Receiving the Eucharist

• Thread starter Thread starter Louchis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Louchis

When I entered the Church as a young woman convert, I understood, as did practicing Catholics, that one should never approach the altar and receive Holy Communion unless one is in a state of grace with the firm intention to remain so with the help of God’s grace. The priest did not refuse communion to anyone unless the priest knew beforehand that the communicant was a scandalous and outspoken foe of the Church and outwardly denied a dogmatic teaching of the faith publicly. The hullaboloo over the pro-abortion politicians and some bishop’s heroic stance shows how poorly Catholics have been catechized during the past decades.

More than the politicians are at fault here. The “new-age” theologians, the dumbed-down catechetical publications, the false dependence of “sensibility” rather than rationality and obedience to the faith, the weak-kneed bureaucrats in many diocese offices, and, God bless them, even some of our shepherds have contributed to this serious confrontation.

One cannot be pro-abortion and Catholic at the same time. The obedience of faith, the formation of a catholic conscience, and a change of heart and mind by pro-abortion politicians are needed. We must pray for them, but also refuse to weaken an already weakened belief in the sacredness of the Holy Eucharist by permitting and thereby inviting public and avowed dissenters to receive Holy Communion.

Very well said. Can anyone tell me are catholic politicians able to commit mortal sin, if yes how can they be permited to receive the Holy Eucharist without reconciliation? We all know beliveing in pro-abortion is living in a state of mortal sin and promoting it even worse, I WWJD.

Louchis, I agree completely. I’ve seen some statistics that show that more Lutherans than Catholics now believe in the Real Presence.

JimG

Excellent post. You have hit the nail on the head. Through my years I have often noted that many converts have a better grasp and depth to their faith. God bless you and keep you.

I’ve noticed, from the few Catholics I’ve had a discussion
with, about the Eucharist, that not a one, actually believes
in Trans-substantiation. (I want to emphasize that it’s only
the few I’ve talked to, and don’t mean to imply anything
even close to a broad brush). One in particular, that
he knows what the doctrine is, but he does take communion
seriously-as a commemoration-, and laments that
many around him talk casually, even joking during the
time of communion. At least he is somewhat bemused
by this, I don’t think he’s exactly appalled by it, but it’s
interesting that even other Catholics I talk to, observe the
Sacraments more out of obedience, seemingly out of habit
more than reverence. It seems a lot of the Catholics I know
in my circles regard Catholicism as a cultural by-product
more than a deep faith. Funny, while I’m starting to look into
and begin exploring some of the basics of Catholicism,
being ever increasingly aware of some ‘holes’ in my non-denominational theology, it amazes me that so many
who should know better about the RCC can be so non-chalant
about their faith.

Jeff

Unfortunately, there are a lot of Christians out there who don’t know exactly what they believe. Be careful not to compare the worst Catholics with the “best” Protestants, though. I know plenty of on-fire Catholics who know what they believe and are exellent role-models.

40.png
Jeff_B:
I’ve noticed, from the few Catholics I’ve had a discussion
with, about the Eucharist, that not a one, actually believes
in Trans-substantiation. (I want to emphasize that it’s only
the few I’ve talked to, and don’t mean to imply anything
even close to a broad brush). One in particular, that
he knows what the doctrine is, but he does take communion
seriously-as a commemoration-, and laments that
many around him talk casually, even joking during the
time of communion. At least he is somewhat bemused
by this, I don’t think he’s exactly appalled by it, but it’s
interesting that even other Catholics I talk to, observe the
Sacraments more out of obedience, seemingly out of habit
more than reverence. It seems a lot of the Catholics I know
in my circles regard Catholicism as a cultural by-product
more than a deep faith. Funny, while I’m starting to look into
and begin exploring some of the basics of Catholicism,
being ever increasingly aware of some ‘holes’ in my non-denominational theology, it amazes me that so many
who should know better about the RCC can be so non-chalant
about their faith.

Jeff
Sounds like you need to change circles. Everyone I know takes it very seriously.

40.png
JimG:
Louchis, I agree completely. I’ve seen some statistics that show that more Lutherans than Catholics now believe in the Real Presence.

JimG
Jim, I was astonished yesterday when my mother in law told me that the Eucharist was a “symbol” and that she loves the Catholic Church because it’s open and accepting of ALL people, regardless of what they believe. I am utterly appalled by this, and she, a cradle 74 year old Catholic, and ME, a 42 year old who only converted to the faith 7 years ago! I think that her parish is very “liberal” and her priest is feeding them some quirky stuff, OR she is hearing what SHE wants to believe.

40.png
SwissGuard:
Unfortunately, there are a lot of Christians out there who don’t know exactly what they believe. Be careful not to compare the worst Catholics with the “best” Protestants, though. I know plenty of on-fire Catholics who know what they believe and are exellent role-models.
yes, I can agree with this. I have studied the faith ever since I became Catholic, and have become VERY firm in what I believe, and have found that I am very traditional…and my mother-in-law is very liberal, if not borderline dissenting from Catholicism, even though she says she’d never leave the Church. I often think the Church for her is a political arena rather than Christ Himself leading her into eternity with our Father. It saddens me.

I am a new convert to the Catholic Faith (confirmed at Easter Vigils, 2004)

I came from the churches of Christ (non-instrumental, if that has meaning for you)… I was writing a book on the Lord’s Supper (the c of C’s term for the Eucharist) and how the Lord’s Supper had lost its meaning since the beginning of the “c of C’s Restoration Movement”-- To make a painfully “long story short,” I realized when researching the Early Church Fathers that the Fathers believed in the ACTUAL PRESENCE of our Lord in the Eucharist… And more amazingly, I realized the significance of Jesus’ words “this IS my body, this IS my blood.”

It opened my eyes, I opened my heart and prayed for guidance, and here I am… I am a Roman Catholic Christian who has come to “experience” our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in the Eucharist…

I have never been more convicted of my “Salvation” in all of my life… Once I submitted (and humbled) myself unto an Authority “higher than my own interpretations of the Scriptures” I experienced the Holy Spirit for the first time in my life…

Yes, it troubles me that some in our Catholic Faith do not acknowledge the true presence of our Lord, yet, I pray that they will… When I attended my first Mass I realized (actualized) all that I had missed in my Faith Journey… I wept and now I pray that they will too, the next time they participate in the Mass… I pray that they will “experience” our Lord when they partake…

My prayer is that those who see the Eucharist (only) as a “symbol” will soon partake of Christ in the Eucharist… There is no greater Mystery that we can experience here upon this Earth…

in peace,

todd

40.png
MaryLynne:
…I was astonished yesterday when my mother in law told me that the Eucharist was a “symbol” and that she loves the Catholic Church because it’s open and accepting of ALL people, regardless of what they believe.
I have found indifferentism to be the heresy most prevalent today. It does not help matters that promoters of the heresy mistake tolerance as indifference. Catholic leadership has been a bit foggy at times, I think, as well.

All will be clarified, however. After all, at one time Arianism infected all but a small minority of bishops, and while it still is out there today, its adherents are small in number.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back