology has grown by leaps and bounds, widening our horizon’s of how our universe is constituted. Of course all this cannot be but a work in progress.
So now we have Stephen Hawking saying that contrary to current thinking, quantum theory, does allow for energy and information to escape from a black hole, acknowledging that there is no theory that successfully merges gravity with the other fundamental forces of nature. This elusive goal has frustrated physicists for a century. There are also other ways of conceptualizing the data. For example, Christof Wetterich has put forth the proposition that rather than space expanding, mass is increasing. As unlikely as this seems, it is an alternate explanation for the red-shift. Not only does much remain a mystery, but that mystery grows with every step humanity takes in the path of knowledge.
I could go on; sorry if I rambled. Take away message: Don’t ask old people to elaborate as they tend to keep going about old loves.