L
Lucky7
Guest
I completely get what you are saying and no need to apologize. I think everything written in this thread is very interesting and helpful…even those things we may disagree with.I definitely agree with you that we need to be balanced, rational, and charitable. We don’t have the right to just be suspicious forever. It’s wrong to read someone’s journal, because you don’t use a journal to be unfaithful to your spouse. I don’t see the purpose in reading it besides just being indulgent or wanting to embarrass them.
Here’s a hypothetical: Suppose your husband’s phone was sitting on a table, and when it rings, you notice that it’s a phone number with no name. He takes the call, but goes to another room. When he returns, you ask him who it was. If something about his body language or answer makes you uncomfortable because of his history of betrayal, I believe you have the right to ask him to look at his call history and texts. If I was in this situation and he didn’t want to show me, claiming his right to privacy, I would have a huge problem.
I also think any snooping or inspecting also needs to be done out in the open and not in secret. In my case, my husband’s betrayal is porn. Before I would ever check an electronic device, I simply ask him, “When was the last time you looked at porn?” And there have been times that he gave me an honest answer that I didn’t want to hear. I would rather hear truth that hurts than be told a lie and be blind. If something about his answer made me uneasy, I would inform him that I am going to check the computer. For me, the thing that hurt the most about the betrayal was being lied to and kept n the dark by my own husband. I just can’t have that again. I’ve actually never checked the computer or anything because, so far, I’ve been satisfied with his answers. He does appear to have turned over a new leaf. I’ve known women who have been betrayed, but have never truly felt they’re husband had sincere repentance. Their husbands treat them as though they have no right whatsoever to question or to be concerned, and that spouses should just trust unconditionally. I believe that sometimes, trust needs to be earned back.
It is definitely unhealthy and wrong to constantly snoop and question without restraint. I’ve seen women use past infidelity to lord it over their spouse for the rest of time and think they have the right to punish him or question and snoop on a whim. They constantly bring it up and just refuse to forgive and try to heal the marriage. I regret if I gave the impression that’s okay, because I don’t believe that. Also, sorry, Lucky7 for highjacking your thread and writing so much. This is actually a bit therapeutic for me.
I think my biggest concern iis for those who tout full transparency (knowing all passwords, etc) from the get-go because of past hurts in prior relationships. I think they need to be careful. There is never full transparency. Spouses that are going to cheat will find a way even if you think you have all of the information you need to prevent (?) the infidelity. On the contrary, I think it sends the message, I don’t trust you. I think that message can be more damaging in the long run.
In your situation, I guess I still think that having his computer password and access to his computer doesn’t necessarily prove anything. He could still be looking at porn elsewhere. Sure, if you don’t find it on his computer it gives you some level of comfort, but in reality you never know for sure (not to mention that computer history can be deleted). In my mind, if I can’t know for sure, then why snoop/check up on him anyway.
In my situation, I do have access to the cell phone records (and I do check them albeit not as often now). Sometimes I see numbers that I don’t know. Those unknown numbers may be anything! But where does my mind go?? The worst…when it’s probably nothing. Seriously. I can’t know every number he may call/text. At some point, you just have to…trust. And it’s that point I wish to reach as soon as possible. I think part of getting there is NOT checking his cell phone records, KWIM?