Receiving Communion more than twice in one day

  • Thread starter Thread starter JS_Cortez
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JS_Cortez

Guest
I recently was informed that according to Canon Law a Catholic may receive the Eucharist twice in one day, assuming they participated in the masses. But why couldn’t someone receive three times or more if they went to three or more masses? It’s not impossible if there are a number of churches in the area or there is an active mass schedule.

I’m just curious if there is a given reason or maybe that I was misinformed. It just seems odd to me.
 
I recently was informed that according to Canon Law a Catholic may receive the Eucharist twice in one day, assuming they participated in the masses. But why couldn’t someone receive three times or more if they went to three or more masses? It’s not impossible if there are a number of churches in the area or there is an active mass schedule.

I’m just curious if there is a given reason or maybe that I was misinformed. It just seems odd to me.
You were not misinformed. Actually, you might be able to recieve a 3rd time, buat that is as Vaiticum - in short, you are dying. You may not want to stretch that far.🤷

As best I can determine, it has to do with the fact that the Church wants the Eucharist to be special - it becomes in danger of being somewhat mundane when approached so frequently in one day. In addition, the Church possibly might be trying to deal with people who have serious issues - somewhat akin to those who are scrupulous.
 
The first time one receives in a day may be during Mass or another time, as when Communion is brought to the sick.

But the SECOND time in a day MUST be at a Mass, barring the Viaticum.
 
I recently was informed that according to Canon Law a Catholic may receive the Eucharist twice in one day, assuming they participated in the masses. But why couldn’t someone receive three times or more if they went to three or more masses? It’s not impossible if there are a number of churches in the area or there is an active mass schedule.

I’m just curious if there is a given reason or maybe that I was misinformed. It just seems odd to me.
Limiting it to twice, with the second time having to be at a Mass in which one has participated, prevents people going from church to church to receive communion over and over again due to scrupulosity or superstition.
 
the reason for it is to discourage an old abuse whereby people would run from church to church, receive communion, then scurry to the next church, without ever participating at Mass. because their practice seemed to assume that if once is good, more is somehow better, denying the true nature of the presence of Christ we receive in communion.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top