Receive forgiveness

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheMadman52
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheMadman52

Guest
Hi again,

I have bee wondering how a person who is not yet a catholic can receive forgiveness for their sins.

TIA.
 
“O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven, and the pains of hell; but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, Who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to confess my sins, to do penance, and to amend my life.”
 
Jesus gave authority for man to forgive on Earth. This fellow is blaspheming the teachers said at the time !!

I assume these men belong to the clergy (holy men) , seek one out my friend they will guide you correctly with an open heart.

God already knows everyone’s sin.
 
Hi again,

I have bee wondering how a person who is not yet a catholic can receive forgiveness for their sins.
The same way you do. Christ died for my sins. I repent and ask forgiveness through faith. He delivers the goods (grace and mercy).
 
Last edited:
Sorry I should of clarified. As a none catholic, I ca not Access the sacrament of the confessional. So what I’m wondering is even though I currently can not go to confession. Is my prayer for forgiveness still valid. I think the answer is probably yes. But I just want to know what the church teaches on this. As my googling hasn’t returned any satisfactory answers.

TIA.
 
I was taught, no matter which church I went to, that all sins are forgiven if you take them to God with honesty and truth (there are better words, but basically mean that)

The only unforgivable sin is blaspheme of the Holy Spirit. So you can ask God for forgiveness of your sins directly until you go through the steps of entering the Catholic church.

please correct me if I’m wrong… and sorry for not knowing the proper technical words for things.
 
Last edited:
Honestly, I’m not sure how it can happen. I suppose it may happen sometimes, but without the mechanism set up by God I’m not sure how it works.
 
“O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven, and the pains of hell; but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, Who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to confess my sins, to do penance, and to amend my life.”
This is an act of perfect contrition, and I omit the words in bold, so that I won’t even have the idea in my mind of repentance because of fearing God’s just punishments. I have cultivated the habit of making every act of contrition an act of perfect contrition. Note, also, that it is called an “act of perfect contrition”, not a “perfect act of contrition”. Big difference.

If you choose to do so, I can’t see why you couldn’t go to a priest, explain that you are not yet Catholic and cannot receive absolution, yet confess your sins and ask the priest to counsel you and to pray with you that you might be forgiven. It would be covered by the same confessional seal of secrecy. If I were a priest, I wouldn’t mind at all doing this for a non-Catholic — hearing their confession and doing everything except administering absolution, not the sacrament of penance but the next best thing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top